It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it anti-Muslim or anti-Islam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
"Muslim" denotes the people of the religion of Islam. I think we have to make a distinction between the people and the religion. I work in the Middle East and have constant contact with Musilms. Let me tell you they are exactly like people around the world. Really, no different. They want the same thing out of life as the rest of us, no more or no less.

I or you may disagree with the precepts of their religion but Muslims have as much right to believe in their religion as you or I have to believe in our religion of choice. Any of us can go through the Koran and find much to disagree with. We can also find much to disagree with in our own holy books if we take the time to actually read them.

Many believe Islam is a religion of hate. Having read the Koran and much of the Hadith (sayings and behavior of the Islamic prophet) I find much hate. I also find much hate in the bible.

The argument has been made that most terrorists are Muslim. Perhaps so, but is it reasonable to condemn all one billion adherents to a religion because of the acts of perhaps two or three hundred?

All religions tend to evolve into a gentleler version of the original. Occassionally radical adherrents surface and cloud the character of the religion. Bin Laden would be an example of a radical Muslim. Rabbi Kahane would be an example of a radical Jew. Radical Christians are numerous.

Lets all exercise a little tolerance for the beliefs of others.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I think the best point you've put forward is that we should, when talking about the bad part of islam, talk about "extremist Islam" or "extremist muslims".

I also take part in those discussions and frankly it doesn't sit well with me to generalize muslims as a whole when talking about the rotten apples.. I am very well aware that there are much more peaceloving and gentile muslims then there are radical terrorist muslims.

With christianity I am aware of the different branches existent, all adhering to their own style of worship, together with the pro's and con's that brings. I am convinced that these different branches of christianity should literally be seen as independent religions.

It is the same for muslims. They've got different groups adhering to different points brought forward in the Qu'ran and the Hadith.
It would be good (especially for our muslim readers) if we could distinguish between these different "branches". However I would simply not know what to call them.

A large portion of the muslim world is being targeted for the actions of a smaller portion of muslims. However when saying we are talking about a mere 2 to 300 people is IMO a great understatement. Why the need for 10s of thousands of soldiers to drive out such a minority if that were the case...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I have repeatedly stated that I have nothng at all againnst Muslim's, yet I have an intense dislike of Islam, it's teachings and how they are used to manipulate and control.

Unfortunnately it seems that the vast majority of people can not distinguish between the two.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Good thing the rest of the world is not like that...

I see people talking bad about the US multiple times in one day, on the threads I visit. If everybody would take offense as much as the muslim-defenders on this site do, we'd be better of shutting down this site because of all the hate that would exist.

There are always different sides in a discussion, but rarely do I see discussions heating up as much as in the average thread with a muslim-oriented subject...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

gem_man,
I agree with you 100%!!

I have lived here in Abu Dhabi for six years and have the same interactions with the locals, Syrian (my best friends, 1 Christian, 1 Sunni), Iraqi (my next-door neighbor, Sunni). They are civil and electrical engineers.
I spent most of last year working on Iranian rigs and 1 in Turkmenistan.

We go to a RC church which is located between a large mosque and a really large Coptic cathedral.
No problems, ever!

Good thread. Let others move off their couches and come see for their selves! Life is great here (so far) haven't seen mushroom clouds from across the Persian Gulf.

73's,
Tom (KC5ILU)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tomdham

Thanks for your thoughts. I have lived in Jordan for 12 years and travel extensively throughout the Middle East. In Jordan there is complete freedom of religion and never any problems.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
S&F I just read a thread that claimed that non-Islamic churchs were not allowed. My objection is to the lies that are being spread about Islam and Muslims by ignorant people in the West.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Therwe are churches all over the Middle East. An exception is Saudi Arabia.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Christian churches are tolerated to varying degrees throughout the Muslim world.
To say that they are tolerated carte blanche everywhere is as mis-leading as it is to say they aren't!

There are no churches at all in Saudi Arabia and several other Muslim countries.

Chrstians are regularly persecuted in quite a few Muslim countries.

Egypt and Iran are quite tolerant to their Christian populations as are several other countries.

As with most things, nothing is as black and white as some would have us believe.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by damwel

Christian churches are tolerated to varying degrees throughout the Muslim world.
To say that they are tolerated carte blanche everywhere is as mis-leading as it is to say they aren't!

There are no churches at all in Saudi Arabia and several other Muslim countries.

Chrstians are regularly persecuted in quite a few Muslim countries.

Egypt and Iran are quite tolerant to their Christian populations as are several other countries.

As with most things, nothing is as black and white as some would have us believe.

I believe you are mistaken but I am going to check and come back. I have friends in Saudi Arabia and I don't see how they can be christians and have no church but I will check before I make the claim that there are christian churchs in SA. However I do know for a fact that there are Christians in Saudi Arabia and they are not persecuted any more than Muslims are persecuted here.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Yes, there are Christian's in Saudi Arabia.
They are mainly Filipino's employed in domestic service and manual jobs and are paid relatively lowly.

The only religion allowed in public is Islam.
Worshiping Christ is reluctantly tolerated in the seclusion of private houses but religious clerics are not allowed entry into Saudi if they intend to preach, anywhere.

Christians are most definately NOT afforded the same freedoms in many Muslim countries that we allow Muslims in the West.

In quite a few Muslim countries Christians are barred from public office and positions of importance and influence.

[edit on 16/8/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

I see people talking bad about the US multiple times in one day, on the threads I visit. If everybody would take offense as much as the muslim-defenders on this site do, we'd be better of shutting down this site because of all the hate that would exist.

I woke up thinking the very same thing this morning,

I was going to compile a list of anti American anti christian topics, maybe I still will.

[edit on 123131p://bMonday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
However I do know for a fact that there are Christians in Saudi Arabia and they are not persecuted any more than Muslims are persecuted here.

This is nonsense.

There are laws that prevent the persecution of anyone on grounds of religious belief in most if not all 'western' countries.

Special dispensation from some laws are granted to some religious groups in some 'western' countries whilst total obediance to Islamic law is demanded in many, if not most, Muslim countries.

Muslims are even being allowed to apply Sharia Law in certan aspects of their dealings with each other, nothing similair is allowed anywhere in the Muslim world.

They have been recent reports of Muslim's burning churches, occassionally with the congregation inside, in Algeria, Kenya, Egypt, Somalia, Pakistan, India, Iraq....I could easily be wrong but I am unaware of any Mosques being burnt.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I give back as much tolerance as they would give me. I'm a group hug waiting to happen. I see them as a group hug with dynamite on their belt.

I realize the news has only the worst examples of their God forsaken religion featured. But still, there just seems to be a tendency that this religion has no tolerance of others, lacks a basic human rights structure for females, and has an abundance of people willing to murder as many innocent people as they can as suicide is committed by various means.

Other religions have nutcases that perform the same murders by various means to varying levels of success.

The percent of radical fundamentalist in other religions is much lower than islam. While generally speaking under 15-10% for other religions, with

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Well, you checked anything out yet?

You know I'm right don't you?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
All it prove is that all wars are holy ones ... like how the Christians got feed to the lions. Please lets not repeat that chapter in our evolution.

new topics

top topics

join