It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's and Natural Phenomena

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I'm very skeptical, though not totally closed-minded, as to the existence of extra-terrestrials predominantly for the reason that in order for them to traverse this kind of distance, they would have to have technology far in excess of what we possess today, and thus raises the question why they would need manned space-vehicles?

Regardless, I have looked into a list of natural phenomena, as well as man-made objects, that in some cases that can be mistaken for Unidentified Flying Objects.

One is seismic activity, and magnetic fields. There was a doctor named Michael Persinger who experimented on people (I know some were consentual, I hope all were, but I'm not sure) using a modified bicycle helmet which was fitted with a device that emitted weak magnetic fields. It produced a variety of neurological abnormalities including out of body experiences and could in some cases make one feel as if they are in the presence of another being, even though nobody else was there.

One of the studies he did included locations of UFO sightings and correlated them with areas that were known to have tectonic instability (which can produce piezoelectric effects, and thus electromagnetic fields) and thus could potentially cause such effects, either subjective (hallucinations), or objective (actual glowing, sometimes, phenomena similar to the northern lights were seen in areas where Earthquakes occurred) which were consistent with a number of UFO sightings, or some combination of both -- something which included objective visual effects, but also subjective effects such as a person interpreting a glow as being the Virgin Mary or something. Some UFO-logists have actually stated that generally the UFO's tended to follow earth's magnetic fields, interestingly...

Now, I won't say with 100% certainty that all UFO's seen were the result of abnormalities in Earth's magnetic field, though I do believe there were some that were. One case I remember was an Iranian F-4 pilot who encountered some kind of UFO that appeared in visual range, then appeared to "jump" extremely rapidly from one location to another several miles away. It temporarily disabled some of his aircraft's electronic systems -- if I recall correctly, this was in the 1970's. Iran, to the best of my knowledge has tectonically unstable areas in it's territories, or in the nearby areas. During 2003 (I think) interestingly a large earthquake occurred in a city, with the ironic nickname "Bam". It caused devastating damage and produced a massive death-toll (which was largely due to poor construction in the area).

As for man-made causes, the most likely culprits would be black-aircraft designs, or deliberate manipulation.

Black aircraft designs are known to exist, some obviously look like aircraft, others look very radical in design and could be mistaken for something from outer-space. Hypersonic designs, for example often come in the form of highly swept isoceles triangles, and ogival shapes, and such, which are unusual looking, especially to people who have a significantly limited knowledge of aircraft.

As for deliberate manipulation, I have heard anecdotes (take of that as you will) of some circumstances where our government allegedly staged what would appear to be UFO sightings (Such as a circumstance in the Southwest, I think Arizona, where a bunch of lights were seen in the sky) as to cover up something else going on nearby, and discredit any unusual sightings as being the hallucinations of a bunch of lunatics.

Will I say with 100% certainty that all UFO sightings are only the result of these circumstances? I won't. But I think at the very least a great many could be explained away using just the list of circumstances which I provided.

KJ Lesnick

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by KJ_Lesnick

Hiya, there are some decent ideas in there. Seismic activity causes 'Earth Lights' which dance across the sky along the tectonic plates. They can look pretty magical and open to interpretation. Then we have sunlight on clouds, ball lightning, lenticular clouds, Venus and the Moon reflected in clouds. Throw in autokinetic effects that make points of light (stars and planets) appear to move against a dark background...try it with a pinhole camera in a dark room. Oh yeah...mirages, superior mirages and temperature inversions get thrown out there too!

In just about every study into the UFO phenomena by scientists, military and serious UFO researchers they allow for these things. In fact, they make every effort to explain reports by one of the above. In the studies there remains between 5% and 20% that can't be explained by anything we know of. Some from the Blue Book or Condon report are returned to time after time and still remain unexplained.

Others are 'explained away.' For example the UK's Flying Saucer Working Party investigated a sighting described as a flying saucer. It was seen in two different locations by RAF personnel (6 guys in total) in broad daylight. The study decided it was an optical illusion.

The trick is to try and forget about extraterrestrials and space travel. Just focus on the phenomena. We don't know what they are...so it's too early to call them ET! Here's a couple of incidents that remain unexplained and didn't happen in the damn 50s!

My name is Wilfried De Brouwer. I am a retired Major General of the Belgian Air Force and I was Chief Operations in the Air Staff when an exceptional UFO wave took place over Belgium. Indeed, during the evening of 29 November 1989, in a small area in Eastern Belgium, approximately 140 UFO sightings were reported. Hundreds of people saw a majestic triangular craft with a span of approximately 120 feet, powerful beaming spot lights, moving very slowly without making any significant noise but, in several cases, accelerating to very high speeds.
Statement: Major General De Brower

They all observed a stationary object in the sky which looked like a balloon, at about three miles distance, and approximately 1,800 feet altitude. It was luminous because it reflected the sun. My unit commander ordered me to takeoff in my Sukoi -22 jet to shoot down the spherical object. It was in restricted airspace, without clearance, and we were concerned about espionage. I approached the object and strafed sixty-four 30mm shells at it. Some projectiles went towards the ground, and others hit the object fully, but they had no effect at all. The projectiles didn’t bounce off; probably they were absorbed. The cone-shaped “wall of fire” that I sent out would normally obliterate anything in its path .
Statement: Oscar Huertas, Peruvian Air Force 1980

If you have time on your hands, there's a great science paper that really investigates the phenomena...A Comparative Analytical and Observational Study of North American Databases on Unidentified Aerial Phenomena. Probably easier reading, but still intelligent is Hoyt's thesis on UFOs...UFOs, Social Intelligence, and the Condon Committee.

Both should be required reading by anyone with an interest in UFOs..at least I think so.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Ive personally witnessed UFO activity since i was 11 years old. I'm currently 50. and in all the years and countless sightings, Ive never once seen anything that looked like a natural phenomenon. first off natural phenomenons don't travel at excessive high rates of speed then stop in mid flight, then make sharp right or left angle turns. secondly they don't speed across the sky then stop and not move, then disappear like they were never there. I could go on and on and on with what Ive seen, and with many witnesses for all these years, but what i will say is if you want to see UFOs? go to Collins Missouri and spend a few weeks watching the sky's at night and you'll see all the UFO activity you'll ever want to see......I assure you, you wont be disappointed

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Kandinsky,

Hiya, there are some decent ideas in there. Seismic activity causes \'Earth Lights\' which dance across the sky along the tectonic plates. They can look pretty magical and open to interpretation. Then we have sunlight on clouds, ball lightning, lenticular clouds, Venus and the Moon reflected in clouds. Throw in autokinetic effects that make points of light (stars and planets) appear to move against a dark background...try it with a pinhole camera in a dark room. Oh yeah...mirages, superior mirages and temperature inversions get thrown out there too!

In just about every study into the UFO phenomena by scientists, military and serious UFO researchers they allow for these things.

Yeah, it\'s important to weed those things out before immediately jumping to conclusions.

In fact, they make every effort to explain reports by one of the above. In the studies there remains between 5% and 20% that can\'t be explained by anything we know of.

I assume they counted the possibility of experimental aircraft, that could easily explain a number of things.

The trick is to try and forget about extraterrestrials and space travel. Just focus on the phenomena.

Agreed, there are so many environmental phenomena that can duplicate the bulk of what people have seen.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by KJ_Lesnick]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KJ_Lesnick

Did they count the possibility of experimental aircraft, and such?

You'd know more about that than me. The projects were carried out by military scientists and personnel and many were within the USAF. It seems likely they'd be aware of the possibility of experimental aircraft.

top topics

join