It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax Myths Mangled

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
So from what i understand, this is saying that 98% of Americans earn under 250,000 dollars a year.

Is that true?, Ive not actualy checkd, however thats quite a frightning disparity in wealth.

According to factcheck.org, 1 in 50 households (or about 2% of households) make more than $250,000 a year.

If you consider the 2010 estimated number of households from the US Census Bureau, that's about 2.3 million households making more than $250k/year.

If you take the same table that's 5,750,000 people making that much money, or (to roundabout our way to the point) 1.87% of the population (based on estimated population of 307 million).

Yes, that is a frightening disparity of wealth.

Originally posted by neo96
iyou wanna know the biggest difference between the rich and you- they dont expect anyone to give them a handout.

Actually, they do. Especially major corporations. Ever hear the term 'corporate welfare'? It's generally not expected of a major business or corporation to pay the full land tax that a smaller business would pay, let alone the infrastructure installed entirely by the city for their proposed buildings.

I enjoy picking on Wal-Mart for this. Wal-mart gets cities to build them roads, water and power lines IN ADDITION to giving them a tax break on land just to build a store somewhere. More information can be found at Walmartsubsidywatch.org

Of course, if you're an elected official and don't give these handouts to the rich, you're a 'job killer' and can count on not getting re-elected because of adding to your community's unemployment. At least, that's what the rich will have you believe.

Edit: Second quote response.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by links234]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

With regards to your original post, and specifically this statement

Now that you are "in the know" as far as taxes and the Bush tax cuts are concerned, we can all have logical debate on this subject. For those who catch a poster typing one of these tax tales, refer them to here

Bearing in mind what i had posted on the first page as a response, are you still interested in logical debate?, are you still willing to refer people to this thread?, or do you accept what you posted was not entirely accurate with regards to Obamas increase in tax and accept he basicaly lied to the America people during his run for the American presidency?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Yes I would have a go at logical debate, yes I would refer peeps to this thread, No you are wrong, and obama has not gone back on his campaign promise of taxes won't go up for 98% of Americans.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Not that anyone is asking me but the way I see it, until an actual legislative bill is proposed, all of this is speculation. Does anyone have the House-number or Senate-number of a proposed bill?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Well again, perhaps it is just a matter of myself just not understanding things, maybe I just do not understand. Obama said

"And I can make a firm pledge: under my plan, no family making less than $250000 a year will see any form of tax increase"

Yet despite saying that, he signd into law the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 which will increase taxes. Can you please explain to me, which is what i cant figure out is, how is it exactly that 98% of the American population will be exempt from paying the Taxes included in this law?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

If you can tell me which taxes are you referring to then I can tell you who is exempt or not.

The only tax I've seen come from it that would affect any of those below the $250k mark is the one that makes you pay for not having insurance.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Nothing personal, man... but he was talking about the IRS federal tax system. You are talking apples and oranges here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the crap that was passed as "Reform" in the health care system. As far as I'm concerned, he didn't go far enough. Should have been single-payer imo... Anyway, if you want that debate, look at the taxes on Alcohol and Tobacco... Obama didn't ask for raises in those areas, yet cigs are more expensive where I live suddenly due to a tax on tobacco by my faithful state legislature.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
What I am saying is everything the OP posted is correct. They are undeniable facts that are only disputed by lies. He will defend that, and so am I. The fact is that many people are being lied to to protect the interests of the very wealthy that really have not paid their fair share of taxes in years. Don't give me any crap about how cutting taxes for them brings us jobs... What they have done is pocket the money, and ship the jobs overseas to China where they can pay people 22 cents per hour on a 12 hour shift. You want to bring jobs back to America? The only way to do that is fair trade... Not free trade. There is a big difference.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The one FACT that has not been brought up in this thread, is that if Congress does NOTHING (and so far they haven't done anything relative to allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire), then ALL of the tax cuts will expire by a previous act of Congress. In other words, unless Congress agrees to EXTEND the cuts for the lower brackets, those rates will AUTOMATICALLY revert to the higher rates.
Given the fact that the Democrats do not have 60 votes in the Senate, it is very possible that NOTHING will happen, in which case everyone's tax rate will rise January 1st, 2011.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join