It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 on course to be world's hottest since records began

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

2010 on course to be world's hottest since records began

www.irishtimes.com

THIS YEAR looks set to become the hottest year on record worldwide, following confirmation that global average temperatures for the first seven months of 2010 were the warmest since records began in 1880.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
OK, take a deep breath, everybody. Before we begin, a little thought experiment:

Now, I wiant you to imagine that we've already gone through five or ten pages of posts such as:

A: "Global warming is a hoax"
B: "No, man its real"
C: "Shut up, filthy hippie, its a scam."
D: "You shut up, redneck, we're all gonna die!"

It shouldn't be too hard to imagine five or ten pages of this, since, well, we see it all the time. And now that you've seen it in your mind's eye, we can try to move beyond all that to a more interesting discussion, surely?

I'd like to think so. So, whatever your stance on global warming, I'm frankly not interested in recapitulating the same tired arguments.

Here's what DOES interest me about this topic. Maybe one of the following will interest some of you, too:

1) What are the impacts on gloabl food prices going to really be? How will they effect different nations, regions, etc.?

2) How could this in turn change other factors, like the economy, international and regional security, medical issues, etc.?

3) What other knock-on effects are there? The article mentions all sorts of freakish, destablizing weather patterns, like extreme rains in China, etc. Then there has been flooding in Pakistan, the Russian wildfires, etc. Coincidence or not?

4) Anything else you can think of that is NOT related to the same old stale global warming debate.

I'm launching this rickety glider in the hope we can have a weather-related conversation that soars above the usual global-warming-related topic-swamp, but I don't have high hopes. Please prove me wrong, ATS.

www.irishtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
temps are raising on all planets. is the globe warming, yes, is it man made, I dont know, i would blame the sun right now

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It's definitely hot here in Washington (have my fan on right now.) Man, this is crazy stuff. I don't know why it's so hot, none of us know for sure, but the sun does seem to be going a little crazy, plus it's been said that the temp is rising on all planets (as a previous poster said.)

We are living in some crazy times, and it's things like that this make me think maybe we're not all just paranoid.. maybe, something really is beginning, and we are about to be right in the middle of it. Great stuff... s&f for you for bringing this to ATS!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I have to get one thing off of my chest before I address your questions.

LA times weather article

Ok, now that that is out of the way, to the questions. The following answers are based on the theory that global warming is actually happening and what the effects "might" be.

1) What are the impacts on gloabl food prices going to really be? How will they effect different nations, regions, etc.?

With a longer growing season in northern latitudes and more CO2 in the air, plants will, on average, produce more. Food supplies worldwide would, potentially, grow and the price of food would actually drop. More active weather patterns might cut into this a bit. Nations in more equatorial latitudes might have trouble growing traditional crops but more tropical crops, such as lemons, oranges, etc. would have a wider growing area. This would, hopefully, help farmers in Florida recoup some of the losses experienced during the record cold winter that we had this year.

2) How could this in turn change other factors, like the economy, international and regional security, medical issues, etc.?

Lower food prices would allow giving nations to share more crops with those who are in dire need. "If" that food can reach those who really need it and not wind up in the personal stash of some warlord, then things would actually improve for those people. There might actually be a negative impact on the global economy as food commodities would see a loss from previous highs. Bio-fuels might actually get back down below petrol-based fuels and could possibly effect the prices of grains like corn and soybeans, both excellent sources of bio-fuels.

3) What other knock-on effects are there? The article mentions all sorts of freakish, destablizing weather patterns, like extreme rains in China, etc. Then there has been flooding in Pakistan, the Russian wildfires, etc. Coincidence or not?

Since you asked the question, I feel that the extreme rain in China and the russian wildfires are related. With a jet-stream moving the bottling up moisture in the south of asia, the areas of russia currently experiencing the wildfires are hurt by the lack of moisture. This same weather pattern has brought record cool temperatures to southern california and record highs to the central US. I don't believe, though, that this weather pattern will remain in place indefinitely. One thing that you can count on weather doing is changing.

4) Anything else you can think of that is NOT related to the same old stale global warming debate.

Not really. That debate has been going on longer than most people who post to this board have been alive. The "environmental" side has changed its stance a number of times but their opponents have pretty much stayed the same course. This is why it takes more to convince older people that global warming is a real threat. They still recall the whole "global cooling" debate of the 60's and 70's and how vehemently the proponents of that theory argued their point. They were proven wrong then.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
temps are raising on all planets. is the globe warming, yes, is it man made, I dont know, i would blame the sun right now

I think we are long past the point of debating why there is global warming, the question is what do we do about it and how do we respond to it? This endless debagte about man made or not reminds me of a bunch of people on a sinking ship argueing about why they are sinking and not doing anything about it.

If this is how we respond to a planetary crisis, then maybe our turn as the dominant species is coming to a close.. we just stupided ourselves out of being top of the food chain.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
OK, I can see this is going to be another global warming thread, despite my efforts to decouple the concept of "hot weather" from "global warming is true/false."

What a fool was I to even try.

Have fun with it, folks. Or don't. Either way, I'm outta here.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
After reading this there may be some questionable proof regarding that.

US Government admits satellite temperature readings “degraded.” Global warming temperatures may be 10 to 15 degrees too high.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
What if its actually cooling? Like making this is a warm up period right before it. I read somplace a magize or internet site I will find and link it.

But there are a few scientists who think we're going into an ice age, I do remember some of the "poof" they pointed to. Humans are getting hairrier the past 100 or so years. Our bodies are trying to prepare they said. Also they named off a few ones that happend in recent times (give that the 1000's and 1100's are recent in human times). They also said that warming precluded those little ice ages and lead to the destablization that lead to those ice ages.

They had some more but thats all I remembered, I will start looking for where I found it at.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Wow - leave out the debate was your specific request and BANG the EGYPTIAN FISH are all over this one -...

When will people realise - global climate change has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHAT SO EVER to do with regional weather patterns...OK!!

It is just asinine to even consider what happens at LA AIRPORT - or anywhere near your neck of the woods - is somehow an indicator of global warming - it is just the height of stupidity - absolutely NOT RELATED !

To answer the OP - climate (as opposed to weather) changes, specifically heating - will mean that a very small change in average temperatures will cause massive disruption to the growing cycles of even the most readily grown staples - having said that there will be new areas opening up as old areas shut down - the real problem is going to be adapting these new areas fast enough to agriculture - Russia is looking like having a WIN, WIN from global warming - massive areas of well fertilised tundras will be opened up to wheat - while much of America will be turned into a dust bowl.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aristophrenia
Wow - leave out the debate was your specific request and BANG the EGYPTIAN FISH are all over this one -...

When will people realise - global climate change has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHAT SO EVER to do with regional weather patterns...OK!!

Actually it kind of does, global climate changs effects and influences, regional climate change, and regional climate chage effects regional weather patterns. Just no one ever really looks at the small pictures they look at the big pictures.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
There have only been 130 years of recorded temperature, its really not that much, so yes we are going to be seen new highs and new lows. Its not the end of the world

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedite

Originally posted by Aristophrenia

Actually it kind of does, global climate changs effects and influences, regional climate change, and regional climate chage effects regional weather patterns. Just no one ever really looks at the small pictures they look at the big pictures.

You are missing the point entirely - every single creditable climatologist (not weatherman here) utterly rejects local weather patterns as any indicator of global warming - utterly.

Global warming will affect regional and local weather patterns - however - they in themselves have no bearing on on Global warming.

For example taking a glass of water from the ocean -looking at it, shaking it up, studying it will tell you nothing about the state of the ocean - however if we step back and look at the state of the ocean - it is turbulent, stormy, in a tropical environment - we can tell what the result will be on the same glass full of water.

As for weather men (meteorologists) - the analogy would be to a flight timetable co-ordinator commenting on the physics of Aeronautics and proposing ideas, solutions and designs on fighter jets - these people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about - it is a very specific condition known as the Dunning–Kruger effect - people who are stupid think they are smart because they do not realise how stupid they are : - denialists are a perfect example of the Dunning–Kruger effect...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Heh, so being ignorent actually has a fancy name? That is kind of funny. And I guess what you say is true, I didnt picture it like that. I had a picture more like (using the ocean analogy still) Taking a look at the creek or river (being local weather) that flowed into the ocean and using the information that way.

But your way would make more sence I guess.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Every time we send another craft into space it changes the earths trajectory.

Where are we heading?

It's suppose to get hotter just not this quick.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jedite

I only discovered the Dunning Krugger effect a few weeks ago - it is probably the best response you can ever have to a republican, denialist, creationist - all three equally embarrassing on an intellectual scale.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

Nice, I might have to start using it.
So even though the OP left what did he want to talk about if my first post didnt fit. I really can't add anything I guess Oklahoma acording to people who lived here all their life it normally gets 100-110 give or take with the heat index and humidity, and thats roughly how hot it's been here.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
He wants to talk about the impact of weather change with the assumption that the weather is changing but not talk about it from a global warming perspective - which is absolutely fair enough.

This is probably the single most important factor - plants can not adapt fast enough to climate change - it takes them thousands and millions of years to adapt to a new climate and migrate (which is what they do) - although humans can simply plant corn or wheat where it becomes more suitable (to a degree) plants - forests, grasses - all of nature - can not do this and will simply die - meaning the vast majority of the earths plants will simply die - destroying all natural habitats on earth over a 3 degree temperature rise - this is forecast in the next 50-100 years - meaning everything in nature, including the oceans will simply die.

Its that serious, and that real - but people would rather listen to their weather man on TV ....FFS!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
well here in the UK i am yet to see this hot weather
our summers here have been 2 weeks at the most of good weather
the rest have been abismal

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
well here in the UK i am yet to see this hot weather
our summers here have been 2 weeks at the most of good weather
the rest have been abismal

No one ever said it was UK change - its called global for a reason.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join