It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The name "Cordoba House" does not imply an Islamic take over or "conquering" of ground zero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
There has been a lot of backlash against the The Cordoba initiative building a mosque ( included in the Cordoba House) near ground zero, and until recently I was one of many people who believed that building the mosque was completely disrespectful to the families of the victim of the 9/11 attacks. After all, the name Cordoba references a city in Spain conquered by the Muslims in the 8th century. To me this seemed like a blatant reference to an Islamic "take over" or "conquering" of America.

Well folks, there's more to the story. What the mosque protesters fail to mention is that Cordoba was a major center of education, economy and culture in Europe and that Jews, Muslims, and Christian all lived in the city peacefully.

Córdoba’s greatest years of glory, however, were from 756 to 1031, when it was the capital of al-Andalus (Islamic Spain). It was during this period that the Great Mosque was built, the first part in the 8th century and the fourth and final section, in the late 10th century. Its progressive growth mirrored the increasing importance of Córdoba, which in the 10th century was the largest and greatest city in Europe.

Its size at its peak is debatable; estimates have ranged from an unlikely 1.000.000 to 90,000, still a significant number when no other city in Europe exceeded 50,000. The city dazzled with its civilised air and multicultural activity, with Muslims, Jews, and Christians (called mozárabes) mingling at all levels. The Christians enjoyed the privilege of being served by a bishop, while in the 10th century the Jews could count on the services of the extraordinary figure of Hasdai ibn Shaprut, personal physician to the Caliph, adviser, diplomat, scholar, benefactor and patron.

Source: www.spainthenandnow.com...

More info: www.whatcordoba.com...

Yes Cordoba was taken over by the Moors but other religions also thrived in the city. There was no mass Jihad as some people like to mention. It's all lies. People try to make you believe that the reference to Cordoba is a reference to the take over of America, but that simply isn't the case. The organization is simply making a reference to a city where the three major religions all lived peacefully under Muslim rule (and seeing as the Cordoba Initiative is an Islamic organization, the name goes perfectly with what they are trying to achieve)

Anyway, my point is don't let the "history" of Cordoba lead you to question the Cordoba Initiative's motives. I think the organization means well and I don't think they are trying to be disrespectful. I hope this helps someone who was misled as I once was.

* I’m still not certain if I support the building the Mosque close to ground zero but I’m starting to open up to the idea.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Adillin2012]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Adillin2012

S&F! Thanks for the reminder of which the history is intentionally forgotten.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
how do you feel about the mosque that predates the WTC that is only another couple blocks from 'ground zero'?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 54v!0r531f

and you believe 9/11 was blamed on al-qaeda? or bin laden? then the purposes of the tragic incident were effective.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 54v!0r531f

If the mosque was already there before the attacks it should stay right where it is. Trying to move it or shut it down now would be a blatant display of intolerance and bigotry. Muslims were already discriminated against after 9/11 and people should be aware now that NOT ALL Muslims are terrorists.

As for the current situation, I honestly wish that an interfaith center could be built. No matter what the organization's intentions are, I think that building an Islamic community center after the attacks is a bit tasteless, especially since the official story claims that Islamic extremists attacked the twin towers. An interfaith center would better promote acceptance and integration.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by my_republic

Thank you! I just didn't want people to be deceived like I was. I always try to get the full picture before giving my opinion on a subject and when I looked up the history of the city I was upset that so many people were spreading half truths.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
www.torontosun.com...

The idea that Cordoba House is some kind of beachhead for a Shariah-inspired takeover of America is absurd, of course, and that kind of fear mongering simply feeds the flames of the Islamic radicals and their insane dream of a clash of civilizations. Nevertheless, constructing a mosque that close to Ground Zero is insensitive and unnecessary.

wonkroom.thinkprogress.org...

from better sources.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Well to be quite honest I dont want there friendship I want my dead relatives back.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Thanks for the links. They were very interesting articles

reply to post by FrancoUn-American

I understand your frustration, but I think it's unfair to say that all Muslims are terrorists and that they are all responsible for the death of your family members. That's like saying all Asians are good at math or all African-Americans are criminals. We need to move beyond that.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Thanks for this.

I knew that it was odd that the people spreading this "information" were going back about 1400 years to pick and choose the more horrible aspects (wars happen) and ignoring the good things about Cordoba and peaceful coexistence in this renaissance city in all the ensuing centuries, but didn't have these details.

Have you seen the Cordoba fearmongering advertisement that ran or is running on Fox? I have it in my Deconstructing Disinformation thread called The War for Your Mind: "Ground Zero Mosque" , where I am attempting to collect all the information, misinformation, and disinformation about this issue.

I would like to add a link to this thread if you don't mind.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

No I haven't seen it yet but I'm headed over to your thread right now (I was there last night but I was too tired to get through everything).

Also, I don't mind if you provide a link. I'm just glad the information I posted is useful to some.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Cordoba isn't the only place where "progressive" Islam existed for an extended period of time and harmoniously included all "People of the Book".
That's all great, however let me comment:

Just like with Christianity, for one act of openness and tolerance Islam will have a few counts of the opposite. The tragic symbolism of 9/11 shows exactly that. If you read the news, they are still stoning people in a few places (and kill pregnant women with a 9mm automatic, for alleged adultery).

It's really not relevant that Cordoba might have been a high point of Islamic civilization. If so many people do oppose the Center, the Muslims really should have some sensitivity and withdraw the plans. What makes sense constitutionally doesn't always make sense practically. We don't open a US Air Force museum in Hiroshima, next to the memorial park, even though it's completely technically possible.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I agree that it can be seen as disrespectful and I'm not supporting the Cordoba Initiative's plans. I'm just mentioning that there is a lot of false information and half truths floating around and my thread is showing one aspect of the misinformation we are receiving. Check out ~Lucidity's thread as well. You can be against building the mosque but don't let disinfo sway your opinion.

top topics

join