It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"What's with the anger on ATS?"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I am probably going to be hung, drawn and quartered for this but could it possibly be because of a little too-strict moderation? Obviously this website has been successful because of the enforcement of manners and decorum, however, the actions taken upon by staff for the most minor infringements has made me curious.

For example: I recently saw a thread with about 11 posts closed because another thread of the same topic was already posted. However, almost 20 minutes after the thread was closed, a moderator gave someone an off topic post - on a closed thread?

Don't get me wrong, I like this website. It is a lot more intelligent, stylish and productive than other forums of the same nature I have visited.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
IMO the anger might be a result of the economy at the moment.
People aren't asured of their jobs anymore and can get without jobs even when a company looks healthy.

Besides that there is also the threat of a coming war, the oil spill in the gulf which effects many people and companies.

Banks that almost go bankrupt and with help of the state it is suddenly possible to make within a year millions of profits. It puts you think if they really almost were bankrupt.

This all gives a lot of stress even when people think it is al crap but it does get in their heads without knowing.

I myself have, in the Netherlands, encountered several people who are heavily stressed even with people who have a steady job. Even they are uncertain of what the future might bring.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Those of you whom are angry with ATS "not doing enough at banning angry posters", what makes you think you are safe from such a draconian policy? Truth is you are not safe, and are shooting yourselves in the foot.

What more can I say?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
And then ATS is a "Nazi censoring site that has no respect for freedom of speech". Damn hard balance to maintain.

Stuff the whole ATS censorship crowd they are either not mature enough to be members or they can't stand someone having an opposing view . Look after those who are able to be members of ATS first and foremost .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

i don't like the unneccesary name calling. it makes people believe they are stupider than they really are, sometimes.

hate, anger, a jedi craves not these things. but, ... they can be funny and amusing.

MY PLEDGE TO FELLOW ATSers:

i respect peoples' right to hate, and i will hate on anyone who tries to take someone's right to hate away from them by hatefull means.

ATSers are good people, and if anyone tells them differently, they are a better liar than i am!

hate isn't angry, just misunderstood.

ET says "ah", and takes his medicine....

hugs & kisses,

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b601ab9041ba.png[/atsimg]

can someone give me a star for this post, please?

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
HEY, EVERYONE !
WE ARE ON THE DARPA INTERNET

facepalm

all data is data, even false.

link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
it makes people believe they are stupider than they really are, sometimes.

stupider!!
That was great.

link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I would star you if I could. Although I don't share your beliefs, there is such a thing as "righteous anger," and the issue of women's rights is one area that such anger is justified. The issue is to direct the anger at the men who perpetuate the abuse, not the religion or tribal beliefs they use to justify their actions.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

In this sense me and you can't agree. This is not a freedom of speech. You have definitly no right to kick out an immigrant, for me even if he is illegal immigrant. It is against the human rights declaration.
Anyway, as I understood, regarding his behaviour, we are looking from very different perspectives.
But in my opinion, ATS mods should sometimes take side on this issues. I may very well interpret his post (and i think he meant it) like I have take a gun and shot the immigrants. He has no right to send such a post.

Another advice for ATS admin: Do an alcohol test to the users before they log in.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by deccal]

link   

Originally posted by NeutronAvenger

For example: I recently saw a thread with about 11 posts closed because another thread of the same topic was already posted. However, almost 20 minutes after the thread was closed, a moderator gave someone an off topic post - on a closed thread?

They cannot keep track of everything.

If you are truly concerned about an injustice, than U2U the admins privately, bring up your points in a respectful manner, stay chilled out, and show exactly what "injustice" took place with links and explanations.

The admins cannot keep track of everything. But if you provide your points to them in private U2Us respectfully, they will take action and rectify the situation. IF they see such a mishap did indeed occur, they will do what they can to fix it.

I have seen them solve issues like this before, but for the sake of the website and keeping "drama" on the down-low, make sure it's through private channels.

link   
Well i for one have seen some interaction amongst poster that would put this topic to shame. Not everyone who joins ATS is in need of anger management, its all a matter of communication.

link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by zerbot565

my perception of things right now is that there is noone complaining when it comes to "hating" on gwb,republicans,isreal for example.

to me its almost theres no hating allowed except comes to those.....

maybe i'm wrong.

Actually if you did a search of the site, you would see on average once a month are threads titled "Is ATS turning into an Anti-Semetic Site".

The truth is there is a certain type of member who can tolerate no discussion of Israeli policies without equating it to anti-Semetism.

As far as political figures, they are always going to be open to criticism as a byproduct of the job they do as an elected official.

As far as parties, their platforms are always going to be questioned.

Being angry over Israel's actions, doesn't mean I am angry at another member who is Israeli. In fact one of my favorite posters is Yischair a former member of the IDF and an Israeli, we recently pledged our organs to one another right here on ATS if we ever needed them, provided the other could dry out first before donating them.

Not a lot of hatred there my friend.

It's about not directing anger at members but the issues, and the real players.

You aren't George W. Bush, you aren't the Israeli Nation, and you aren't the Republican Party, so understand if someone has a beef with those that doesn't mean they are angry at you.

When Israel does something I take exception too, I don't get mad at Israelis, or Jews, or even the soldiers who sometimes carry them out who are just following orders.

I focus my criticism on the policies and the politicians responsible for them.

So anyone directing anger towards me personally as a result is not really learning anything or helping me learn anything. They are just creating an angry and uncivil environment where real dialouge and learning becomes all the more harder.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
At first i thought this was directed straight at me as i seen it on a u2u, and it made me realise that sometimes i do come across as pretty angry. But usually when someone makes a silly thread or comment i find personally offensive will i say anything. I dont mean down right silly as in lacking intelligence, i mean something like the other day when someone posted a thread asking for a thank you from all those who are out of work and seeking government funded help, as he did have a job. That made me really angry. apart from that, im usually an ok calm guy though

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well, to be honest I think it's more or less the crap that's going on is taking a toll on us. It adds more burdens on our shoulders so I think overall, we're just letting it "spill out".

That plus the fact that much of the "anger" we have towards something or another might not be quite accepted in "real life", so we share it here.

Either way, I'm not an angry person generally. However, over the past year things have really started to upset me, especially the double standards that exist in our world today. I tend to sometimes "boil over" and have a word or two about it on the forums.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Gosh I wish I would have read this before my last comment. I couldn't agree more. It really does seem like some have an agenda and will not listen no matter who the heck posts the information. I use to do forensic photography some time ago and on one thread I decided to give the poor guy they were bashing tips on how to improve his videography which got bashed. And get this, the person that was troll tugging me never went to school for photography. To me, this should be stopped immediately. A person stating "we have requirements for videos" that can not go to a page on ATS that shows these requirements should be banned for using this as an excuse to be rude to people!
Also in another thread when I provided comparison pictures I was told they would not be reviewed and if my opinion was wanted it would have been asked for (paraphrasing to make it look nice).
I do not care if someone wishes to be ignorant of things - we still have freedom to choose ignorance. But IMO, if a person is just baiting people, they should be thrown off the board for a time. No need for a permanent ban unless someone is sending actual written threats to people. Then ban baby ban!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
My main problem with this site and it is plainly visible on the weaponry pages, is the never ending holier than thou condescending drivel from some American posters who have this superior than you mentality.

This is clearly demonstrated on the "Russian 5th Generation Stealth Fighter PAK-FA has flown" thread, where any attempt to praise this aircraft is almost instantly derided by the Americans.

Again, on the "China Can Sink Our Aircraft Carriers...This kind of gets frightening" thread, Americans have taken umbrage and, as usual, have started a slanging match.

That I have retaliated is a given, but only as a frustrated Brit with over 40 years experience in our armed forces as a CBRN, Weapons and Reconnaissance expert.

But what especially galls me is the continuing fantasy that America won the Second World War all by herself and the problems Americans have when faced with the truth.

Not all things America does have been bad. But what America does now, both in Iraq and Afghanistan is wrong. America is also starting to lean against Iran and that, my friends, is sheer madness.

We Brits are also to blame not only because we allowed ourselves to be suckered into an illegal war, but also because we left our honour and values back home instead of standing up for what is right and proper.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by deccal
Anyway, as I understood, regarding his behaviour, we are looking from very different perspectives.

It's not about perspectives, it's about logic

But in my opinion, ATS mods should sometimes take side on this issues.

But if they are taking sides... then they are taking sides.
As a moderator I mean, not moderators posting as a member in a thread.

But the problem with taking sides is that one day that side may be against you, that's why being unbiased is imperative.

I may very well interpret his post (and i think he meant it) like I have take a gun and shot the immigrants. He has no right to send such a post.

That's a completely different post with a completely different tone.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Maybe the anger is a reflection of things like economic conditions or the general state of the world, but at the core of all this is fear. People are battling fears they can't even really identify the origin of, and this in turn leaves many ripe for anyone who seems to have a solution to come along and not only fill in the blanks for them but give them a focus, even if they don't entirely understand it and can't defend or prioritize it.

Many of these manifestations seem fear-driven to me is all I'm saying. Aside from those that aren't just plain old mischief, anyway. To that end, I also agree with what Proto said in his first post in the thread. There is some mischief afoot. Oh, and we as a whole here at ATS just can't seem to stay on topic lately!!!

Very happy to see a focus on this. There's definitely a shift of some sort in process. Thanks.

[edit on 8/16/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
With some exceptions, we are all human beings here. Not sure who the non humans are, but I'm sure their are a few.

Human beings are a special package of emotions. Some have a better grasp and control over them than others. And, I might add, when one finally realizes they are nothing more than semi intelligent animals, or at least treated as such in life, they tend to start loosing some control.

Yes people get angry when the truth finally starts to settle in, but we have a choice. We can take that negative energy and redirect it towards other avenues and venues.

Anger gets the human system motivated, its up to us which way it goes.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Excellent post Proto, it also reminds me of the new and at times older posters who constantly put up threads in the Board & Questions forum telling ATS owners what to do what they should change on ATS, I don't think there is a question or suggestion that the owners haven't already thought of and reviewed. Those questions and suggestions don't belong there in the first place, that is what the ATS Issues Thread is for, most of them are rants and not productive.

I love ATS the way it is.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Aquarius1]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join