It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civility, decorum and the Aliens and UFO Forum

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Please U2U links to the alerted posts. Am on nearly all day and don't recall having seen either the posts nor alerted complaints regarding such ... if they are as you allude to they'll be addressed and handled according to the relevant aspects of the T&C members agreed to.

12m8keall2c.....

I also thank you for replying.

As per Neformore.....

I will also reply to you, but not insofar as that it will simply be a superficial response encompassing some "alerts".

You see, this is not about me sending retrospective "alerts".

This is about ATS proactively managing things in a balanced manner.

Kind regards as always
Maybe...maybe not

edit on 28-10-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
And if no apparent action is taken, thats because either the staff did not view the alert as a T&C Violation, or a U2U was sent to the member in question reminding them of the T&C's. There are many different ways to reach out and remind someone of them, and they don't all end up in a post removal.

If what MMN is saying is true (and the is absolutely no reason to doubt him, as he is and has always been above-board), posts like that, constant and consistent harassment of a member, should not be allowed to stay up. There cannot be any justification for that.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

If we are not made aware of them, then what can we do?

There were 6,000 posts made in the last 24 hours - 42,000 in the last 7 days. Do you read them all? I know I don't. Thats why we have an alert system for members to use.

Don't forget, we are a volunteer staff, we do what we can, when we can.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
I also thank you for replying.

Much appreciated. Thank you.

I will also reply to you, but not insofar as that it will simply be a superficial response encompassing some "alerts".

You see, this is not about me sending retrospective "alerts".

This is about ATS proactively managing things in a balanced manner.

We do as well as we can, individually and collectively ... an all-volunteer staff, with real lives, jobs, families and whathaveyou...

Perhaps the issue(s), with regards previously stated, mentioned or alluded to incalcitrant behaviors and whatnot is/are more a self-perceived observance, as opposed to actual violation(s) of the Terms & Conditions. (?)

Honestly,
You've certainly made known your fair share of thin-skinned complaints against yourself, character and person .... whilst all the while supposing armored aspersions, sarcasms, and derogatory influences towards others along the way. (?)
Honestly,

Fair Dinkum, for the most part ...

OR should we alter the T&C to point left or right of center?

edit on 10/28/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: bbcode quote tag

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

12m8keall2c.....

a self-perceived observance

OK.....so a "fart video", name calling, swearing at me, etc... is a "a self-perceived observance"....?

You have just validated my position.

Let's leave it at that for now.....I don't want this to get heated at this point.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

C'mon man ... I've asked for links, URLs, examples.

You drop from 20 or so to a single "Fart" post/thread... (?)

U2U me the Complaint link or Post the URL.

How could the above Possibly "confirm" previous assumptions. (?)

?
?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

We do as well as we can, individually and collectively ... an all-volunteer staff, with real lives, jobs, families and whathaveyou...

edit on 10/28/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: bbcode quote tag

See? Maybe that is the problem? I can solve this easy!!!

Just make someone with no life, a fake family and no job a moderator!!!

Hmmmm...let me see...who can we elect?

Ok ok ok...I offer my awesomeness!!!

Give me power...and...I will fix it all.

(Evil laugh)

Oooh I'll fix it alright...heh.

MM
edit on 28-10-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

MMN, you are one of my favorites on this board, and I have personally heard Springer on the radio show same the say about you. Matter-o-fact, many folks look to you for facts and a level-mindedness that is appreciated more then you may know...

I know a lot of people make fart films about you...heck, I almost made one once, but it was really a nice one (I swear)!

I'm just saying this to you once...

"you are on the good side"

Without you around, the "bad side" wins a small victory...

We can't let Alex Collier WIN!!! IT WOULD KILL ALL THE KITTENS IN THE WORLD!

Nuff said...oh, and I love you.

Hugs.

MM
edit on 28-10-2010 by Mr Mask because: removed my fart video

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

But surely you do what you do for the action and attention, If not why persist, what is the buz?

A well timed and imo necessary editorial decision has been made by those in who's remit such a decision lies, to adhere to the editorial slant that this site is interested in the whole UFO and alien field and any discussion of said will be not just civil but polite, maybe even friendly.

This slant is stated in the terms and conditions as was pointed out earlier and shouldn't be hard to achieve by anyone actually interested in trying it out, when this behaviour is suggested, rather than all this extra anger.

It sort of comes down to people adhering to behaviour standards that the community requires, just like in the real world, can't you see the problem with constantly belittling people and making them angry, well they've had enough and brought the cops in en masse.

Be seeing ya

maybe may be not

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

But surely you do what you do for the action and attention, If not why persist, what is the buz?

It seems to me that you are new around here and lack some insight to MMN's reasoning behind his posting history. I have spoken with MMN for some time now, on many occasions, and feel I have learned a lot from him, and about him.

Let me shed some light on it for you...for free.

1) He personally has great interest in real research on the UFO phenomena, and like many of us- dislikes the ARMY of liars/hoaxers/crazies who make a mockery of it knowingly or unknowingly.

2) He is a very funny guy who rather resort to humor then brow beating the liars/hoaxers/crazies.

3) He dosn't post for attention or action...he posts in hopes of finding information, sharing information and on occasion "defending information from liars/hoaxers/crazies".

I admit, it is a hard line to skate, dealing with so many on this board who are abusing it, wrongfully using it, exploiting it or down right "trying to harm it"...and it sometimes leads to posts that can be judged as "uncivil".

I make no excuses for those times...heck, I am guilty of beating the crap out of a few crap-dealers myself.

But make no mistake in assuming MMN's credibility or intentions on ATS...the guy is all gold and a hero.

I personally do not enjoy reading any member (never mind some new one) openly accusing his history here as anything but "100% legit and applaudable".

We all make mistakes time to time...I assume you just had a case of that yourself when you said what you did.

No worries.

MM

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Boy'o boy...

I must be a goody two shoes or something

I don't get insulted. Well... maybe, sometimes I see someone trying to.

I always keep in mind that the chance for a post not being moderated is a lot higher then the chances are it will.
I've used the complaint button a couple of times, although the insult usually was for another member.

I will also simply tell the one who posted the insult I thought it was outa line.

An apologize is what I receive... usually

Honestly.... I DON'T SEE THE FUZZ.

Instead of a reply for civility it might be a good idea to announce a period of strict moderation, set a few examples.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Look at theAymen's thread about the LHC and solar flares that combined will "destroy the world". Yeah the member got banned by that name, but a bit after he stopped even posting in THAT thread.
BTW that person rejoined under the name of thePharaoh shortly after his banning. Appropriate name since he was fond of shouting "I AM PHARAOH!" every few posts.

The thread in question is here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Fart video, insults, and all.

Do I get any points for doing research for a MOD?

edit on 10/28/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Do I get any points for doing research for a MOD?

No points but....

There have been no posts in that thread for two weeks - so why is it an issue now?

There are 35 seperate moderator actions in that thread, over 12 pages, and at least two warnings to stay civil and keep on topic.

So could someone please tell me again why this is being debated? Because it strikes me that a hell of a lot of staff time and attention went into the thread, and any accusations of "unbalanced" modding or "mods not paying attention" is completely unfounded.

edit on 28/10/10 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KIZZZY

Give your lip service to someone else PERIOD!

Lip service or perhaps Sage advice/Rational thought?

I'll leave that for others to decide for themselves. Thank you very much.

FWIW:

The Topic of this discussion thread is Civility, decorum and the Aliens and UFO Forum

... which will be maintained and adhered to from this point going forward.

Where does condescending fit in the whole civility issue?

Till this thread and some of your replies, I thought I knew the answer to that question...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

It is an issue now because your thread ended up having that topic brought up as a shining example of WTF....

And in that thread I had a post removed as off topic only when I tried to inject humor into a rather negative thread. The OP even recognized it was humor and replied in kind.
In a later post I ETA'd that it WAS humor that was removed and not insults, That was removed too, so I said it again....
yet that thread, where MODs were obviously reading it since they were actioning SOME of the insults, wasn't closed, didn't have any of the other desired results of "alerts".

And some of what is NOW actioned in that thread took many days to be removed even after some of the first actions.
edit on 10/28/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: tiny netbook keys

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

35 mod's on just a single thread !

And I was wondering why it took so long before my mini profile showed This one is aware...
Which is now gone by the way. I want it back. I really got attached to it.

Seriously...

35 Mod's is just not acceptable. It's a waste of time and unfair to other members who expect they will be kept save from verbal violation, and for those that are working hard and are still anxious waiting for their first applause.

In my humble opinion a thread that requires that much much attention should be closed for replies.

The plus side is,,,,

I know the mod's are not gods and I still favor ATS above any other forum Because of the good work they do.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Let's be clear, I out right asked and would ask again for MMN not to leave, but to moderate his behaviour, it's not a free for all, after all, but the call has been made, no more ridicule, ATS isn't open season on anyone.

I love debunkers when it's just debunking they're up to, I don't want to wade through hoax and cloud vids, but it ruins the feel of the site for me when I see kids and folk who've made a mistake get beat up on for hours, scrabbling about trying to retain some dignity by lashing out thus making the game continue. Or equally unproven balloon claims opposing unproven UFO claims, quite often the first mainly factual evidence based, with a side of baiting, post persuades me of the debunkers claims, so I move on to a new thread to learn more, why don't the debunkers do the same.

I've been coming to ATS for many years mate, and very similar sites for even longer,

I am aware of MMN's interest in the field it's there before my eyes, tbh I don't see what the problem is with just keeping it polite, I even end up feeling sorry and supportive towards posters who are obviously totally wrong in their claims when they're getting a thrashing.

Another point to remember when teasing someone, nobody knows who the victim is or who they're related to, the old guy who thinks he saw a ufo might just be someones much loved grandad or in slightly different circumstances a son or a daughter of someone with good influence or even an owners sock puppet, who cares why take the risk, just be nice.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

All good points and well received.

I hope we understand each other more for this brief interaction.

Lets all hope for a kinder happier ATS, where we all get along and look past our honest (and human) mistakes.

I think we can all agree that the real enemy is those who wish to harm or exploit ATS through dishonesty and shenanigans. All the rest is just "silliness" we can all agree to "get over" together.

MM

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I agree that there are definitely some here for the exact purpose of "hoaxing and shenanigans". It just seems that sometimes even when it has become obvious that is their intent, they are let slide far too long.
It is as if the ideal of accepting everyones "opinions" and being PC in not calling a hoaxer a HOAXER, can sometimes allow these ATS enemies too much.
I am all for accepting all opinions, but firmly against hoaxers and willful troublemakers running amok.
Does that, I wonder often, make me too "intolerant" for ATS?

eta: not intentionally misquoting you, but I was typing when you edited...

edit on 10/28/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Starred and agreed, I hate this kind of tension, every word counts, misunderstandings or mistakes can have big consequences towards individuals but these kind of issues need thrashing out now and again lines have to be drawn and defended for the good of all.

Bias, is a word with negative connotations but the subject in question is obscured and hidden maybe not even real but incredibly interesting and potentially world changing nonetheless, so a little bit of positive discrimination is used to nurture the subject we're all interested in and many love.

I know there are many lurkers out there or even members with tales to tell of experiences they've had but they're afraid to come forward for fear of the ridicule, that may be their problem, my problem is I don't get to read their story.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join