It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a SmartPhone and Love Posting Pictures? Why Not Just Post Your Address?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Happen to be wandering about the internet and found an article about geotags in our pictures. You know, the kind of pictures your teens take with their Iphones and then promptly plaster about the internet ten to fifty times a day.

Article Here

The kind of picture you snap with your Droid while cooking dinner to share with your mother a thousand miles away, since it is her recipe, via Facebook.

The kind of picture you snap of little Jonny graduating Kindergarten and post to Twitter for all the extendeds to smile and gush over.

From the above article,

"...Embedded in the image was a geotag, a bit of data providing the longitude and latitude of where the photo was taken. Hence, he revealed exactly where he lived. And since the accompanying text was “Now it’s off to work,” potential thieves knew he would not be at home..."

BTW this is referring to Adam Savage, host of the popular MythBuster's program.

So we all thought we were cool, after hearing all the stories about the Facebook Status thieves, but if we are still posting pictures on our websites from geotag enabled devices we leave a secret door open for theives and stalkers and no goods, and most of us do not even know it!

Technology, it is wonderful, but really, we all need to KNOW what we are using.

So I am posting this for all my friends at ATS as yet another Head's Up for us who love Tech and use the hell out of it.

How many of us have an Iphone or Droid or Smartphone or Digital Camera with Gps? I bet a lot of us, we access this site with a computer so right there shows we all like tech.

How many kids are opening doors with this technology for all kinds of nefarious stuff to happen?

Or.......

Am I over reacting, and fear mongering?

Thoughts?

Oh, and be honest, who knew about this danger (so called) before you read my thread?

I admit before I read the article I had not thought about this particular aspect of the privacy/safety issues related to posting pictures at all.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Already discussed here in case you're interested in the comments there as well. You can shut the geotagging off, but you're right...most don't know that. Who reads the manuals, right? lol

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
the reason i do not have a cell phone, gps and smart chip, when you call 911 it send out a gps location as well as a id of the owner of the phone, if you know a hacker he/she can explain it. kind of like an IP that is also a way of finding you.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by bekod]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thanks, Lucidity. I really am unimpressed with the search feature here.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Welcome, and me too. It stinks...hope they improve it soon. Have you noticed how "off" the dates are on search results too? A thread started the other day was showing up as 2006. Just weird.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
the reason i do not have a cell phone, gps and smart chip, when you call 911 it send out a gps location as well as a id of the owner of the phone, if you know a hacker he/she can explain it. kind of like an IP that is also a way of finding you.
Gosh, I'd hate for emergency help to be able to find me if I had to call 911!!!

So you don't use a cell phone. Guess what, if you have a land line, they know where you are too... And homing pigeons can be followed. Guess you're SOL when it comes to communicating with other people then, huh?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
some people have no clue that there is this feature in there cell phone and i was referring to the fact hackers can find you any were, at home i am not worried about it, and on the road i am. as far as ip home phone that is just part of today's life, tomorrow the implanted chip.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join