It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Assault on Terrorism Widens on Two Continents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

WASHINGTON — At first, the news from Yemen on May 25 sounded like a modest victory in the campaign against terrorists: an airstrike had hit a group suspected of being operatives for Al Qaeda in the remote desert of Marib Province, birthplace of the legendary queen of Sheba.

But the strike, it turned out, had also killed the province’s deputy governor, a respected local leader who Yemeni officials said had been trying to talk Qaeda members into giving up their fight. Yemen’s president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, accepted responsibility for the death and paid blood money to the offended tribes.

This is a great piece of work, You cannot truly understand this unless you read all 4 pages on the link.

There is a secret war occurring that is not made public to the American citizens and is even rather cloudy to our elected officials who are supposed to oversee and authorize any use of force. It is being approved by the president and our intelligence agencies without Congressional oversight.

While the president is permitted to authorize such actions on occasions he should not be allowed to have a shadow war occurring without public or Congressional knowledge. He has taken the Bush doctrine and expanded it even further, but secretly.

Conducting bombings in a dozen countries in North Africa, Middle East and Central Asia. Without government oversight, even as shadow as that is, there is currently no oversight at all. That is a terrifying injustice to the people of those nations currently under assault, they are ignored in the event of any illegal acts performed upon them by our military. Other than Iraq and Afghanistan there could be countless innocent civilian deaths occurring each month that has no oversight, no regulation and no protection.

When you have an assault on 12 countries spanning two continents that is larger than a regional war, that is almost a World War. We have a Transcontinental war occurring that even we, the conspiracy community, have very little knowledge of.

[edit on 8/16/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have still not recieved any comments on a thread that I believed would be very interesting to most members of ATS.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

This is because the CIA can undertake operations legally defined as "covert". By law, our government can deny operations defined as "covert". This means that the government doesn't even have to admit they have a presence in the country where these only "covert" operations are occurring. Do note that the Pentagon cannot, by law, engage in operations legally defined as "covert.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by misinformational
reply to post by Misoir

This is because the CIA can undertake operations legally defined as "covert".

That's the problem wit organizations such as the CIA. It was created to go into other countries and break their laws in order to enforce American interests.

In other words, they are government sanctioned criminals, payed for by our tax dollars. It's bad enough that my tax dollars pay for the criminals occupying Washington, now we have to export our criminals to the world.

All in the name of making the world safe for Democracy.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
They CIA doesn't even always work in the US's interest. It works in the interest of dynastic oil and banking monopolies

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
So if al-qaeda is a fictitious network created by the CIA, who exactly are the CIA killing in yemen? And why waste so much time and effort to kill them. I hardly believe the CIA would put so much manpower, time, and energy to killing some "terrorists".

edit: After reading the article, I can see these covert operations are going to backfire politically. Let's say these covert attacks did prevent destruction and deaths of americans, it will still be a negative on America because basically the world doesn't care about prevent American deaths. All people can see is the destruction and deaths caused by Americans, not the abstract deaths they prevented. It would be like me coming to your house and killing your wife and kids and telling you by killing them I was doing God's work.

The best way would be to have the local enforcement incarcerate these people, but my understanding is children aren't as fascinated by it because it doesn't have all the fireworks involved that drones and missiles do.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by American_Soviets]

top topics

join