It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying land. Is Canada good?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have been in the market to buy land for the last year or so and i'm really taking my time to make sure I make the right buy.

Anyway, I have an opportunity to buy 40 acres in Ontario of undeveloped land for an extremely good price ....a price that would be impossible to get land for anywhere in the U.S.

Has a stream, rolling hills, tillable soil, etc. Anyone here own land or is planning on owning land in Canada?

What about the growing season? Its rather short and has loooooong winters....

Advice? The land is near Timmins, ON and being originally from Chicago, I'm used to to super cold and hrash winters with lake effect snow.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by dominicus]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Canada is awesome
if you have ok water on the property...potable?
no one has been dumping toxic waste? on or near by?
everything is possible after that.

what kind of road in?/Access?
is the land accesible in winter?
is the tillable land full of rocks?
swampy...?
hydro? can cost a lot to run a line in...
as long as you are in a 3 guardening zone a little green house will do wonders...which is the southern 2 /3rds of the province...

if you post roughly what part of the province, I could be more specific though you don't need to be too exact...
prime cottage areas may require expensive septic systems prior to building, but in the northern hunting camp zoning it may not...

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
www.markcullen.com...

is a gardening zone map for Canada, and/or just Ontario.

I am in Saskatchewan, my growing season is short. Ontario as far as I know has a really good growing season, many organic farms out there.

If you're going to build a house or cabin, it's always a good idea to have a small tractor to clear snow easily in the winter. And a snowmobile just for winter fun.

That said, everyone who moves here loves it. It is very peaceful on acreage, with the deers running through, and all the wild birds

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Anywhere you do buy land there are Zones, growing zones, those places that can support growing veggies and flowers.

In BC they are Zone 8b which puts them slightly more like my 8a, although I am in the desert southwest.

The Zones are a measure of the highs and lows, especially the lows because not all plants are frost-proof, and the zones will measure the length of "growing time" in one year.

The next thing to account for is the Annual Rainfall, or the availability of water on the property. There will always be dry-spells anywhere and those moments might require that you water the crops versus nature watering them.

As for TEOTWAWKI, you should put elevation into this equation. Take for instance the reason for the Queen and ole Bushy Baby for buying land up in Argentina, they know they need it! Take for instance the reason for the Denver International Airport and all that come with that conspiracy. Personally I would not trust anything under 2000 ft above sea level, and ideally 6000 ft would be perfect.

What you can grow in those varying elevations is going to make a difference in your survival. That is if this is your reason for buying so you can self-sustain yourself, your family, and keep your livestock healthy and productive.

Ask yourself, do I have time to build the outbuildings to house myself, my supplies, and my animals? You might want to purchase land with pre-existing out-buildings. You can always go with a Yurt or a Teepee.

Timeliness is probably your biggest opponent in this process. Will the Dollar collapse tomorrow? I know I was just reading some figures and to know that our Debt has exceeded the GDP, then it is only a matter of time. Better pay cash and do a Quit-claim if you can.

Be sure and secure your water rights and your mineral rights! Otherwise they can take the land from under you and leave you what is above ground.

Better get those fruit trees started now if you want them producing in time! Better get the berry vines going!

Then you have to get there and stay there or else it was all in vain!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If you can survive the winter Canada is great if your buying in northern Ontario, Its cool summers and freezing winters. If your down south, near Ottawa, Kitchener, Toronto, North Bay. You get a lot of snow and hot summers.

I've live in southern Ontario and you actually go from a temp of what feels like 45 to a temp that feels like -45, Celsius that is. Other than the intense weather its beautiful here. Just make sure if you go to Quebec you speak a little french.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
My guardening book calls everything Cullens map says is south of a two a three, so check what the scale represents according to the author of the scale, and against your wish list...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i would have to say! NB outside of moncton or fredericton. the land is beautiful quiet and cheap! lots of nature around.

check it out! good farming seasons, but some fairly harsh winters. loved this winter barely any snow and summer has been amazing this year!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The land is near Timmins, ON and being originally from Chicago, I'm used to to super cold and hrash winters with lake effect snow.

The growing zone doesnt look like it can produce much

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Why buy land when you are entitled to any number of acres you see fit if you have this in your claim of right and if you a natural born Canadian citizen. Any unoccupied habitable piece of land in Canada is up for grabs and the price tag is $0.

If you want more information I can link you to some more Freeman Sites.

forum.worldfreemansociety.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Why buy land when you are entitled to any number of acres you see fit if you have this in your claim of right and if you a natural born Canadian citizen. Any unoccupied habitable piece of land in Canada is up for grabs and the price tag is $0.

If you want more information I can link you to some more Freeman Sites.

forum.worldfreemansociety.org...

Whoa! Are you telling me I can get free land!?!?!? I checked out your link and don't see any mention of getting acres of land for 0$. Could you elaborate on that a little please?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Whoa! Are you telling me I can get free land!?!?!? I checked out your link and don't see any mention of getting acres of land for 0$. Could you elaborate on that a little please?

there is a law even in the U.S. that if you live on some land somewhere for a certain period of time it becomes yours. Its a sort of loophole. In the U.S. you have to live there for 7 years or somethingof that extent.

I'd rather just pay for it and have ease of mind ...this technique has too many risks associated with it

new topics

top topics

join