It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ont. parents suspect Wi-Fi making kids sick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Ont. parents suspect Wi-Fi making kids sick

www.cbc.ca

A group of central Ontario parents is demanding their children's schools turn off wireless internet before they head back to school next month, fearing the technology is making the kids sick.

Some parents in the Barrie, Ont., area say their children are showing a host of symptoms, ranging from headaches to dizziness and nausea and even racing heart rates.

They believe the Wi-Fi setup in their kids' elementary schools may be the problem.

The parents complain they can't get the Simcoe County school board or anyone else to take their concerns seriously, even though the children's sym
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
i dont know enough about this technology to know if its a vaild concern but i figured people would be getting sick at starbucks book stores etc any place with free wi fi i dunno how credible an article this is but it is an interesting read and id be more then happy to hear peoples views on this weather they think its nonsense or a vaild concern it just strikes me as odd that upuntil this i havent even heard of this being a possiblity or a danger glad im on a wired connection as i type this .....

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I think there is something to it.
Although, the body is a network of electric signals moving(edit) to and from the brain, so I would imagine it could be disturbed/interfered with our technologies... Have a read..

Electric Sensitivity

And here :

ES Gro H.B. former Primeminister of Norway.

Gro Harlem Brundtland is director-general of the World Health Organization. A medical doctor with a master's degree in public health, as well as former prime minister of Norway, she has recently been speaking in public about her own sensitivity to computers, cordless phones and cell phones. Not only has she warned parents against allowing their children to use cell phones or microwave ovens, but she said that she herself has become so sensitive to the radiation that she does not allow anyone to enter her office with a cell phone turned on. "If you enter my office, you are invited by me. No one who is invited would like to give me headaches," she said at a news conference in Oslo on July 1, 2002, where she was attending an international conference on cancer.

[edit on 16/8/2010 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Well study after study recommends that children's use of cellphones be limited. I can't see how wi-fi is any different.

The Starbucks point, IMHO, is irrelevant, especially sense people don't typically spend about six hours hours a day there. Or they shouldn't anyways. LoL!

All this stuff whizzing through the air is definitely a drawback to our rampant connectivity. It's bound to affect us in ways we can understand or measure yet, whether physiologically or psychologically.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
no relpys to this i figured atleast one theory would pop up oh well its problay not a serious enough article but oh well thats how the cookie crumbles

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I would take the parents side on this.

The earth has its own electromagnetic resonance (7.83Hz).

A science study in India found that bees navigation is disrupted by mobile phone cell towers, with the bees unable to navigate back to their homes(doh, hives).

There is conjecture that electromagnetic noise pollution in the oceans (sonar etc) is screwing with dolphins and whales communications and navigation (possibly causing beaching events).

The human body has its own electromagnetic circuitry which must be effected by all this extra radio noise (TV, WiFi, Radio, Microwaves, Infrared remotes).

There is growing evidence that too much mobile phone use can cause tumors from the radio waves of the antennas (in OZ, they recommend that kids should avoid prolonged phone use. - text or use a earphone so the phone is not near your head).

Spend a week or two in the woods away from all this and you are bound to feel better for it.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by CitizenNum287119327]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Wi-Fi is comprised of radio waves, which pass through your body constantly all day every day. If you want to shut wi-fi off, then you should be petitioning to have all radio stations shut down as well, but no one seems to have had a problem with those for the past several decades. Same thing as people claiming that vibrations from wind turbines are making them sick... utter nonsense. Could be something as simple as dust or mold allergies, schools tend to have a lot of both.

I do feel there are some legitimate things that make people feel bad that have been around forever though, like fluorescent lighting or the white noise of electricity buzzing. I've got both in my office at work, and it seems to just drain me within a couple of hours of sitting in it. I'd say fluorescent lights humming in classrooms is a bigger concern than wifi.

[edit on 8/16/2010 by Yarcofin]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I'm under the impression that GSM and WiFI radio waves cause my body to tinkle. I have had periods that I would shut off my router during the night cause I couldn't sleep.

Never found out if it was just my "hunch" or reality....

I was either thinking aspartaam or wifi that was causing it.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here's some interesting comments from the source.

Are these by any chance the same parents who blame Wind turbines on causing illness through vibrations?
--
None of these parents or kids has wi-fi at home? It's not like they have a huge radar installation going, it's a router like any other for pete's sake.
--
That's funny, you cant even walk down a street with out being around WI-FI. i know my wireless picks up 17 neighbors with in 2 block of me. and you think just turning it off in a school will do anything? There are so many "hot spots" around town that they wont be able to leave the house.
--
Could be schoolitis. I used to get sick every Monday morning but come Friday afternoon, I felt fine and was rarin to go.
--
There was an MIT under grad study on the Effects of WiFi on people. They had a WiFi generator that had antennas, dials and blinking lights. When the generator was brought in the room and and turned on the subjects felt the effects. When it was turned off and removed from the room off the subjects felt much better.

The machine did nothing.

The ceiling of the room was loaded with active WiFi base stations that were on all the time yet the subjects only reacted when the fake WiFi generator was turned on an in the room.

Read more: www.cbc.ca...#ixzz0wmSUZOvU

Edit: External tags not working so I used quote.

[edit on 16/8/2010 by SassyCat]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Oh Barrie Ontario... The reason for their sickness is because my evil grandmother lives there... I always get sick when I go there. Its because shes Pure concentrated EVIL! She just looked at a puppy once and it peed in fear.

Seriously this is just hypochondriac parents. WiFi is radio waves.... they've been around for a while and so has WiFi and only now they are getting sick. Maybe its their cellphones or the cafeteria food. Really Parents need to let their kids eat some dirt, rather than bathe them in Lysol and purell. Poor things don't have a built of immune system because mommy and daddy wrapped them up in a bubble and fed them McDonalds. That's the real reason.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
yeah i was out all the time when i was a kid so i didnt realy get too sick after 5 or 6 kids these days are in almost a sudo bubble i used to play outside at night and what not now kids these days are coddled and almost locked down until they drive.ha the mc donalds is a good theory but in small doses it shouldnt kill ya now if your like some people who eat it every day id bet there would be some medical ramifications im leaning more twords the parents being kinda outa it on this one but ya never know i dont realy know the dif between 3g 4g etc but i would imagine its mostly bandwith

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If wifi made you sick then I would be deathly ill.

Seriously...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
(EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about an elementary school and not secondary, as such my comments may not make as much sense as I first thought they would. You may see why.)

Not to take away from the very informative discussion on Wi-Fi risks but I'd just like to throw in another, completely out of left field, explanation for the symptoms that these kids are displaying. I'm originally from Ontario and, though I've never actually lived there, know Barrie quite well. Now, just about any teenager in Ontario either currently does or has at one point smoked copious amounts of marijuana, especially the generations coming up now. Unfortunately for these teenagers, the overarching drug game has resulted in a large amount of "street weed" being laced with bad things, PCP being one of the most common. It's entirely possible that these teens have been partaking from a tainted source and that their parents are blind to their drug consumption.

Or I could be completely wrong and Wi-Fi will make all of their head 'splode.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by The-White-One]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Well study after study recommends that children's use of cellphones be limited. I can't see how wi-fi is any different.

The frequencies are different: cellphones operate at one or more of 700-800MHz, 800-900MHz, and 1710-2150MHz. Wifi is 2.4GHz (2400MHz).
The power levels are different: cellphones can transmit at powers nearing 4 watts while wifi power is limited to less than 1 watt and is typically less than 1/2 watt.
The range is different: cellphones typically operate alongside the head whereas wifi in laptops is usually down near stomach level and wifi a/p antennae are most likely to be installed overhead.
Considering the power drops with the square of the distance you can see that exposure is far less with wifi than cellphones.

Now having said that... looking over the symptoms, it sounds completely and entirely in line with basic anxiety, right down to the nightmares and rashes, and I've met very few children who didn't have those sorts of symptoms with anything or anywhere they didn't want to do or be.

[edit on 8/16/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
jeepers
haven't they figured out yet
school makes children sick.
teachers too because they get paid sick days.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
already posted, the exact same thing, since I replied to the thread ...

new topics

top topics

join