It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unsolved Mystery of Agatha Christie's Disappearance in 1926

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Just out of speculation I could say there's a possibility of a Supernatural explanation. I personally am not sure but I have spent most of my life in the same town as Agatha did (Torquay) and there does seem to be a lot of people around here that are into this stuff, saying that though i'm sure it's the same anywhere but people here tend to be a lot more open. I know a few practicing witches, there's even a spiritualist church near by that summons spirits of the dead and i've seen a few weird things myself. Whether or not Agatha got caught up in something i'm not sure but it is fairly easy to around here.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
As always, we'll never really know what's transpired.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I come to ATS for threads like these.

I know of Christie, but never was aware that she had disappeared.

Intriguing, thank you.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I find the seance trick in Istanbul to be nonsensical. Digging up floorboards to find a key that could not be agreed upon is ridiculous. Then to find another key is equally as ridiculous. Especially since a diary could have been opened very easily so that whole story is without merit in my opinion.

As for Christie's alleged disappearance and amnesia, I suspect that the story that is told by the young girl is true. She wanted to throw fear into her husband...this entire so called mystery is not very compelling for a mystery writer...

Pretty silly stuff! So she took a hike for a whiole...so? She returned, she apparently solved her marital problems by marrying another. I liked her line about archaeologists! So true...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Don't you watch Doctor Who? This was all explained. lol.

Seriously, one of the biggest mysteries of the 20th Century, perputrated by one of the biggest mystery writers of the 20th Century.

If anyone knew how to disappear, it would have been her.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LiteraryOneTwo

Well, I find the seance part of this story to be over the top, as well. It's not too big of a leap to consider the Hotel and the Psychic got together and set it up, probably for press and money.

As for the disappearance itself, the big deal (as you put it) is not what she did as much as how and why she did it. Perhaps looking back on it now, it's no big thing, but it was a very big deal at the time and even now, presents us with mystery, intrigue, revenge, deceit, etc. All things that people love to speculate about.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Long, long has it been since I have read Agatha Christie.

The same can be said for Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.

They were all usually far too easy to solve as I always solved them halfway through.

However, this mystery sounds more like Agatha Christie's revenge, upon her husband.

As well there is far more to the element of society of "Psychics" than most people know.

Think of this, those within the "Psychic Community", as a Secret Society.

There is even a communications network within it which would make any Intelligence Agency jealous, considering they are far more guarded and secretive.

It sure seems Agatha Christie knew how to ruffle her husbands feathers.

Knowing her, that he would think he could have a mistress, without her knowing seems foolish, at best, and downright stupid, at worst, but underhanded scheming might have been what attracted her to him to begin with.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I like the part of the story that told how money was WAY more important then solving the mystery. I'm hopin that someone either steals both of those keys and gets their a** back to England and solves this mystery or and idk why I think this, but I kind of hope it stays a mystery aswell. To anwser your question, I think it might have been a combination of things. Get more attention from her husband and she left the key behind so people can figure out why she did anything.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
There is somewhere a BBC documentary about the missing days - I recall seeing it in the 70s i think - Ill have to dig around on IMDB but ill post what I can find.

To Add - the Dr Who episode is a classic - just dont watch if you hate Wasps!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Got it - and it stars Dustin Hoffman (forgot about that)

uk.imdb.com...

Now if I can find a stream of it Ill post that

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

Silk, thanks for the additional links, much appreciated!

[edit on 16-8-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Couldn't they just brake open the dairy...come on now, if its like the ones my daughter has...they are very easy to get into...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
She was helping the Doctor fight a giant alien wasp!

[edit on 16-8-2010 by DetectiveFork]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
She was a Feminist.....who cares what happened to her?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

Hey - take your fem. hate somewhere else, k?
Thanks.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Was it revenge? Was it publicity stunt? Was it truly amnesia? Could there have been a paranormal connection and a real message from the author, herself?

www.straightdope.com...

The Christies immediately went into seclusion, and several doctors were called in; they put out the story that Agatha was suffering from amnesia brought on by grief over her mother's death. Virtually no one believed this, though, and Agatha's subsequent refusal ever to discuss the matter--she made no mention of it in her autobiography--has fueled speculation among mystery buffs that continues to this day. The most plausible explanation is that she simply wanted to get away from a bad situation and embarrass her husband at the same time. At any rate, the two were divorced in 1928 and she later married archaeologist Max Mallowan.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Hey - take your fem. hate somewhere else, k?
Thanks.

I think I have a right to dislike feminists as much as they dislike men. Now THATS true equality.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Whatever. Thanks for the thread bump, in any case.

As for the Foe'ing ...

Lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this. I had never realized all that went down. What a fun read for a change here on ATS.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Whatever. Thanks for the thread bump, in any case.

As for the Foe'ing ...

Lol.

You're welcome.
(second line)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join