Originally posted by NJE03
A Google search reveals that this is a fairly widely discussed notion. The following is an excerpt from one such article:
A staff member who develops shocking headaches after a day in the classroom may be a cliche. But this is what happened to Michael Bevington, a
classics teacher at top independent school Stowe, in Buckinghamshire, after wi-fi was installed in his classroom.
[edit on 8/16/2010 by NJE03]
Comments from the site:
I think it's a load of scaremongering with uncertainties and coincidences. Denmark has completed the largest survey of mobile phones and cancer rates
over 20 years with tens of thousands of people. And the findings - no significant measurable difference. Wi-fi uses much less powerful signals than
mobile phones. Do the maths people.
Scott Andrews, Colwyn Bay, UK
I used to get intense headaches at work all the time. I attributed it to mobile phones at first, and had I heard of this scare I would have also
suggested wi-fi. It turned out it was due to drinking any diet/light drink with sweetener!
Sam Hatoum, London
Whilst working in a school last year, I had similar symptoms to Michael Bevington but on a much larger scale. After months in observation in hospital
and numerous tests, my symptoms were explained to be a serious muscular convergence insufficiency of the eyes and a diplopia. Apparently many people
who suffer from migraines, or regular and severe headaches, may have these conditions but as opticians and doctors do not normally test for these
conditions, most of the public are unaware of them. The pain of such headaches can increase if not dealt with and can be serious to the point that at
times the patient nears unconsciousness. These headaches which arise from the conditions named above are often blamed on fluorescent lights and
David Pattle, London, UK
I'm currently sitting in a university library peppered with wi-fi transmitters. The university has some 17,000 students all of whom use the library
at some point or another. I have yet to see or hear of anyone complaining of headaches when using the building.
Charles Levine, Glasgow, Scotland
If this was scaremongering and coincidences then why did all the major mobile phone distributors bring out a radiation protector to slot into the ear
piece, obviously there is some sort of danger, put no one can prove just how much.
Damien McCourt, Belfast
Ten or 12 years ago people claimed to be suffering similar symptoms, the culprit then was the ozone emissions from laser printers. Nearly 30 years ago
the major Bank I worked for was prepared to provide lead aprons(!) for their male employees concerned at being exposed to these new fangled computers.
There appears to be a tipping point and when "new" technology becomes commonplace such health concerns seem to evaporate.
Anne Robins, Guildford, UK