It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge: State ban on protests at military funerals unconstitutional

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

(a)Sure, you have the rights on other planets and (b)when you are dead.

(c)You make a lot of sense.

A. Planet thing was a joke
B. By at a funeral, I meant attending the funeral
C. Thanks

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I am an American Vet. I fought in Iraq and Afghan, and As much as I wish for those people( protestors) to trip, fall, and land on my boot. I will defend there right to protest. Just as I will defend and join the Patriot Riders to counter Protest an "gaurd" the funerals.

We cant limit one group's right to freedom of speech and Freedom of assembly just because we dont agree with it.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by misinformational
reply to post by Varemia

Your inalienable right of free speech isn't limited to public property.

Then bring it to my private property and I'll exercise my right to bear arms.

Sounds just as reasonable as heckling at a funeral huh?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I've stated my stand on free speech.

Let's say brother Fred loses his case and this expression of speech is lost. The world goes on.

Now I have a problem. I think large groups of noisy motorcycles is a nuisance and their expressions, while commendable, do not reflect the values of ALL Americans. Can't something be done about this, now....

Anyone see the problem with brother Fred losing. Some nutcase will file a new lawsuit against the Patriot Guard and their actions. The precedent has been set.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I think what people are missing, a funeral home/burial is on private property, sure you can come onto private property with permission. BUT, that right to be on property can be revoked because well it's private property. Sure they can voice their opinion under free speech however they can be removed for trespassing on private property very simple way around this issue folks.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
All the PCness around here is a little disturbing. Some people are sympothizing with these protesters. Really? What we need are some anti-douchebag laws. Im all for free speech and everything, but sometimes people need to be taught a lesson in respect. I say, beat the holy hell out of them. If it had been one of my dead family members who they were disrespecting like that i would have come unglued!

MessOnTheFED!

[edit on 17-8-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

So to enforce morality, we should use violence?

There isn't anything to even argue against here. You're just an idiot. Stop.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Can phelps be charged with slander?
I don't know the guy but he needs to be bitch slapped into obscurity.

1.Actionable words, such as those imputing the injured party: is guilty of some offense, suffers from a contagious disease or psychological disorder, is unfit for public office because of moral failings or an inability to discharge his or her duties, or lacks integrity in profession, trade or business;
2.That the charge must be false;
3.That the charge must be articulated to a third person, verbally or in writing;
4.That the words are not subject to legal protection, such as those uttered in Congress; and
5.That the charge must be motivated by malice.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Id rather be an idiot that a whining, tree hugger who lets a piece of paper make decisions for me. To the point where I think things like this are ok. Bend over PC is ready for you.

MessOnTHeFED!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Can phelps be charged with slander?
I don't know the guy but he needs to be bitch slapped into obscurity.

1.Actionable words, such as those imputing the injured party: is guilty of some offense, suffers from a contagious disease or psychological disorder, is unfit for public office because of moral failings or an inability to discharge his or her duties, or lacks integrity in profession, trade or business;
2.That the charge must be false;
3.That the charge must be articulated to a third person, verbally or in writing;
4.That the words are not subject to legal protection, such as those uttered in Congress; and
5.That the charge must be motivated by malice.

Firstly, you openly admit you don't know the guy. Thus you are admitting you are ignorant about him. That isn't bad, but then you say we should once again use violence to enforce what "feels good".

Which as I've said, doesn't warrant an argument. That's just plain dumb.

Phelp's is an interesting character as is his group.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

Id rather be an idiot that a whining, tree hugger who lets a piece of paper make decisions for me. To the point where I think things like this are ok. Bend over PC is ready for you.

MessOnTHeFED!

I'm the politically correct one, supporting an individual in practicing a harmless freedom, while you're crusading for the individual to be attacked.

Say what you want, it doesn't change the fact that you're a twit.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

A harmless freedom would be harmless. I dont believe that was the case here.

Name calling? Wow....

Motf!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Finally, they defend freedom.

Someone should bitchslap Phelps though.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bigshow

They stopped going to the funeral grounds... They would stand at the edge of the property with bullhorns. How many rights are you willing to sacrifice?

[edit on 17-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Maybe you dont realize it but sometimes you are held accountable for your actions. Sometimes words cut deep, sometimes....

Just because a piece of paper says that you can go to a funeral, where they are honoring the deceased, and stary shouting about how you hate this and that and try to get a response out of the crowd. Does that mean you should? Too bad you arent a member of the crap church of lawyers and im not a family member paying my respects.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

A harmless freedom would be harmless.

It's what most people would consider a crazy idiot spouting a crazy opinion that only a crazy idiot would legitimize to begin with.

I mean lets be fair, I'm talking to a crazy idiot right now and as far as I can tell, he's fairly harmless.

Name calling? Wow....

What's worst, the fact that I'm resorting to name calling or the fact that you're calling me out on name calling when you were the first to begin with the name calling to begin with?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I don't think anyone is sympathizing with the protesters. Phelps is disgusting - as has been stating in almost every post.

I am sympathizing with the Constitution. I like that fact that the Constitution protects my right to say whatever the hell I feel like saying - Further I believe we all have this basic human right - And no one (country, god, otherwise) can infringe upon on that right.

Sometimes to ensure that our rights are protected, we have to allow those rights to be abused. Because if we don't, our rights will be slowing chipped away.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Maybe you dont realize it but sometimes you are held accountable for your actions. Sometimes words cut deep, sometimes....

Maybe you haven't realized this yet, but I don't care if you BAAAAAAAAW over what someone says.

Does that mean you should?

I really don't care. You seem to not get that. If someone wants to be an idiot, they can be an idiot. And they can do so without facing legal or violent repercussions.

See, I'm supporting that so much, I don't even have the urge to violently lash out at you...

Too bad you arent a member of the crap church of lawyers and im not a family member paying my respects.

....unlike your incredibly pathetic veiled threat that has the constructiveness I would expect from a grade schooler.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by SpectreDC]

[edit on 17-8-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Phelps and the rest of his Devilish family need to be humbled in a very serious manner. This judge needs to be tared and feathered just for being ignorant of the harm done by Phelps and his dregs of society! 1st amendment or not it's just plain WRONG!

And this is a big part of what's wrong with this country. People pay lip service to "supporting" First Amendment rights as long as they agree with them, but don't understand that a real supporter of the First Amendment will vehemently fight for Phelps' right to express himself.

Have you seen the statue of justice with the blindfold? Do you have a CLUE what that means?

As much as I hate Phelps and his ragtag bunch of cult worshipers, the judge made the right call.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Im pretty sure you are the one who called me an idiot. I guess it is ok for people to disrespect you whenever. Say whatever to you to make you feel like garbage and somehow its ok? I hope you teach your kids that one day. How to not stand up for what is right. Morally right. Because we all know that morality sometimes trumps legality.

MOTF!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join