It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School changes football practice to night because of Ramadan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

During the month of Ramadan, Muslims go without food and drink from sunrise to sunset — an issue if you are trying to play football in the scorching Michigan temperatures this summer.

So Fordson coach Fouad Zaban found a way to keep his players fed and hydrated as they prepare for the season. Practices begin at 11 p.m., and the players are home by 4:30 a.m.

Now I have a question. This is directed to the separation of church and state crowd. Being as your so gung ho to speak out against anything Judeochristian than steps into the public arena how do you feel about this? The 10 commandments outside a court are unacceptable as are Christmas Trees at public schools, morning prayer, the pledge, etc... Well here's a public school that is altering their football teams practice schedule because of a religious holiday.

Is this ok with you? If it were a practice being altered for a Christian holiday I feel like the ACLU would be all over it. But since it's Islam, they won't say anything. And I have a feeling the name calling crowd who cries discrimination everytime there is anything even remotely antimuslim will find a way to support this.

I'm of the opinion that if that's what is best for the team, go for it. But I think this will promote interesting debate.

fhs.dearbornschools.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Do teams practice on Christmas? or Yom Kippur?

The Schools in the American Public Education system grant off for various religious holidays so they have to be respected fairly, all or nothing.

This however, isn't as much about the religious aspect of it being a holy month, but the safety issue of people exerting themselves in hot weather while fasting.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

DrJay1975,

I think it is mighty considerate of the school to allow these guys to continue their practice after normal school hours. As for the question whether or not this should be allowed, I think the only people who can say anything about this are the football players them selfs.

I can imagine they are happy they can continue their practice with all team members fit and present.

Peace

[edit on 17-8-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

It's a non issue and has zero effect on you, me, or Bob. (that is, unless you are a player for this team, or have a child on this team)

I think it is a good idea the coach had. Not to sound stereotypical, but his name seems a bit "Muslim" so there is a chance he himself is Muslim. He probably has more then a few Muslim players considering he made this decision.

The main problem I'd have is making sure the kiddos get a break in there...I'm assuming this is for two-a-days, so there is usually an hour or 2 break...at least I hope. 5 hours of practice straight (and lets be real closer to 6 with how football coaches tell time) is not an easy thing to do.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

We did. But that was soccer...

The Schools in the American Public Education system grant off for various religious holidays so they have to be respected fairly, all or nothing.

If they did 'all' we wouldn't have school. They're obviously being selective, and that in itself is a for of discrimination, imo.

This however, isn't as much about the religious aspect of it being a holy month, but the safety issue of people exerting themselves in hot weather while fasting.

safety is not the job of the coach when it comes from religion. I hope every non-muslim member drops off the team. Let the coach realize what a mistake it was to sacrifice these kids' grades.

Nothing against Islam, I just don't think my tax dollars should be keeping kids from learning as much as they can while at school. School is a waste of money anyway, and now they can't even stay awake during class?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Yes. During college Bowl Season it is sometimes necessary to either be practicing, playing, or travelling on Christmas. College players often sacrifice time with their religions and with their families in order to participate.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne
[

safety is not the job of the coach when it comes from religion. I hope every non-muslim member drops off the team. Let the coach realize what a mistake it was to sacrifice these kids' grades.

Nothing against Islam, I just don't think my tax dollars should be keeping kids from learning as much as they can while at school. School is a waste of money anyway, and now they can't even stay awake during class?

It's still august, the vast majority of schools don't open back up until September.

Nobody's grades are suffering.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Arcane Demesne

First off, safety is the number one issue for any coach of any sport whether it be pop warner or NFL. To say otherwise is stupid.

Second, I'm sure the school would not approve of this if it was when school had started. As I stated earlier, I'm sure this is for what we call two-a-days, a type of practice where there are, you guessed it, two practices in one day. You go in, have meetings, go out to the field and apply what you learned. Then you have usually an hour to chill out and eat, then another round of meetings followed by another round of on field applying. This is impossible to do during school. I'm sure they are still in their summer break.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I applaud the coach for his creativity, but Football is VOLUNTARY!

If a required school activity violated someone's religious right that would be one thing, but a student/athlete volunteers to play football according to the schedule laid out at the beginning of the year. The team should not be altering that schedule to bend to the whims of a few players. This goes against every concept that teamwork is built around. Should we also ask them to not call the football a "pigskin?"

What happens if an important game falls on a religious holiday, or if overtime runs over through prayer time?

And no, I am not picking on Islam, I am picking on any member of any team that thinks the team should adjust to their individual needs!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is all about accomodation. The team is majority Muslim, so accomodations are made. I'm sure the ACLU is 100% OK with this.

The problem arises when accomodations are made for majority Christian teams. Why does the ACLU frown on pre-game prayer...after all this is accomodating a Christian team?

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I applaud the coach for his creativity, but Football is VOLUNTARY!

If a required school activity violated someone's religious right that would be one thing, but a student/athlete volunteers to play football according to the schedule laid out at the beginning of the year. The team should not be altering that schedule to bend to the whims of a few players. This goes against every concept that teamwork is built around. Should we also ask them to not call the football a "pigskin?"

What happens if an important game falls on a religious holiday, or if overtime runs over through prayer time?

And no, I am not picking on Islam, I am picking on any member of any team that thinks the team should adjust to their individual needs!

Hell, in Texas, football, and particularly high school football, is a religion. In some places in West Texas it is the only religion.
If a virgin sacrifice enhanced the odds of winning, the school budgets would have a line item for altars.
No, wait a minute - Texas? virgins? Why do you think the last time a team went undefeated was 1933?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

No, wait a minute - Texas? virgins? Why do you think the last time a team went undefeated was 1933?

LOL! Small-town Missouri is the same way!

On both counts!!

If there were any virgins at the beginning of the year, there sure as hell weren't any after the state championship!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
This is all about accomodation. The team is majority Muslim, so accomodations are made. I'm sure the ACLU is 100% OK with this.

The problem arises when accomodations are made for majority Christian teams. Why does the ACLU frown on pre-game prayer...after all this is accomodating a Christian team?

What if someone say an underage kid in a Muslim family didnt want to fast at all durring Ramadan? What would the ACLU do then?

What if other players on the team, non-muslim didnt want to go through all of this. I mean they have tossed whole deals out the window for the sake of one or two kids that didnt want to do something thought to be christain.

The ACLU is about worthless really.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I believe the freedom of religion is important in this country. You should be free to exercise your beliefs. I just don't think religions should be catered to. If it's in your religious views to fast all day, well, then maybe depleting yourself of calories then exercising might not be in your best interest. But that is on the student, not the school. If you CHOOSE to fast, the school shouldn't cater.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I'm offended by this. There is no way developing children or young adults should be encouraged by a school to be up at 3AM in the morning.

As for the Ramadan thing, people are getting their panties in a twist over nothing. America has real problems to worry about without considering silly non-issues like whether a holiday is religion-based-brainwashing or nationalism-based-brainwashing like presidents day.

I'd be all for eliminating all federal national holidays. The feds who earn 2x private salaries can get their asses to work for the money we are paying them. And schools could then pick whatever days they want off to their hearts content for any silly reason they want. Problem solved.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Let's consult the article-

The biggest surprise for Zaban was how well the change was accepted by the players at a school coming off a one-loss season and with four state titles and three runner-up finishes since it opened in 1928. The bonus is that it is significantly cooler at 11 p.m. than it is at 11 a.m.

"I was really excited, I love it. All the guys do," Fordson running back-cornerback Rabeah Beydoun said. "For one thing, it's under the lights. It's like game time. Second, we can actually eat and come out here. Third, we've got fans who come out and support us at night."

According to the article, one parent complained.

So, it's their team, their choice. Sounds like a sensible decision to me. I can't imagine why anyone outside the team would care, unless they're looking for reasons to be offended.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Exactly!

You have competing interests in a team environment. That is why you make the requirements of the team known up front and you make participation voluntary and restricted to those individuals that will follow the team regimen.

Lack of sunlight causes seasonal depression. Sleeping during daytime hours and outside of your normal circadian rhythm is often unrestorative.

Therefore, some members of this team could claim that this schedule is damaging to the physically and mentally. It could be hurting their athletic performance, it will be harder to adjust to the school schedule when it starts in a couple of weeks. The physical demands of practice are probably not recovering and healing as fast.

This coach has doomed his team to a listless bunch of lowered morale and physically exhausted pansies for a football team! Way to go coach!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

You're not supposed to "love" football practice!?! It is supposed to be hard! Inconvenient. Require sacrifice. It is barely a step below boot camp.

I guess time will tell. They are coming off a 1-loss season. If they go downhill this season, then we will know that the coach made an error in his decision making. If they have a great year, then I would expect other coaches to try it. Let the W-L record speak for itself I guess.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

YR, I dont really care. What if more parents complained? In many cases the ACLU has only needed one person to upset years of tradition in some cases. In fact the ACLU will look for that one person and then make a case against the rest for the sake of one.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What did they do last year? Why the sudden super observation of Ramadan?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join