It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invasion of the superbugs: As we run out of weapons to fight them, what you can do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Invasion of the superbugs: As we run out of weapons to fight them, what you can do

www.dailymail.co.uk

A killer bug spreading across the globe like wildfire sounds like something out of a bad sci- fi film. But while this is still the stuff of fantasy, microbiologists are concerned about the news of an enzyme with the potential to convert all bacteria into superbugs resistant to treatment.

New Delhi Metallo-1 (NDM-1) is already widespread in India and Pakistan, according to the Lancet Infectious Disease journal. There have also apparently been 50 cases in Britain.

Worryingly, NDM-1 appears to destroy a major group of antibiotics, the carbapenems - one of the last still to work against ot
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals
Superbug "MRSA" Now Transmitted Sexually

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
PANIC!!! TERROR!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

Oh right it's the Daily Mail. Sensationalism aside this is pretty scary, there have been a few threads on the subject over the past few days, which I will link in.

'Research to find new antibiotic treatments seems to be of critical importance, but, as Professor Enright explains, the big pharmaceutical companies are just not investing in the research.'

Thanks for that guys, glad to know you've got our backs. No surprises here, the article rightly suggests that antibiotic production just isn't as profitable and the mortality rates for these new strains has been relatively low so far. Hence no new antibiotics. The article does nothing to disguise the fact that Big Pharma is simply a Big Business. There is no humanitarian intention in there.

Now I realise that a system of perpetual motion has been set up, the more antibiotics developed, the more resistant strains crop up, cest la vie. However I would have thought the best idea would be to continually develop new antibiotics to combat resistant strains, whilst simultaneously reducing antibiotic use amongst the population where it isn't necessary.

Perhaps this question could be better answered by another more experienced member;

Is there a finite limit to antibiotic production?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

To add the 'what you can do to protect yourself' dilemma is solved in the article apparently by adhering to the concept of common sense...

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
perhaps these super bugs are a blessing in disguise, survival of the fittest you know. No more overpopulation etc.?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by raivo

Well the Malthusian school of thought has always been that when a population reaches a certain level there are 'checks' which occur, to reduce the population. These 'checks' take the form of famine, pestilence and war.

I will say I do feel that the human race is long overdue for a nasty pandemic, however I don't feel this is it.

new topics

top topics

join