It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacific Ocean green along California shores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Pacific Ocean green along California shores

www.datelinezero.com

While dead fish have been washing up on shore on the Atlantic side of the U.S. (dead fish, I have to add, that sea gulls and rodents apparently aren’t interested in eating); the waters have been turning green on the Pacific side.

And that’s not all that’s been happening along the California coast. A quote from one frequent visitor to the California beaches, surfing since the late 70s: “Strange days in California coastal waters.” He had never seen it this weird.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.signonsandiego.com

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So what the hell is happening along the shores? I supposed the story with the fish might be explained away with oxygen depletion.

Although that doesn't explain why the other animals are tending to not eat the carcases. But still ... whatever.

But now what's up with the Pacific Ocean? Oxygen, too? Although they are saying that shouldn't be the case, b/c the waters are actually cooler than normal along California.

Freaking weird.

www.datelinezero.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

Nothing new. The waters off Ocean Beach in San Francisco and down to Santa Cruz have always been a deep green with a hint of blue. I tell you it's a lot better than the brown water of San Francisco Bay.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
reply to post by mother1138

Nothing new. The waters off Ocean Beach in San Francisco and down to Santa Cruz have always been a deep green with a hint of blue. I tell you it's a lot better than the brown water of San Francisco Bay.

Ewwwww ...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There have been reports of mass deaths of fish in waters all over the world. None of them attached to an abundance of algae as far as I have seen. It is also interesting how tar balls were seen on SoCal beaches! Is this common on the west coast?

Sounds to me like this is a normal occurrence just on a grander scale.

I hope this doesn't turn into a GOM thread.......

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Seriously... you call this normal or green waters with a hint of blue?? I don't buy it. I love nature pics. I have taken many shots of the oceans over the years and I have seen all types of water. I have never seen anything like this.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Whats the mystery?

We've been dumping all sorts of toxic and chemical waste not to mention our own waste into the oceans for decades upon decades.

Who knows what sort of waste and chemicals ships at sea dump into the water.

We treat the oceans, and the planet in fact, like a giant toilet. We forget we have to live in it though till things like ocean water starts turning green or brown, or millions of fish wash up dead on beaches.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Seriously... you call this normal or green waters with a hint of blue?? I don't buy it. I love nature pics. I have taken many shots of the oceans over the years and I have seen all types of water. I have never seen anything like this.

So it's a bunch of algae washing ashore. The only people freak out is because of their conditioning toward brighter green colors. Nuclear waste, toxic sludge!

Every year further up the coast we have Red Tides and those are completely disgusting! So much so in fact the people avoid the beaches like the plague because of the rancid odor that come with it. The article even stated that the blooms while infrequent are not uncommon.

And as for the surfer guy that's been around since the '70s, of course a newspaper is going to use a quote given to them in that nature. That what papers do, sensationalism at it's finest.

I'll worry when the beaches are completely blanketed with nary a soul on or about the beach, other than that I chalk it up to a slow news day in San Diego.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Yes, Its common I think from Valdez or how ever you spell it.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
So it's a bunch of algae washing ashore. The only people freak out is because of their conditioning toward brighter green colors. Nuclear waste, toxic sludge!

Actually, abnormal presence of algae can indicate a lot of bad things. Depending on the species. Either way, they're usually not a good sign. But I can't say anything more as I don't even know if those are algae let alone what species and possible cause of them washing up may be.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Hey this should be great news for all these San Diego companies: SAIC, General Atomics, and Sapphire Energy. All with recent huge contracts from the DoD to turn algae into bio jet fuel, this should allow them easy access to research and algae harvesting. What great luck!

General Atomics, SAIC to explore algae fuel for less

Two San Diego-based defense contractors have received federal grants totaling nearly $35 million to drive down the cost of making jet fuel from algae.

General Atomics and SAIC received the contracts from the Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA. It is the military's research and development funding arm and is seeking biofuel alternatives for military aircraft, which make up a significant percentage of the $6 billion the military spends on fuel annually.

source

DOE Awards $9M to Sapphire Energy and General Atomics for Algae Biotech Center

San Diego’s quest to become a hub for the development of algae-based biofuels got a boost today, with the San Diego Center for Algae Biotechnology (SD-CAB), saying it’s getting the lion’s share of a three-year, $9 million federal Department of Energy grant awarded today.

In addition to the $9 million in federal funds, a consortium of seven companies—including San Diego-based Sapphire Energy, General Atomics, and Sempra Energy—are providing $3 million to finance R&D slated to begin this summer. Funding for the consortium has been structured in a way that is similar to the National Alliance for Advanced Biofuels and Bioproducts (NAABB), which I profiled in May when Jose Olivares, the group’s executive director, came through San Diego. The San Diego-based consortium had also sought funding under the DOE program, and the funding announced today was in some respects a political consolation prize for the San Diego contingent.

source

I'll bet the Monsanto and BP executives who recently joined Sapphire Energy, and Bill Gates who invested in Sapphire Energy, sure are glad they made such a wise decision. The SoCal weather, and beaches, the resources literally floating to them with every tide...what luck!

I mean, with SAIC handling BP's IT since 2002, and SAIC studying what would happen in the GoM if a major spill were to occur in the Loop Current in 2009, I just hope no conspiracy theorists find the coincidences and convenient advantageous circumstances in favor of companies like SAIC and big progressive governments pushing for biofuel to be overwhelming.

After all, with "geniuses" like Obama's Science Czar Holdren ensuring us all that geoengineering such as ocean fertilization is a great idea...what could go wrong?

/sarcasm

[edit on 16-8-2010 by JauntyFlannigan]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
It is also interesting how tar balls were seen on SoCal beaches! Is this common on the west coast?

Ya, how are tar balls getting there ???

Doesn't that Corexit turn the oil into little globs? are there other oil leaks that we don't know about?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Its algea! I live in the Pacific Northwest and our shores are littered with it. Its not harmful in any way. I guess that a cold current has come down from the north and is hitting the southern Caly beaches. For what reasons a cold current going that far south...... Beats the heck outta me!

new topics

top topics

join