It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civility, decorum and the Aliens and UFO Forum

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by intrepid

When a post says "reply to Chamberf=6" I guess I take it as a reply to me since that is my name here...

No?

No. He was addressing your concerns, not discussing YOU as the issue. I see he's addressed this.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Where did I swear at you? Wat did I call you?
for the rest see my previous reply to Intrepid.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Ok, I guess I should stop replying back to people who reply to me.

This wasn't directed to anyone in particular.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

12m8keall2c.....

Honestly,
You've certainly made known your fair share of thin-skinned complaints against yourself, character and person

With all due respect & courtesy & in the interest of Denying Ignorance.....

That is not a statement you can preface with the word "honestly".

It has been an extremely rare occasion wherein I have alerted anything at all pertaining to members being rude to me, despite considerable provocation.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Ok.

I realise this is from another section of the forum and could possibly be taken out of context and so I ask everyone to take that into account prior to commenting upon it here.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Of all the posts I've seen in this thread, almost all have been unnecessary flaming against the OP guy from members. Is this really fair?

Since he's lying, both his warning and harsh responses are warranted.

So taking into account that lying warrants warnings and harsh responses from members as advised by the tech admin of this domain do you think we can take it easier on those of us who call liars on their lies?

Or are foofey dribblers somehow granted free access to lying and offered protection from scrutiny?

-m0r

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

The thread in question was titled "I Have confirmed ATS management hides threads if they want to." so given SO's position such a stance would indeed seem to be natural.

Then you have the classic interweb confusion in some folks minds between wrong and lying, so if you prove lying rather than wrong the poster can be banned not just have their thread closed, note I said can I'm sure the nature of the lie and its context would be looked at while any decision was made.

Again what's the problem with refuting and debunking politely, it genuinely looks better and is more persuasive to the observing reader.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Rewrite maybe?

I'm not at all against you I just can't understand you.

I've tried adding punctuation as I would see fit but it still didn't help.

Again, I'm not against you but could do with it better restated,

-m0r

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

I re read it, it's clear, perhaps the need for a comma and may be split one sentence into two but hey we're meant to be having a conversation rather than sitting yet another English Language exam

I can't remember an actual photo or vid that has persuaded me that UFOs are real, I've seen some radar screens and heard personal testimony off numerous witnesses that have though, I certainly don't think we have fleets overhead and thousands of visitations, I'm probably as sceptical of most claims as most honest sceptics, I just don't see the need for ridicule or rudeness.
edit on 31-10-2010 by Thepreye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Having been observing over the last couple of weeks, and now just wandering over the newest Aliens and UFO's threads, it's .... so much better now....

Yes, repeated postings of seeingufospa stuff, more 'debunk this' remarks, more veiled and unveiled abuse of the few sceptics left, more peppering of multiple videos that are unrelated to the initial postings, and threads like this...
(Not having a shot at the OP, by the way..)

Seriously, what has become of this place?

Anyway, I'm taking some time off too, although I will finish off the projects I have promised to.

edit on 6-11-2010 by CHRLZ because: the old remington ain't what she ustabe...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHRLZ
Having been observing over the last couple of weeks, and now just wandering over the newest Aliens and UFO's threads, it's .... so much better now....

Yes, repeated postings of seeingufospa stuff, more 'debunk this' remarks, more veiled and unveiled abuse of the few sceptics left, more peppering of multiple videos that are unrelated to the initial postings, and threads like this...

Anyway, I'm taking some time off too, although I will finish off the projects I have promised to.

CHRLZ,

Too many people who use logic are leaving this site.

I don't know if this is because the Admins are happy for them to go because The Credulous make more hits and generate more advertising for the site.

I'll probably get banned for saying that.

My point is that you, and others like you such as MMN, Phage, Chadwickus etc., are vital to a place such as this!

Without you this is just a UFO fanboy site and, consequently, has no meaning or purpose.

Don't go. Stay and fight the good fight.

Slippery Jim.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slippery Jim

CHRLZ,

Too many people who use logic are leaving this site.

I don't know if this is because the Admins are happy for them to go because The Credulous make more hits and generate more advertising for the site.

I'll probably get banned for saying that.

My point is that you, and others like you such as MMN, Phage, Chadwickus etc., are vital to a place such as this!

Without you this is just a UFO fanboy site and, consequently, has no meaning or purpose.

Don't go. Stay and fight the good fight.

Slippery Jim.

I appreciate your comments, Slip, but sometimes I get very, very sick of seeing the same old, same old.. But right now, it has increased to a deluge of ridiculous postings, fed by the 'youtube mentailty'.

ATS used to have much more moderator *involvement* - in other words, it wasn't about alerting the problems, as the mod's were *participating* and keeping it on track. There are occasional exceptions (hi to Armap!)...

I would say more, especially about the youtube business, but I too would rather just leave without getting banned... I will say that I think some questions need to be asked........ and after all, it is a conspiracy site...

Anyway, I'll still be around, so feel free to U2U me if I can help with anything particularly bad..

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I appreciate your comments, Slip, but sometimes I get very, very sick of seeing the same old, same old.. But right now, it has increased to a deluge of ridiculous postings, fed by the 'youtube mentailty'.

ATS used to have much more moderator *involvement* - in other words, it wasn't about alerting the problems, as the mod's were *participating* and keeping it on track. There are occasional exceptions (hi to Armap!)...

I would say more, especially about the youtube business, but I too would rather just leave without getting banned... I will say that I think some questions need to be asked........ and after all, it is a conspiracy site...

Anyway, I'll still be around, so feel free to U2U me if I can help with anything particularly bad..

I know what you're saying. Its increasingly annoying to have to rebutt people posting YouTube videos of aircraft, lanterns and what-not time after time after time.

The Mods and Admins on here are very quick to sanction a "debunker" but a hoaxer is left to continue his/her thread until a "debunker" slams it into touch.

For what its worth: I'm a believer in an alien presence. I've seen things that even I can't debunk.

Slippery Jim.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slippery Jim
I know what you're saying. Its increasingly annoying to have to rebutt people posting YouTube videos of aircraft, lanterns and what-not time after time after time.

The Mods and Admins on here are very quick to sanction a "debunker" but a hoaxer is left to continue his/her thread until a "debunker" slams it into touch.

There are only two things which 'continues' a hoax/hoaxer... the first of which is the rapid-fire collection of responses which do nothing to further the conversation and, secondly, the lack of evidence which could expose the hoax.

When the hoax has been uncovered, thanks to the efforts of those willing to do the extra work finding evidence, the thread goes directly into the HOAX forum. Should the OP of the thread be found guilty of deliberate hoaxing, they are quickly banned. That's the way it works. One post exposing a hoax is worth 1000 accusations of one.

You say that mods and admins are quick to sanction a debunker. You have evidence of that or are you referring to those to whom this particular thread was initially dedicated?

For what its worth: I'm a believer in an alien presence. I've seen things that even I can't debunk.

Same here. Two incidences over my lifetime might not make me a complete believer in alien craft in our planet's atmosphere, but they certainly had me wondering what they could possibly have been. That life exists elsewhere in the universe is just, (to me anyways) a complete no-brainer. We're here, aren't we?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

What a disappointing attitude.

Basically what you are saying is that, rather than stay on and offer insight and thought from experience and a clear thinking mind, you simply don't believe you are capable of stopping yourself from writing insults to people and feel the need not to participate for fear getting banned for doing so?

Congratulations - your apparent lack of self control is a win for the hoaxers.

I've been on this site since 2006 and not once have I felt the need, or compulsion to be so obnoxious to a UFO hoaxer that it would get me banned from ATS.

edit on 6/11/10 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Good Morning Neformore.....

I said I would reply to you in due course, when I had given all this further thought.

I will presume to do so now.

Presently, I do not feel I should make further contributions to the ATS Aliens & UFOs Forum.

I have arrived at this decision because I have decided the ATS moderation & management team has implemented a different approach to the Aliens & UFOs forum that I feel I don’t fit into & I think in the long run, will render the forum ineffectual.

I think the reasons for this are:

- ATS desires to increase site traffic by attracting new “YouTube / FaceBook generation” members who are less knowledgeable of the subject matter & less caring of the forum. The end result is a proliferation of lower quality material, much of which is also highly repetitive.

- ATS has implemented an approach to the moderation of the forum that has the objective of keeping this new type of member revisiting ATS. I don’t feel I should elaborate on this again, because I have already detailed this in-thread & mentioned it on ATS Live.

I think this new approach is a strategically poor product management / marketing decision that in the long run, will cause the forum to degenerate into a downward spiral of “high burn rate”, “short attention span” participation, as it becomes overwhelmed by internet attention seekers. As I have mentioned, I run a large complex & successful business myself. Such a "high burn rate" & poor "customer retention" is something I know must be avoided in any sort of business with which I have been involved. But then again, perhaps I am demonstrating my lack of understanding of a business such as ATS.

So.....in plain “marketing speak", I believe ATS has devalued their brand.

I will say again…..

It seems that based on our interactions on ATS Live (which I've enjoyed very much), we share some similar opinions on all of this. Based on that, I find your “in-thread persona” at odds with your “ATS Live persona”. If you judge that as “my problem, not yours”, then that’s fair enough.

So…..where does that leave me?

Well…..I hope it doesn’t leave me in a great deal of trouble for expressing my views because I do so in an effort to help ATS in my own way.

And…..as I stated previously, it was my intention to “buy out” of all of this & simply monitor the forum & see what transpires. That’s what I still intend to do.

So Nef…..

Good luck with ATS Live, Illustrial, your future radio plans, etc… I will pop in for a listen here & there

Kind regards & thanks for all your hard work
Maybe...maybe not

edit on 6-11-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: Clarification by inserting word "highly" in paragraph 6. In fairness to all, I will make no further edits.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

MMN, you know I respect you, and you know I respect your opinions BUT....

Nothing has changed in terms of moderating this forum, or ATS as a whole.

We simply ask people to be civil.

What has changed - for some reason - is the attitude of some of the posters who, for some reason, seem to expect "something" - but quite what I have no idea.

If ATS effectively stepped in and started removing threads left right and centre because the staff thought they were hoaxes, we'd be accused of being heavy handed and over moderating, and all the detractors and critics who hide in the woodwork and wait for the chance to pee all over the ATS carpet would have a field day.

Thats why we don't do it.

As I said above, we simply ask for people to be civil, to offer their opinions and NOT attack the posters. It is far, far easier to debunk rubbish that is posted that way. Anything else simply drags us into the mire, detracts and dilutes the fact of the hoax and leaves things unclear and inconsistent.

I'm shooting straight here - its damn disappointing that you can't see that.

Thank you for the kind comments about the radio show, and the band. I simply hope you just decided to reconsider and start making the contributions again that lead everyone to respect your posts instead of being defeatist and walking away.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

What a disappointing attitude.

Really? I have a disappointing attitude? Shouldn't you be addressing the actual problem rather than publicly commenting on my attitude?

Basically what you are saying is that, rather than stay on and offer insight and thought from experience and a clear thinking mind, you simply don't believe you are capable of stopping yourself from writing insults to people and feel the need not to participate for fear getting banned for doing so?

??? Would you mind pointing out the actual words I used, from which you drew that opinion????
Here's the words you just quoted, so one presumes they were the source of that interpretation:
"I would say more, especially about the youtube business, but I too would rather just leave without getting banned... I will say that I think some questions need to be asked........ and after all, it is a conspiracy site...

"

From that, apparently I "don't believe [I am] capable of stopping [my]self from writing insults to people". And I think you might have missed the point I was hinting at regarding the youtube issue, but I see MMN has that pretty covered..

So, there's a large part of the problem, imo. People read between the lines, make unsupported interpretations, and instead of mods being highly visible and actively *participating* on threads - dealing with it as it happens - these (rather pointless, imo) threads are created.

Congratulations - your apparent lack of self control is a win for the hoaxers.

Ok, I have a lack of self control, apparently...

I've been on this site since 2006 and not once have I felt the need, or compulsion to be so obnoxious to a UFO hoaxer that it would get me banned from ATS.

Again I would ask where I said my potential banning would be from insulting a hoaxer? Again, I note the clear implication and use of the words '.. need or compulsion to be so obnoxious..'.

Anyway, I'll let readers decide if those interpretations were warranted (from either side), where the (veiled or unveiled) ad hominems lie.., and why some of my text (the part where I was quite specific about what i believe to be a large part of the problem) was clipped out and not commented upon.

And yes, I am a little 'disappointed'....
edit on 6-11-2010 by CHRLZ because: removed freudian slip..

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

So when you say (I've bolded it to highlight it)

Just what are you implying exactly?

What on earth could you type that would get you banned?
edit on 6/11/10 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
So when you say (I've bolded it to highlight it)

Just what are you implying exactly?
What on earth could you type that would get you banned?

First, you did note the smiley, I trust? It was intended as a slightly tongue in cheek jibe..

Second, I've changed the bolding.. now think ... financial arrangements.. mutual benefits.. quantity rather than quality...

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more...

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join