It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 on course to be world's hottest since records began

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ah, I see, I'm still iffy on the doom and gloom of that, not that I don't belive you, and I'll agree it is serious. But we're reletivly young giving the suposed age of the earth and the timespan. Plus we don't have alot of data to go on, sure there is bits and peices and proof and clues here and there. But we kind of fill in the rest using what we know.

So with that being said what if it's a normal cycle of weather, or heat, or global warming or global cooling. Granted us being here has probably effected it for better or worse but what if its a natural thing, and its just the first time we're experiancing it, or the first time its actually being recorded.

I think also plants an animals have away to survive, might not be the best but they will thrive. Like the Polar bears they are moving south and mating with grizzlies and other bears to create hybrids.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Jedite

We are very clear about the previous temperature in our past - we gain these through ice core samples and many other samples of trapped particles - we have a temperature record which is very exact going back hundreds of thousands of years and a not so exact still very good indication of the rough temperature scale going back several million years.

What we absolutely know is that yes things were hotter at some times and significantly colder at other times. There is a very natural cycle of heating and cooling of several minor degrees - this cycle comes from our natural wobble in our orbit and another wobble in our ellipse. These combine somteimes to form extreme variations. (We were once in a snowball state - almost entirely frozen over).

Now these heating periods cause things to melt and this releases carbon - these in turn cause an amplification of this heating (green house effect). Things heat up etc- getting worse blah blah until there is a natural stabilising effect and we go back to a cooling state before the process starts again.

Sometimes in our past we have had massive carbon ejections - such as when India crashed into Europe which caused massive amounts of carbon to be thrown into the atmosphere - this caused a rapid and sudden climate shift heating the world massively outside of the normal pattern - it was fast and caused the greatest extinction on our planet as the animals and plants could not adapt fast enough.

Our current habits are akin to a India crashing into Europe - we are causing a climate shift (which does occur naturally) but out of synch with this cycle. This shift is also occurring when the earth is due to go back into a cooling phase - very bad.

The reason why we will not survive is not because polar bears can move - but plants can not. They are fixed. The migration of plants species takes thousands of years for them to adapt enough to even the tiniest change in temperature and climate - animals are a lot more resilient (although many are not).

Although there are many plants which can survive in other areas - it would take decades for them to be able to migrate there - they do not simply get up and walk there and humanity can not re-seed the entire planet. Hence as the climate changes around a plant it can not move, it simply dies - and they are incredibly vulnerable to even tiny variations.

Most creatures are also very dependant on very specific plants - so when these die those animals die as well. Remember Polar bears are only one in billions of species - so when we lose so much bio-diversity even those things which can adapt will die as the eco-system collapses and dies.

There is not much chance of this NOT HAPPENING in the next 50 years.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

The reason why we will not survive is not because polar bears can move - but plants can not. They are fixed. The migration of plants species takes thousands of years for them to adapt enough to even the tiniest change in temperature and climate - animals are a lot more resilient

What are you talking about? Its not 1750 here. We can move stuff around fast..We have ships and planes. Hell, half the plants in my area are not native, they were shipped in...

Moving crops is NOT the problem..

[edit on 16-8-2010 by CynicalM]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aristophrenia
No one ever said it was UK change - its called global for a reason.

That's cool...

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
well here in the UK i am yet to see this hot weather
our summers here have been 2 weeks at the most of good weather
the rest have been abismal

I feel ya brother. Wish we could see some of this weather here in So Cal. It's been ridiculously cold considering we're in the hottest month of the summer. Ridiculously cold to a Californian is probably nice and warm for you guys in the UK though.

Climate change is real, has to be. Global warming... eh not so much. Considering it has to be global right and it certainly isn't global if me and GezinhoKiko aren't feelin it.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by conspiracy88]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

by saying global that would include the uk, yes?
so as my post, here in the uk there is no sign of this so called warming!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Somebody turn down the heat, I'm dyin' over here.
I think we're in for one hell of a winter as well.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I've got a drainage ditch running along side my road that is just screaming at me to plant some onions and other tube plants. And my back yard, after having to root out 3 trees that were frost bitten, look good for my first ever try at horticulture. That's right, I'm going to replace my lawn with an edible garden.

It takes more than lots of sunlight for crops to grow, and some places are flooding out while others are burning up. I probably will not plant any wheat or grains, but I will plant edible roots (love the sweet potatos), vine fruits (tomatos), and other yummies I haven't decided on yet.

No matter what happens in the next decade, I think everyone should reevaluate their allotted/owned land and rethink the idea of what lawns could be used for. I've eaten grass as a little kid in the past, but it lacks everything but fiber. It's good to walk on and manage, and I will keep grass in the front yard (and back yard in areas).

And if the government tries to tell me I cannot have food crops in my front yard by the street (the drainage ditch is an easement or gov owned), that isn't going to stop me. Why would it? I tend the grass there, and will tend the onions as well. The biggest problem I see is rodents and bugs. Gotta look into that.

The idea of neighborhood gardens never really caught on except for HOA/POA managed areas, and that's a shame. I've got 10020sqft of land, minus the house, 3 trees, and a fence. The front yard is mostly shaded by my huge oak (that sheds 8 of 12 months) so I'll keep it mostly in the back yard.

Whatever happens globally, be it flooding, fires, severe weather, rising prices, genetic manipulation, or what not, I am able and now willing to supply at least some of my own food.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join