It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School changes football practice to night because of Ramadan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
reply to post by DrJay1975

I'm offended by this. There is no way developing children or young adults should be encouraged by a school to be up at 3AM in the morning.

I am offended by you discriminating against 3am; the wee hours of the morning never did anything to you, so why don't you just leave them alone.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Logarock

Different calendar. Ramadan started at a different point on "our" calendar last year. It moves approx 11 days a year.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

So you would be OK with a pre-game prayer for a majority Christian team?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
"Legendary Christian coach canned after student converts".....at same school in question!!

Despite Marszalek's success, however, Principal Imad Fadlallah of Dearborn's Fordson High School ordered the administration not to renew the coach's contract, allegedly in retaliation over the student's conversion and to continue a campaign of flushing Christianity out of the school.

LOOK AT THIS

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Has anyone ever heard of curfews? Not only are they catering to Muslims they are breaking local laws in the process.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Carseller4

I fail to see the relevance to a thread about when a football team practices. But I'll answer the question. No, I wouldn't have a problem with a team prayer, regardless of the denomination(s) involved.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Could you share the specifics of the local curfew laws with us?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
reply to post by eNumbra

Has anyone ever heard of curfews? Not only are they catering to Muslims they are breaking local laws in the process.

Curfews are bullsh* firstly, secondly does this town have curfews? and if so I'm pretty sure they don't apply as these kids would be under supervision.

So I'll ask again, what do you have against the wee hours of the morning. Because that's what this is clearly about: marginalizing the good and often overlooked hours of the day until they all but don't exist.

Maybe we should round up all the 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 AMs and put them into camps.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Could you share the specifics of the local curfew laws with us?

OK.

www.youthrights.org...

For example in the state of Michigan it is illegal for a person under 16 to be out in public between the hours of 12 and 6 AM.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

I'm against the whole concept, but curfews don't apply to school events or normal work schedules. Friday Night football games often go til 11 o'clock, and if you are the travelling team, you may not get home until the wee hours anyway.

On another note, I just realized this is a primarily Muslim school, and what I am about to say will sound intolerant, but how can any self-respecting American High School football team ever get defeated by a Muslim team?

When I was in High School, we lost 3 games in 4 years. I can't imagine the s**t storm in my hometown if we had lost to a Muslim school?!?!?

The whole football team would have had to move and change our identities!

I'm not saying Muslims are not Americans, or that they are not athletic, but in general Football has historically been an American Sport, and America has historically been a Christian Country, and highschool football is a HUGE deal in smalltown America where the Conservatives live. If you get defeated by a Muslim team that practices at night because they Ramadan during the day, then you might want to consider ballet or chess instead of football!

My town would have shrunk away in shame and dried up like a raisin. Disappeared off the map like it was never there. The moon would have fallen from the sky and the rivers would have rerouted around the whole area. It would have been airbrushed from Google Earth and never spoken of again except in nighttime prayers from disavowed young men afraid to show their faces to the football Gods!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Try this Dearborn

DEARBORN: In general, the curfew for everyone under age 17 is 10 p.m.-6 a.m. on weeknights and 11 p.m.-6 a.m. on weekends. This is in effect for public streets, public buildings, parks and other public places. The exceptions are minors accompanied by a parent or designated guardian over age 21 or where work or other legitimate business is being conducted.

I believe a coach qualifies as designated guardian.

[edit on 8/17/2010 by yeahright] extra DIV

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

reply to post by yeahright

So you would be OK with a pre-game prayer for a majority Christian team?

Children pray in school all the time. They even do it before football games. They simply can't be required to pray by a teacher/principle/coach.

Likewise, students aren't being required to go to night football practices, because football is an optional activity.

Besides, you guys are missing the point. This isn't motivated by religion, per se; it's motivated by the coach and the school not wanting to be sued when the players start collapsing on the practice field, but also wanting to field a competitive football team (wins = ticket sales = money) .

That said, while I would object to this as a parent, I also wouldn't be doing cartwheels.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by theWCH]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by theWCH
Besides, you guys are missing the point. This isn't motivated by religion, per se; it's motivated by the coach and the school not wanting to be sued when the players start collapsing on the practice field

Oh I'm not so sure about that. That may be a happy side benefit, but I think the motivation was in fact Ramadan.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join