It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood lied to you about Russians being cold and grim! Total proof!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
sorry about your experience in the states, but for the most part i would say the majority of us are nice, and even though not everyone will exchange pleasentries, i try to keep my attitude up and say hi to people who make eye contact with me on the street.

Listen to what my friend Steve Hoca says about social disconnectedness in America. He realized one day that I was right and made this video.

Also, see this video about how hard it is to make friends in Seattle and how it takes people several years to break into a clique.

Finally, check out these photos I took on a Seattle ferry that compares how people are vs. how they are on a ferry in Latvia:

intellectualexpat.blogspot.com...

Oh one more. Check out this guy in Philadelphia trying to talk to people on the street the same way I did in Russia. lol

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Id have to agree.....to an extent.

I went to Russian in 1993 just after the fall of communism. I flew in to Moscow and drove days down to Tolyatti stayed awhile and drove back. Spent a month total in Russia. Im sure Russia back then is VERY VERY VERY different than it is now.

Shhhhh!

We are supposed to have been brain washed. Russia was a black and white country that drove cheap copy cat American cars from the 1950s. Remember we were brain washed into thinking that.

Hey WWu777
Oh Brother....

What is this threads purpose anyway?
Is it a cheap plug for some of your youtube videos?

Maybe it is just me but I actually took the time to read non Biased stuff about other countries. I never thought Russia was a cold backwards country. Even though I grew up during the tail end of the cold war I never thought they are the way YOU SAY we thought of them. The Beatles were hugely popular in Russia for crisake.

Anybody that likes the Beatles are alright by me!

Yes Hollywood creates a lot of FICTION.
Keep it in perspective.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Can you provide some background to what is going on at 2:33 in the second video on this thread. Why are you getting her to kiss on camera? Seems rather exploitative to me.

For fun. She was a girl I dated. In the next scene, she did kiss on camera.

Hollywood movies show kisses on camera. So why can't I?

Stop being so prudish.

You gotta understand that the boundaries in Russia are different, VERY different. And I don't just mean physical boundaries either. I mean emotional and psychological boundaries.

You see, in most countries like that, a guy is ALLOWED to be a little naughty without being condemned as a creep. That's why there's more freedom for guys there. We can be who we naturally are without feeling like creeps. Men aren't emasculated like they are in the US. When you're there you'll know what I mean. It's a totally different vibe altogether.

You assume that what you see in that film takes place in the same vibe you are in now in the US. It is not. Film cannot pick up the vibes of a different place. That's one of its limitations. So you cannot feel the different vibe I was in in that video. So you assume it is the same vibe as the US. It is not. That is the fallacy you are operating under.

Here is something spooky. My electronic dictionary from Russia ONLY works in Russia. When I bring it to the US, it malfunctions and stops working, even after battery change. But when I bring it back to Russia, immediately at the airport it starts working again. Really freaky. But again, there is a VERY VERY different vibe there. It can't be captured on camera and you can't experience it through the video either.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This guy who dropped out of the police academy to find happiness and more freedom overseas, wrote me his heartfelt reasons why.

Again, this is something you will NEVER EVER hear in the mainstream media, not even in the alternative media. Such truthful feelings are just way too taboo to be published anywhere.

You probably don't remember me at all but I had a really long series of e-mail conversations with you a few years back. I don't think I used the same e-mail address though or I used an anonymous nickname at the time. I don't remember the exact year but it was probably around 2002 or 2003 when your website was a chronicle about all the problems you were encountering in Russia . I believe my initial responses to you were kind of critical in regards to your adventures in Russia and your motivations. Well, like you I am an Asian-American and I made the decision to live abroad in 2005. I haven't regretted it one bit and it has been a life changing (and saving) experience. It’s interesting and sort of funny to me that it seems you decided to live abroad roughly around the same time as I did. I always considered this option and deep down inside it’s what I was planning for in my life. I was far from being a “loser” in the U.S. , I was hired by a police dept and was going to work in law enforcement as a career. I fit the “type A” personality attributes pretty well because I’m fit, decent looking if not handsome, confident, outspoken, and I have managed my personal life well. However, I spent a couple weeks in the academy and realized that I could never become a cop. It wasn’t because I lacked the ability or the interest in police work it’s just that the motivation wasn’t there to “protect and serve” communities in the U.S. I had absolutely no interest in building a life in America and the people I was surrounded with just put all that into perspective.

After I quit the academy I felt fairly depressed because it was the first time I quit something major in my life. I felt like a failure for a couple years because I didn’t buckle down and go through with it despite my reservations. I even tried a couple more times to enter into law enforcement. This was done more to convince myself to fit into American society professionally rather than doing what I really wanted to do in my heart. It was only after I decided to put everything on hold for awhile and do some soul searching that I figured out what was really bothering me. It wasn’t me at all it WAS the society I was living in. I am just not materialistic or infatuated with conforming to the American ideal of what an American male should be or what constitutes the fabled “American ethic.” The whole idea repulses me and I feel a deep seeded disgust and aversion towards what many Americans stand for. It’s too bad I didn’t figure this out for myself until much later.. all told I wasted a good 4-5 years from 2001 until 2005 with indecisions about my life. Those should have been the prime years of my life spent partying, socializing, laying down a career path, and just enjoying my youth but I am still young (29) and have been happily living abroad the past couple years.

Let's face it America is good for some things like making money, developing stable businesses, and enjoying the natural landscape however the standard of living is highly overrated and downright poor in many respects. People in America are stressed, sexless, annoyed, and angry most of the time. You can see it in mainstream American culture, the macho bull# posturing, the elitism, and the feminist nonsense. I know some people will deny this and call us "pathetic" for our choices but I know too many American expats from all walks of life who are happily living abroad to discount this as mere coincidence. The english speaking western world has really pigeonholed itself as a moralistic, productive, and order based society but I feel the more you order and categorize people's lives the less happy they are. I’m not even going to get into all the racial discrimination, social politics, and other nonsense that pervades every aspect of American life either. Let’s just say that I’m sure you know about as much as I do how bad it can be as an asian minority in the U.S. Actually, it’s not even a race thing these days. I find a lot of my friends from ALL racial backgrounds to express how sick and tired they are of the bull# they face in daily American life. However, the vast majority of these guys will never leave. They just don’t have the options on the table because they set down responsibilities and roots that will not allow them that mobility. I feel for them, if only they knew..

Once you go abroad it’s difficult to go back. My first extended experience living overseas opened my eyes in a variety of ways. People will always be people but I believe that culture is the single biggest influence on people. There is definitely something wrong with America in this respect. America may be a lot of good things..productive, prosperous, and relatively free but the socialization of its citizens is much less advanced than other (much more economically poorer) countries I’ve been in. The way I look at it quality of life isn’t just all about money. It’s about what you can do with yourself in that society and how comfortable you feel around others. In America I was never truly “comfortable” but always felt tense or slightly agitated at the people around me. There’s definitely a hostility and tenseness to social interaction there that I don’t feel anywhere else. That’s a lot of negativity to deal with daily so it’s not surprising that out of all industrialized first world countries Americans generally have the least healthy lifestyles and shortest overall life spans.

Anyways, this e-mail ended up being a lot longer and more personal than I anticipated. Feel free to quote from this if you would like to. There are a lot of other observations I’d like to make including various countries I’ve traveled to in the past couple years but I’ll save that for another e-mail.

Also, keep up the good work. I really feel you are one of the more intelligent and insightful individuals out there on the internet. I’m sure there are lots of American men of all backgrounds who agree with your articles. Ignore the naysayers and bitter Americans out there who want to bring you down to their level. Be yourself and be happy with life. Life is short and sometimes that’s all we can do is just be.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Folks, you'll love this one. My friend Steve eloquently summed up life in America to me below. He describes the big picture of America behind all the fake facade we are given of it. It's so truthful and hits the nail on the head. Such a "refreshing oasis of truth", as I like to call it.

"Hello Winston:

Let me add to your list of things that I feel of what ails Americans, and why so many of them are in this sad, depressed state they are in.

I feel that America is a society (mainly through television) that has pumped up peoples' expectations way above and beyond what is humanly possible or realistic. What I mean is, we are told that capitalism is a great system, that our government, although incompetent, still loves us. We are continually being told that we have just as much opportunity as Bill Gates or Warren Buffet to retire in total financial comfort. We are also told that Americans are friendly and social, and that if you can't find socialization in your own life, then it's your own fault, and you just need to get out more (whatever the hell that means).

The list could go on and on infinitum. However, what I realize now is this: if people are sold bull# bills of goods, and things don't turn out like they're supposed to, then people go into a sort of neurosis where they either shut down, get anxiety, or a combination of the two. It's for this reason that there are all sorts of drugs out there (expensive, legal ones by prescription of course) that are designed to totally numb us and make us continue going along with this matrix. I have, however, noticed that marijuana and other natural psychedelic drugs do quite the opposite. It's for this reason that the governments of the world -- particularly America -- are strong about keeping these other harmless drugs illegal.

Most prescription drugs keep those people fed on high expectations from ever rebelling and hitting the streets. These drugs anesthesize their pain enough to make them still want to work, however, and continue life through this rigged matrix. However, if you ask a person who is on, say, Prozac what they feel about corporate America, the dating scene, the social scene, etc., they'll just say the same parroted crap that "life is what you make it and you need to go the extra mile to earn a living in this world." They'll also convince you that America is the best place in the world to live, and that people in most other countries are unhappy and would just die at the chance to come to this so-called free country. Some freedom huh, when you can't' even get an average-looking girl in your life?

Anyway, I now understand why it's so so important that I go overseas and get out of this rigged matrix. I am going to do everything in my power to make it happen this summer, or by early fall.

Talk to you soon Winston, and keep up the great work on your site.

Steve"

He later ruminated:

"there are times when I question myself and ask "how do I know that it's not me that's crazy or has obsurd ideas?"

I think that being inquisitive is productive, for the most part. But the problem with people like us -- having swallowed the red pill -- is that life is forever never easy for us. We live in a world of make believe and acting, and the whole way to get through this life is to conform to it as if all is good and nothing is wrong. We just shouldn't question it, we are told.

I commend you so much for having the gut to have a web site like the one you have. It's a breath of fresh air knowing that there are in fact like-minded people that think a lot like you. But again, I still, at times, question myself, which is why I need to get to the Phillipines so that I can get out of this social rut I'm in. Boy it stinks!

Anyway, I have to go now but I'll talk to you soon. Bye for now.

Steve"

[edit on 25-8-2010 by WWu777]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
i understand what you are saying, and i agree everything on tv is lies. however, not all americans are unfriendly, retarded, uneducated, ignorant of geography, and so on and so on. how can you stereotype the most ethnically diverse country in the world? we have people from all over the planet living here, so if you insult americans as a whole you are basically insulting every group of people in the world, they're all here too. people talk a lot of #### about america but we are one of the most tolerant, innovative, and generous countries in the world (the world that we help feed despite our own financial problems).

[edit on 25-8-2010 by 2weird2live2rare2die]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There is cultural differences for sure and what stereotypes are betrayed in media should never be trusted. Of course there is always exceptions to these stereotypes. Very interesting point this thread makes.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
i understand what you are saying, and i agree everything on tv is lies. however, not all americans are unfriendly, retarded, uneducated, ignorant of geography, and so on and so on. how can you stereotype the most ethnically diverse country in the world? we have people from all over the planet living here, so if you insult americans as a whole you are basically insulting every group of people in the world, they're all here too. people talk a lot of #### about america but we are one of the most tolerant, innovative, and generous countries in the world (the world that we help feed despite our own financial problems).

There is truth in that. But it's also the most socially segregated and disconnected culture I've ever seen, other than Japan and Korea that is.

People do not really connect at all. They just meet for convenience and then everyone goes their own separate way.

America is a lot of good things yeah. But it's also the loneliest country in the world, or one of the loneliest.

Mental illness and loneliness in America are the highest in the world. See here:

www.livescience.com...

www.washingtonpost.com...

It's also the hardest place in the world for an average guy in the world to get a date. Most women in America think that they are too good for 99 percent of guys. These two female psychologists wrote an article about this here:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The bottom line is, yes America has a lot of great things, but the ugly truths I mention in this thread are IGNORED and it is a TABOO to talk about them. Too much attention has been railed already about how great America is, which you've pointed out, so we don't need to hear it again. We've all been overfed about how great America is. So what you say is nothing new.

But the truths that I posted in this thread are TABOO AND FORBIDDEN, thus people don't get to hear them. But they are real and should be brought into awareness. Otherwise, it remains a silent epidemic.

So, yes there are two sides to every truth, a good and a bad. But in this case, people only know the good but not the bad. I am merely trying to balance this inequity.

There are many taboo truths in America that you are not allowed to talk about. These are just a few.

Read the letters I posted above for example. Those are real feelings, but they are forbidden, so the public never gets to read stuff like that.

Is that right? I don't think so. Truth is number one and should not be censored. Only a sick world censors out the truth.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by WWu777]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
There is cultural differences for sure and what stereotypes are betrayed in media should never be trusted. Of course there is always exceptions to these stereotypes. Very interesting point this thread makes.

Oh are you from Finland? It says near your avatar.

Can you tell me if what this video says about Finland is true?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Ok.........I propose this thread be shut down, I get a really really bad vibe about what is going on here, and seriously feel this is a round about way to justify some behaviors that we on ATS may not be aware of.

The OP started out good, but things took a very very strange and disturbing turn.

You keep posting the same videos over and over and going on and on about these women.....

This is creepy behavior, any way you slice it........

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
That's of course bit outtated but some points are valid. We do have tango but I'm pretty sure it's popularity has been going down for awhile. Alcohol consumption has steadily gone up probably and unless they ban alcohol it will keep going up for a long time. We've been getting more and more influence from western countries such as US so there is that youthfull spirit that is replacing that crumpy and gloomy stuff. It's true that we're reserverd and hopelessly shy.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
not everyone in america is like this. in bigger cities people aren't open and friendly because they are very dangerous places. they are used to being approached to be mugged, not for small talk. not every place in america is like this, however. if you visited a small city or small rural town you would get a completely opposite reaction. this isn't "forbidden" or "taboo" to talk about, i have no idea where you got that from. did you ever think that when you approach and begin talking to women that you have never met and try to film them they might just think you are some kind of creepy as$ pervert? this seems to be more mindless i hate america bs to me.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Because of the cold war, it does not matter.
Russia could be a carbon copy of the US, but alot of Americans will still refer to them as commies.

Even now, on any website which has a forum, if an individual expresses and anti-American viewpoint, one is deemed a communist.

I think the "you are either with us or against us" attitude is out of date, and it is time for some Americans to take a good, long, hard look at their country.

Take everything which Hollywood throws at us with a very very large pinch of salt.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join