It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian S-300s in Abkhazia block possible Israeli air route to Iran

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

[snip]

On a side issue Russia can't lose here on the Take out Iran issue. They get a foothold in the ME with Iran/ they get massively inflated revenue for their oil and gas exports if Iran is taken out.

Mod Edit - removed off topic remark

[edit on 17-8-2010 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
more tiger wrestling and T-rex hunting from mother russia.

Let them pound their chests...they don't want a war with the USA or Israel and they know it.

P.S. Corona sucks

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Snarf]

Ha! Rephrase that to the US wouldn't want a war with Russia and you'll be right.

That's all i'm saying.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This "state of the art" missle system is nothing but a SA-10 with new electronics. The S-300 system has been around since the late 70's, while it can knock down airplanes. Both the US and Isreal, and well every other country with a first rate military knows how to defeat these systems, and can and will, if they decide to attack.

Just my .02, but the S-300 isn't that scary.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

I still believe that Russia is looking for a reason to rally the troops against us.
Of course we brought allot of these problems on ourselves... But... I have a feeling, our enemies are going to be crawling out of the woodwork..

If Russia and Iran were to attack us in Iraq... I think that 4 to 5 would join the fight against us IMMEDIATLY!

But.... Call me arrogant.. I think USA/Israel/UK could take on anyone that wanted to belly up to the big boys table...

Dont cry warmonger!!!.. I am fully aware that I am twisted when it comes to ww3.. I want it to happen..

Unfortunatly...... I think we will see another New Year without ww3.

[snip]

Mod Edit- removed off topic remark.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Its fairly easy to start war with Israel, IF Lebanon shoot 1 of their violating jets.
Israel jets violate again, as usual

The WW scenario is dim, no fireworks, lets wait till Sunday.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hummm listen it is debka stuff

Bushehr is 1200 kilometre south of Tehran, and Georgia territory is almost 1000 km north of Iran, there is no way to put any interceptors in that range effectively.

Just my two cents

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's a fair point, the only way they would be of any use would be warning of staging from say, Turkey.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
You do know that one of Israel's main planned attack routes was from Azerbaijan right? Hence the reason for the S-300

Originally posted by amkia
Hummm listen it is debka stuff

Bushehr is 1200 kilometre south of Tehran, and Georgia territory is almost 1000 km north of Iran, there is no way to put any interceptors in that range effectively.

Just my two cents

[edit on 19-8-2010 by princeofpeace]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
You do know that one of Israel's main planned attack routes was from Azerbaijan right? Hence the reason for the S-300

This information is based on what facts exactly?

Azerbaijan would never cooperate with Israel, or US for that matter, on something like this. Azerbaijan has little to gain, and a lot is at stake. Iran has disputes with Azerbaijan over oil-rich part of the Caspian Sea, and Iran's military can roll over Azerbaijan with ease if it wanted to. If Israel was to strike Iran, it would only be an isolated precision strike on the nuclear assets, while Iran's military would be intact. And there is no way either Israel or US can defent Azerbaijan if Iran decides to lay claim to the disputed region.

On top of that, Azerbaijan is actually partnering with Russia in terms of defense recently. There is even talk about Russia selling S-300 to Azerbaijan.

Any rumors about Azerbaijan being a staging ground for an attack on Iran are absolutely unfounded. And so are the rumors about the Abkhazia S-300 installations having anything to do with Iran.

Even if you look at Azerbaijan, it is far from Abkhazia (do not confuse with South Ossetia). Abkhazia is in the east of the Caucasus, while all of Azerbaijan's major airfields are on the far West, well out of effective range of any S-300.

Debka and the BS it publishes is worth junk. Whoever writes their sensationalist crap knows nothing about geography, politics, or the military.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If you truly want to know the most realistic reason behind the strategic placement of these S-300, here it is:

More control for Russia over the Black Sea airspace. Russia already made it clear that it has vested interest in the geopolitics of the Caucasus region, as well as the Eastern Black Sea region overall. In case another conflict breaks out, and like during the August War either US, NATO, or Turkey get the bright idea to move their warships or even carriers into the Black Sea, Russia will have much of the region covered with effective air defense. Remember that the S-300 is as much an anti-cruise missile system, as it is an anti-aircraft system. Its strategic deployment can significantly neutralize most types of missiles that the US/NATO navy have in their inventory.

Of course any possibly conflict with US or NATO in the Black Sea is a long shot, but this scenario makes far more sense than the Iran rumors. If anything, it sends a signal to possible supporters of Georgia that Russia is ready in case of another escalation.

Additionally, keep in mind that Abkhazia is right next to Sochi, where the Winter Olympics will be held in 3 years. Russia promised that as a condition to holding the games, it will provide complete air defense all around the perimeter of the region which includes Abkhazia. This might also discourage Saakashvilli from launching any Olympic Surprises ala 8/8/2008.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by maloy]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Oh my God, the Crazies on this site...

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by hornyana_jones

Israel wants a conflict between Russia and the US so it can take down Iran.

Very tricky there Israel, you little devilish Zionists..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join