It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Gets 2 ½ Years for Breaking Iran Embargo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Man Gets 2 ½ Years for Breaking Iran Embargo

www.nytimes.com

An Iranian immigrant who had earned a Ph.D. from Princeton and aspired to a career in biotechnology was sentenced to two and a half years in prison on Monday for violating the Iran trade embargo by using an informal money-transfer system known as hawala to move millions of dollars between the United States and Iran.

The defendant, Mahmoud Reza Banki, 34, must also pay the government about $3.3 million, which prosecutors say was the amount of money involved in the illegal transactions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I think that this is a little bit excessive. This man might have known he was breaking the embargo on Iran, but even the judge stated that he was not funding terrorism or the Iranian government.

He has already been sitting in jail since Jan. 2010 and he got a two and a half year sentence. He will also have to pay the U.S. government 3.3 million dollars.

IMO The U.S. is really going to be "cracking down" on people who are breaking the embargo on Iran. I also think that it will only be getting worse in the near future. Unfortunately normally law abiding citizens like this guy are paying the price for the leaders of Iran.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
make him pay more and strip his citizenship(his native country citizenship,and his "visa") also; also hold him indefinitely and make sure he has no contact with iran as american public/private/college/university knowledge is a trade secret. also immigrants like himself should be forced to pay social security up to the maximum payout pending their wages of employment, and they can never have or receive federal/state/ or privateamerican services; their home country should becharged twice, once for the importation of skilled labor and a second for the maintenance of this skilled labor within the american citizen base.further even if they marry an american they should not be granted citizenship unless their home county agrees with the proceeding trial of their loss of citizen.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

Or just behead the man, impale his head and stick it in front of the white house. I'm very against violence but in this case its much simpler, less painful (not to mention more effective) than your solution

I thought America was the land of the free... guess you're not all that free after all
. When I think about it, you can't send your money to your friend because your government doesn't like his kind. I understand reasons for embargo but it's basically against what America used to stand for. Anyhow, that's the impression I'm getting.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Yeah, wouldn't it be great.

Buy something on e-bay, pay by pay pal, then have a SWAT team bust down your door because that cook book you bought was printed in Iran.

Welcome to the land of the free.......................

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Funny,
If an American citizen of any other race or faith was caught smuggling 3.3 million dollars to an embargoed country.....hell any country, they would be prosecuted.

This guy is special because the law shouldn't apply to him?

If Iran caught an American smuggling 3.3 million out of the country the penalty would likely be much worse.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
i dont see how he is a law abiding citizen of america; and to further deface america by placing his head on a stake is greater work of equivalence to the thing that was arrested's act.

who cares that you were never american and that you somehow think america has been anything but the hard work of natives and people employed who earned the title of freeman in america.his actions are akin to usurping america for the benefit of a british expedition, or being a sleeper agent for policies that do not hold true for the laws and means of sustenance that is the truth of the mental flagration you have expressed as "america".

if he was embezzling the money on securities he is defrauding commerce; thus his debt to his parent country is truly being or has been paid in the knowledge of his actions and value to servitude and duty.he truly speaks for his nation and america is the victim not iran; just because you act ugly does not mean you are the victim because you see me turn my face at the grotesque nature of your sight or raise a hand to smite your ugly face before it is shown again.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I don’t understand this… (hawala) (hawaleh -ye- mali) is something legal (transfer the money between the accounts).

You mean transferring money between your accounts is illegal in US..??

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
This guy is special because the law shouldn't apply to him?

Why should it apply to him if it doesn't apply to govt.?
There's mass anarchy throughout govt. right now.

And isn't the article title funny?
Embargo?
Lol... It's not an embargo, it's a blockade

An Embargo is just an embargo, a blockade is an act of war

new topics

top topics

join