It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"What's with the anger on ATS?"

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The whole attitude of "it's people like you"

Cultural division into different ideologies; with the flames of hate fanned by the likes of Beck, Rush, Sean, Savage, Coulter, O Rilley and a few lefties but mainly conservative talk show host.

Of course it's going to be refelected at ATS as there seems to be a plethora of new conservative leaning members with an accompaniment of right leaning MODS being appointed and the resulting double standard and preferential treatment of those on the right.

That's the way I see it and I've been watching.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

not roots of any culture or belief...i mean it as a research.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It's simple. People are getting sick of B.S. There are far too many doom and gloom threads that give people a sense of dread, which breeds fear, which of course fosters anger.

Hardly any conspiracies truly come to light, even with evidence. People are tired of stupidity, I know I am tired of threads where someone posts something that is impossible to be true, yet ask "Does anyone think this is real, I'm not sure"
. It gets ridiculous, they know damn well it's not true, they are just raising their thread count.

I believe it is a world wide emotion lately. People are just losing patience, the world is a mess.

One thing I've noticed is the "evil" is getting "eviler" and "goodiness" is getting "goodier"
Don't know how that's relevant to this thread, but I just wanted to type it.

Bottom line. People are angry. Angry at the government, angry at their fellow humans, angry at the world. And this place isn't the site to come to for any ray of hope. And so you get pissed off people writing pissed off things.

Good day.

I said good day!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Of course it's going to be refelected at ATS as there seems to be a plethora of new conservative leaning members

So then the minority of conservatives on the forum is the problem, maybe some of what they say is worth considering.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
maybe its just cathartic...
all we can punch is the keys

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Danbones]

words of wisdom.
most of us has no any political connection to what we believe, and we are mostly masturbating here. From my part, what I try with keyboard activisim is trying to deligitimize the hate spreading arguments of racists and facists. I know it is still not that worthy act, and I may be little bit furious with a bit alcohol, but still not a zero thing.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
To those who live life without clarity.
First, the video you linked to is a prime example of misuse of media to rile people up. That's not the speech Kennedy made. This is. In fact, if you read the whole speech you'll see he was asking the press to keep more secrets in time of war, even if it's not a declared war. JFK would have been against the whole Wikileaks scandal. He was calling for the press and MSM to show restraint and not publish secrets that our enemies could use against us.

Second, what does that have to do with the current emotional climate on ATS?

[edit on 8/16/2010 by JoshNorton]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Maybe we need an Anger Madness forum? Say over on GLP?

Good thoughts there, nixie, Noticed some of that very kind of posting or increasing lately. It's even been discussed in a thread like this before, I believe.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think a small part of it has to do with the topic creators and what the topics consist of. If you create a controversial topic, then you'll be getting controversial replies in return. These can get heated and can get out of hand pretty quickly.

With that said, ive been seeing more and more trolling on this website lately. I personally think that trolling is the main culprit here. Ive read some posts lately where ive seen replies of certain people trying to get a rise out of the OP or others in said thread.

Anyway, the mods do a fine job on ATS. I dont see any epidemic yet. I dont think its a huge issue as of right now. However, its something to be monitored because heavily trolled boards will run all of your good posters away.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

I agree with you.

The amount of people posting here with RIDICULOUS topics and completely illogical questions and statements or theory's is overwhelming.

Its exceedingly hard to sort out the good topics from the mountain of complete manure, recycled s***. Its literally a needle in a hay stack situation.

Whats more, is the hooks that keep trolls around keep making their way to this website. Flags, Stars, ATS points, BTS points, Flag Contribution Level Meter, Secret Forums, ... all these mechanics are just eye candy that feed trolls and encourage this behavior.

Apart from this website being a hub of trolling, which is hard for any website to control, the general feeling toward conspiracy seems to be shifting to the side of "give me evidence, or shut the hell up with your crazy nonsense". People are just fed up with hoax's and with grainy video's of lights.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Sometimes you just have to navigate through the briar to get to the meadow.
There's a difference between built-in;
(fact sprinkled with opinion-opinion sprinkled with fact and the emotion it engages)
and
built on;
(opinion layered with personal attacks insults and venom)

There's a difference in the intent of the reply, the substance of the reply.
Cocky I can handle, Crucifixion I have a hard time with.
A senior member suggested when I first joined to not feed the trolls,
that was sound advice.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What about a new section?

U.S. Political Madness is about just this, the root cause

But what about a section specifically designed to only destroy the facade of a two-party system?

That is the cause of all of this in my opinion

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Members have to understand that it is a private site. Don't like the rules? Don't come here.

Freedom of speech has its limits. No, you are not allowed to yell fire in a theater.

Me personally, I would much rather have fewer posters and better discussion then a whole lot of discussion about people's personal anger issues.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by whaaa

Of course it's going to be refelected at ATS as there seems to be a plethora of new conservative leaning members

So then the minority of conservatives on the forum is the problem, maybe some of what they say is worth considering.

ATS is much more a fact and not opinion driven environment.

A lot of posters when they can't prove their contentions then rely on various forms of emotional manipulation and personal attack to deflect away from the fact that they have no quality sources to make their own opinion that they are purporting as fact, actually a real fact.

So then it’s about imagining all the reasons why someone might choose to not form an opinion in absence of credible facts instead of just respecting, that some people are fact oriented.

ATS falls into two real categories, theorists and skeptics. Theorists speculate and draw out possibilities, and look for facts to support them. Skeptics require absolute proof in order to accept theories.

The religious and political threads often play a part in a larger far more important conspiracy, but when overly sensitive people and those with political agendas can’t meet an ATS Skeptics threshold for evidence they do then tend to veer of topic and say things like well you just hate Republicans, you just hate Christians.

Personally I don’t hate anyone, but I question those who don’t get that on a Conspiracy site, even every day ordinary things are going to be examined in much more depth and different levels, and a higher standard of proof is going to be required to get people to agree that something is valid.

If you don’t want anyone to question the Bible go to a Church and enjoy a sermon, people looking for conspiracies in religion aren’t going to stop because you want to follow your good book per your interpretation of it.

If you don’t want anyone to assail your political party, well then go to a meeting of your party, that’s why they have them.

However doing exactly what you complain others are doing and then pretending you aren’t by saying well what about all the anti-Christian threads, what about all the anti-Republican threads to deflect away from your own words and actions is just silly.

Half of the problem right now in my opinion is those focused on Religion as it is preached in churches, and Politics as it is preached on the MSM and the party leaders, flailing around on the superficial surface issues of things, and focused on nothing but the emotions.

It makes it hard for conspiracy theorists and skeptics alike, and frankly some members have been around here more than long enough to know what the site is really about.

There are plenty of religious discussion boards, and political discussion boards, ruining ATS by infecting it with nothing but political and religious discussions on the most superficial levels and turning it into an unpleasant posting environment in the process, is really just wrong in my opinion.

It’s a conspiracy site. That involves lots of theories and conjectures and lots of skeptics asking for more information and credible information.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Personally I like the edginess of ATS with the anger and name calling like the old mud pit used to be.

In fact I feel very close to some very conservative members like you and jenna, flyersfan [where'd she go] and others. I enjoy the heated ideological debates and it's one of the reasons I stick around.

I'm thick skinned enough to withstand being called a traitor, raghead lover, commie, etc. but I refrain from name calling except for the occasional "crybaby" because I feel like I'm on the verge of being banned everytime I log on because of the recent tenor that ATS has taken and my past malcontentedness. I have taken heed of the "warnings"!!!

And to those disturbed by rancor; as I like to say..."if you can't run with the big dogs; stay on the porch"

[edit on 16-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Very well written! Hear, hear..........;-)

What is with the anger on ATS?

We've been seeing somewhat of an increase of complaints and threads where many see what appears to be a rise in overall angst displayed in many threads and posts. As we discussed this among staff, there's a general agreement that "something" is infecting the tonality on ATS, and our aspirations for a high-level of decorum are being unfulfilled.

Visit the discussion thread to read the entire opening post, read member comments, or post your own comments.

(This is a mass U2U sent to all 12711 members who have been on ATS in the past 30 days. Please do not respond to this message.)

from google translate
Angst, the German word roughly translated to English means:

1.anxiety

2.worry

3.trepidation

4.fear

5.dread

as written above "THEY" are the ones who all of these words serve, it helps "THEM" divide and conquer "U.S." using age old Human emotions controlled to serve their purposes. This is a conspiracy site and one of the posts does state that "THEY" will get rid of conspiracies no? Methinks that "THEY" are trying the age old divide and conquer routine amongs the learned who would constitute one of the front lines in this infowar age.

Who are They? I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
There is not much I can really add here. I will just say, yes, please, post with as much vigor as you can, your opinion. No matter what that may be. But please, watch your words.

Take politics for example. We ALL have our own opinions and we all love to share them. But when you start mimicking the politicians, and attack each other rather than discussing the issue, than you are no better than the politicians we all complain about...

It is not as hard as you may think to get your point and opinion across with out being rude, ugly, abrasive, or arrogant.

I have seen an increase in complaints and threads asking what is up with all the hatred and anger... Well, here is what is up. If you don't like it, and I am sure you don't. Do something about it.

A wise man once said " Be the change you wish to see." Well, if you are like me and you wish to see an increase in well written posts that discuss the issue, and a decrease in posts that attack other people, then be an example. Start the ball rolling.

Change starts with the individual... and if you are not willing to change, how can you ever expect anyone else to change? Be that change you wish to see!

I am... Join me?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
What you are seeing is people "waking up". Please do not change this site based on the complaints of the PC. This site is here to "Deny Ignorance". Please leave it up to your members! I realize that as the times go on, and more people are awakened by this site, the amount of "hate" may increase. This is not only good, it means people are paying attention. I realizize you are thinking from a company/ corporate view of this. If You make this a cuddly PC site, nobody will be able to seperate you from the rest. Many will leave. If you keep the same freedoms you currently permit, you will continue to stand out from the rest. As a business and a website I hope you can see the difference. Comply with the PC, and go the way of the Dodo. Stay the way you are, stand out from the rest, stick to your original values, you continue to exist.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
A lot of boards have a flame section (anything goes) type of forum where the riffraff goes. However, I would like to think that ATS is much too classy for such a forum.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Originally posted by tristar
To those who live life without clarity.
First, the video you linked to is a prime example of misuse of media to rile people up. That's not the speech Kennedy made. This is. In fact, if you read the whole speech you'll see he was asking the press to keep more secrets in time of war, even if it's not a declared war. JFK would have been against the whole Wikileaks scandal. He was calling for the press and MSM to show restraint and not publish secrets that our enemies could use against us.

Second, what does that have to do with the current emotional climate on ATS?

[edit on 8/16/2010 by JoshNorton]

Impressed,

As an active Apnea diver, i was wondering who and when, one would catch on. Given that you responded then i guess you have my utmost attention.

As for the video or transcript in question, it does touch bases on varous topics or should i say issues. He does not specifically orientate around one singular topic or issue.

to quote

...not give the public what it wants....

As for wiki leaks, well its similar to a two year old trying to decipher quantum mechanics, i simply roflmao. Since you obviously are aware or i do assume as much, his speech is not a based on a singular issue, or is it ?

[edit on 16-8-2010 by tristar]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I agree with the part in the OP about the media not informing but inflaming. It really is getting pretty bad. The issues being presented to us by these outlets are portrayed as being a black/white issue (not referring to racism). There is never a third option given. Classic false dichotomy.

I have definitely noticed a pattern: first they try to get present you with a issue and then try to make it seem like the result of that issue is that you have lost something and you need to fight to take it back or absolutely refuse to let it happen.

THERE IS NO COMPROMISE! From both sides, however.

It is not just ATS. I have been receiving more politically motivated mass emails than I can ever remember. I used to get the cutesy pic, quirky story mass emails and only now and again. Now I get not only those but also some sort of "you need to be upset about this issue your are being faced with!" email. And they are from people in my every day life who don't seem to care whether or not it might upset other people who may find it a little offensive in one way or another or maybe get them equally angry.

Now as far as ATS goes, i would say that the number of angry posters does not seem to have increased, per se. I think it is the intensity of the anger in these posts are what is increasing. And I FIRMLY believe it is because of the crap they allow the MSM to cram into their minds. They are conditioned to instantly become angry if they are presented with an idea feel strongly about. Again, this is from both sides.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join