Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

why is hell hot???

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
do you think that the writers of the Bible made hell hot because they lived in the middle east and it was so hot there and they thought that this was the worst feeling???

or because they never knew about the north / south poles and they never knew how freezing cold it was there???

why is hell hot???

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Does hell fire ring a bell?

Hell is meant to be a horrible place with features such as
the lake of hell fire.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Does hell fire ring a bell?

Hell is meant to be a horrible place with features such as
the lake of hell fire.

YES but WHY???

WHY did the writers of the Bible THINK that fire was the worst feeling???

you did not answer my question...

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
In the Bible, hell in certain verses is associated with burning and heat and fire. I don't know if thats really the case. One of the main things we need to take from these verses is that it is a place of discomfort for humans. I believe in the God of the Bible and he keeps my body functioning, at the same time He is doing that for someone who has rejected Him. Even if an unbeliever never felt the presence of God in this life it was still there. When somone goes to hell, it will mean a seperation from God and also other people. You will still be a functioning human but no presence of God will be felt. You will also retain your memories, which will include your transgressions against God. A part of hell could also be that your physical ailments in this life may follow you there also. If you had emphysema and if by chance that would follow you, can you imagine gasping for breath for all eternity. So all of these things plus the fact that this discomfort will never ever, ever end makes hell a horrifying place. The main thing is it's an eternal everlasting place of discomfort and loneliness and serperation from God. Remember man chooses to go to hell.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I thought of another part of hell. Needs and desires are not met in hell either. Along with no joy and hope for the future hell is beyond my description.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Throw in literal darkness too. I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of yet.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I disagree with the point that god is keeping anyone's body functioning, but to each their own.

the fires of hell are meant to be a deterrant from straying from god, offering the worst kind of torture and pain imaginable as the alternative to living for god.
I seriously doubt that any loving and compassionate father would do that.

I'm waiting for someone to say that hell is at the center of the earth.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Freezing is a fairly peaceful death. You just get really cold and fall asleep. Burning however...

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think that the hell is the way the ancients view the sins of the flesh, passion was a sin and so sex, and the feelings of heat and passion been evil feelings been unfulfilled wish felt to them like a hell and thats in my opinion how hell came to be hot.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
[Edited on 21-6-2004 by maynardsthirdeye]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
At the risk of obfuscating the matter, biblically there are 2 types of hell.

One is a place of darkness, a place where the "not so bad" people go - its called Sheol, and often known as the "outer darkness".

Somehow I think this is on a continium from Heaven, being bright, full of God's presence, to the opposite end being black, empty of Gods presence. like a spotlight on a darkened stage, you are as close to the light as your spiritual body is cleansed for.

People end up on that continuim according to their deeds, or bypass it straight to heaven on becoming a christian and having their sins forgiven.

The second place is hell as we know it - hades - it was a place initially designed for the devil and his servants. This seems seperate from Sheol, however there is a mixing of demons between sheol - in the very dark end and Hell.

I wonder at the dimensionality of the place, the fire etc, do not seem to be places that actually hurt the evil entities.

Its the humans, with their different build / structure that are the ones that suffer in hell. As if its a place so foreign to their bodies it causes pain. To humans fire is probably the worst pain you can suffer, and whatever it is in that place it is percieved as incredably painful to humans.

Although this is for eternity, there is a dissolusion of the soul over time, although it is a long time....

[Edited on 21-6-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Depends on whether or not you think it to be endothermic or exothermic.temperature of hell We could post this on the ATS thread re: Souls?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Why is hell hot?

Because hell isn't suposed to be a pleasant place, and they tought "Hey, lake of fire, that sound cool, and unpleasant. Because fire hurts human, so it should be enough to scare them and keep them from walking away from God."

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Just a theory, but if you have fire and darkness at the same time there seems to be only one possible solution. A black hole.
Everyone knows that a black hole is a star with a mass so great that it even keeps light from escaping. This doesn't mean the star will no longer burn, you just can't see it. This would also answer the question I saw earlier about escaping hell.
Of course no one really knows what it is exactly, just that it is a terrible place.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Is that there was, in ancient times, a trash heap located west of Jerusalem, in a steep valley called hinnom. It had originally been a site for the fertility cult of Moloch, the god of success. Moloch demanded the sacrifice of human babies, by burnig in a fire. When David conquered Jerusalem from the Jebusites, the sacred valley of moloch was used as a trash dump. For generations, people dumped their garbage, the unclean remains of butchery, and the enemy dead from various battles into that valley. There were constant fires erupting spontaneously from the decaying carcasses, it stank, and buzzards hovered on the thermal updrafts.

There's you're vision of hell---an eternal trash heap of those who departed from God's community.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
For anyone interested I found this link that claims that hell's doors are the mouth of volcanos.

www.av1611.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
anyway, the valley of hinnom in aramaic was "Ga-hinnom," which the Greeks transmuted into "Gehenna." That is the word that is usually translated as hell in the New Testament.

top topics

join