It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a new deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Mods feel free to place where appropriate

We are currently facing a downward spiral of war, financial ruin, a crumpling infrastructure, and failing economy. We have one of the most unpopular presidents nad congresses ever. These are all facts that few here can debate.

I propose a new "New Deal". Why do we not start a work program similar to those started during the great depression? Instead of prolonging unemployment benefits, we as a country provide work details to give the people something to do.

1.This will have multiple effects. it would put people back top work.

2. it would boost the economy

3. It would give the people a renewed source of pride.

4. It would provide an increased stimulus to go find a better job.[ these jobs would only pay a living wage and require real work]

5. It would create new jobs in other industries to provide needed supplies and materials for these programs.

6. It would get people off there butts and doing something.

I also propose that one of these programs be the building and maintaining of a wall on the southern border. this would boost the economy in a blighted area of the country. Increase national security. Provide jobs to the area. And help to regain a feeling of national pride.

I feel that if the Chinese could do this 1000 years ago with only primitive tools, we , as Americans could do the same quicker and better.

From there we could start to make much needed repairs to our aging interstate system, and even move on from there.

We need to get up off our butts, find something to do, and renew our sense of community and national pride. These ideas would deo just that.

What does the ATS community think?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I love the idea of putting people to work and think that if our Government weren't so darned corrupt this is what would be happening instead of just posting signs everywhere on roads to make it look as though this were actually happening on a large scale.

But building a wall? The Chinese did it out of fear. Isreal isn't really having much of a public relations success with their wall. Walls don't stop problems, they only create angry people. Good policy and common sense work way better than walls ever will.

*edited because my hobby is typos*

[edit on 8/15/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
as a out of real work for over a year now I would welcome a work program such as this .
Let me tell you from the lazy street people point of view even a minum wage FULL time job is better then LIVEIN IN A SHeLTER liveing on what little people choise to donate that the very donation programs dont steal.
so many people post here acting like we love this life .Your all full of it .
No man will trade 1000$ a month at minum wage for 180 worth of food stamps and abed on the shelter floor. who are you lieing to?
what is wrong with you people ? dont you think we know how to add?
all the programs you talk about 90% are for woman and children only .
Yea give me a job as long as its full time and even minum wage ill TAKE IT .
man i could have a car again I could have my own place again (even if its just renting a room . I could buy my own food go out and eat once in a wile.
according to people here who post we just love not being able to live a normal life .
man I cant even have a woman I have NOTHING to offer .

[edit on 15-8-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I imagine then if we are going to be sending so many people to the Southern Border to build a wall, then there will have to be a facility to house them and feed the workers.

Of course, since it is so hot out there we should wait til Winter otherwise the enslaved, I mean employed will not get heat stroke.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The two major groups were called the WPA and CCC.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

A Gallup poll of 18 April 1936, asked "Are you in favor of the CCC camps?"; 82% of respondents said yes, including 92% of Democrats and 67% of Republicans.[26]

They built many bridges, roads, dams, and other projects at
the time.

When the man in the White house was out giving speeches he
basically said he was going to do something like this.

But like a lot of things, the product was not as advertised.

We could correct the trade deficit just by building out algae oil
vertical hydroponic systems in the desert.

Imported oil is one of the single biggest aspects of the trade deficit.

I think a large scale wind power project would help as well.

Several new Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors.

These things can actual eat radioactive waste and burn much
more of the fuel than conventional reactors.

Large scale solar like the solar thermal tower would be good as well.

en.wikipedia.org...

Rebuilding the electric grid is much needed with the current spate
of blackouts and brownouts.

Putting it underground would reduce losses due to "sag effect"
and the lines operate better when kept cool and at a constant
temperature year round.

Water would be the major threat, but there are underground power
lines in many areas of the US, and service tunnels like those
in the new york area would allow for upgrades and repairs without
large scale street level interruptions.

So for me it would be electrical generation and delivery.

Fix all the roads, bridges, dams, and other decaying Infrastructure.

Provide millions of jobs that stimulate the economy at the bottom
versus handing billions over to a bunch of financial pirates.

Instead of paying billions for foodstamps projects like this could
be scaled up to feed the homeless and poor of our nation
and other nations.

This all works right now, we just need the government to start
actually giving a damn about the citizens instead of plutocrats.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Your ideas would help in many areas and create a direction for energy independence which I believe is achievable but would cause TPTB to lose control of the people.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I am not saying that any are unemployed by their own volition, but that there are those abusing the system. i.e. working for cash while drawing benefits for example. Nor am I saying that any are too lazy to work. However the U.S. has been trending away from physical work for many years now.

I would just like to see our government use our money more wisely by creating jobs instead of just passing it out. Many are like yourself and willing to work if they could find it. These programs would allow people the opportunity to go back to work and strengthen the infrastructure of the country, instead of increasing the dept.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Without a doubt common sense should rule, but we are talking about the government here. Securing our borders is now a matter is national security, not just an attempt to assuage our fears.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I am all for massive public works projects in times of recession. The Obama Administration has proposed such ideas but has not, in my opinion, done enough to make them reality.

A national high-speed rail network would help America immensely, it's a good idea and one that should happen. Now President Obama should get going on it! Just like the original United States transcontinental railway, it should be started at the coasts, and Chicago and move out from there.

Replacing aging bridges, dams and the power grid would also create thousands of jobs and improve the lives of Americans notably as well.

From there, something like a new Space Race could be undertaken too, but with an emphasis on commercial use of space, zero-g factories, lunar mining and the like could be a long-term project that would give many college-educated Americans jobs too.

I don't believe that building a wall is a good answer, it's divisive and in times of crisis unity is far more preferable.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

You have made some very good points on projects. There are it seems too many to list and many might be less controversial. But it seems that all agree that our country needs a new work program instead of more money for those on unemployment.

it is better to teach people to fish than to give them the fish.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I wouldn't have thought that people here would support the US shipping their undesirables to government sponsored work camps on the borders.

It seems a little more draconian than most here would be comfortable with.

Also, unfortunately, it might not be the best idea for the rest of the economy. People make a living building roads and walls and things like that. Suddenly the government steps in and takes all they jobs away by flooding the market with workers who will do their job for slave wages. Those construction workers would be OK, they'd be able to join the slaves who took their jobs away.

Would you guys be comfortable with the government replacing the private sector working class man?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayson
I wouldn't have thought that people here would support the US shipping their undesirables to government sponsored work camps on the borders.

It seems a little more draconian than most here would be comfortable with.

Also, unfortunately, it might not be the best idea for the rest of the economy. People make a living building roads and walls and things like that. Suddenly the government steps in and takes all they jobs away by flooding the market with workers who will do their job for slave wages. Those construction workers would be OK, they'd be able to join the slaves who took their jobs away.

Would you guys be comfortable with the government replacing the private sector working class man?

I think what you're seeing here is something more akin to Communism, which is not what the original New Deal was at all.

What is being suggested is that everyone who wants a job could get one in these massive public works. Employment would be voluntary of course, and it would be devoted to these programs specifically that otherwise would not be built.

Since the housing market was much of the impetus for our current situation, there are a lot of out-of-work construction workers currently and this could completely remedy that situation.

These New-New Deal workers would not be in competition with existing and employed construction workers because as I said they would be devoted to these projects that otherwise would not be built.

I really do not think anyone here is advocating some kind of mandatory Gulag work-camp for the unemployed.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

You're right. I honestly don't know why I posted what I did. I re-read the thread and have no idea where that came from.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayson

No! This is not a communist type work camp, nor is it for any undesirables. It is an alternative for those that truly desire a job to provide for their families until something better comes along.

This would help the country get back on its feet, provide an opportunity to work, and get repairs done on the much needed infrastructure. I see it as only a step to help the private sector as there are many things that would require more skilled help to complete.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

[edit on 17-8-2010 by reluctantpawn]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I agree. I thought that when Obama in the State of the Union talked about infrastructure, he meant truly rebuilding, not the pave over/patch programs I've seen in Illinois.

I propose truly tearing down and rebuilding the entire Eisenhower Expressway System using up-to-date techniques and materials.

I propose tearing down and completely rebuilding the power grid using new technologies (instead of vacuum tubes) and materials. You can't have energy-independence for a new century with a 100 year-old supply system.

The problem I forsee in any sort of CCC/WPA programs is that the unions are deeply entrenched in the government agencies that carry out this kind of work now (ex. IDOT). I don't see them allowing the flood of workers that would be needed to build such projects to come in to labor for a fair (all be it less than current unionized employees) wage. It would dilute their workers overall pay/benefits and decrease their power monopoly over labor.

The only way I see them allowing it is that all the workers would be required to join the union, pay dues and get paid at the same level as now. I think that would defeat the purpose of the program and make it entirely too costly to take on.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by indianajoe77

You make as very strong point on the unionization of the government. And while I am not completely anti-union I believe they have had a hand in the destruction of our economy.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by indianajoe77

I would be all for this to a point. I drove a lot when I was living in the United States, I took a lot of long roadtrips to see as much of the country as I could. One thing that truly stuck out to me was the state of the Interstate system in some areas.

Not even counting the German Autobahns, many of the major highways in the United States are far below the level you would see in much of Europe. Rebuilding them to modern standards would create a huge number of jobs and could allow you to drive much more comfortably and faster.

I've always thought it was a tragedy, with such beautiful places to drive through, that the roads keep drivers from enjoying them fully.

top topics

join