It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard University fund sells all Israel holdings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Harvard University fund sells all Israel holdings

www.globes.co.il

In another blow to Israeli shares, the Harvard Management Company notified the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Friday that it had sold all its holdings in Israeli companies during the second quarter of 2010. No reason for the sale was mentioned. The Harvard Management Company manages Harvard University's endowment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is a big deal. Harvard is a massive institutional investor. It is also one of the bell-weather investors in the institutional investment arena. Other institutions follow Harvard's lead on any number of areas.

This would be a defacto analogy to the treatment of South Africa, whereby institutional investors boycotted SA firms, helping drive the end of the nightmare of aparthied.

This will not create a precedent whereby not only is it seen as acceptable to divest in Israel firms, but that perhaps it is the right thing to do.

If you see firms like Fidelity take a similiar investment posture, the Israeli economy will tank in short order.

www.globes.co.il
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The question here is WHY did they sell ...

Harvard is NOT full of "activist" investors - if there's money to be made, they're there to make it.

Harvard IS full of many very well connected people. If a country was about to go to war, and you knew that, you wouldn't want to be heavily invested in it.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by area6

Because they can see beyond the horizon to the impending doom.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I haven't done much research about Harvard but I know there is a growing movement of intellectuals and universities who are boycotting Israel in more ways then one.

And I recommend everyone does.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
they are selling becuse they know something you don't.

They are paying attention to the messages being sent through the media. Isreal is gearing toward an Iran attack and there is a good chance of economic disruptions in that region .

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

simple
they are anti semetic,

thats it those anti semetics

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by area6

perhaps but there was plenty of cash to make in South Africa, particularily in the mining sector when western institutional investors began divesting.

There is a huge difference between now and the SA boycott and that is the level of investment that the average person has in the equity markets via mutual funds and the ability to screen fund holdings via a host of parameters to ensure that specific holdings are not held. Should you begin to see Israel screened funds pop up, look out because billions will flow out of that economy in short order

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Apparently they know something the rest of us don't. I doubt it is political as Harvard will always take the money over politics.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
"Harvard, Princeton, Yale, bullets, bombs, and banks" - Gerald Celente
second line.

PS
hey remember when the new supreme court gal wouldn't let the army recruiters on the campus when she was dean?
edit to add "jewish dean"
[edit on 16-8-2010 by Danbones]

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by area6

This was my first thought as well. Havard has been able to boycott Israel for years. They've done far worse than the "flotila" raid. It makes no sense to just say "Oh that's enough now". It's more likely war is looming and they want to cut their losses.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
War.

They already know the outcome of it.
We're the only actors without the full script.

They aren't protesting as much as protecting.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Max Kieser is just saying on Jones that Israel and the sheckel are about to crash most likely Israel will attack Iran and be left out all on its own like south Vietnam was....

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Its simple. They know Israel is going to attack Iran (most likely in the next week) How do I know that? because Russia is going to install the nuclear fuel into the reactors by next week in Bushehr. Israel cannot wait till after then because if they do attack the plant AFTER the nuclear material is in there,just imagine the environmental impacts it would have for the entire region. Bushehr is RIGHT ON THE COAST of the Persian Gulf. Hopefully Israel does the right thing and DOESN'T break international law since it it legal for any country to make nuclear power plants for peaceful purposes, but then again Israel doesn't give a ***** what anyone thinks.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Russia will have fuel there by Aug 21st

News that Russia will load nuclear fuel rods into an Iranian reactor has touched off a countdown to a point of no return, a deadline by which Israel would have to launch an attack on Iran's Bushehr reactor before it becomes effectively "immune" to any assault, says former Bush administration U.N. Ambassador John R. Bolton.Once the fuel rods are loaded, Bolton told Fox News on Friday afternoon, "it makes it essentially immune from attack by Israel. Because once the rods are in the reactor an attack on the reactor risks spreading radiation in the air, and perhaps into the water of the Persian Gulf." But hey, relax. No problem. Russian leaders have said the Bushehr reactor project is being closely monitored by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the UN's nuclear watchdog group. According to Iran's ISNA news agency, IAEA inspectors will be on hand to observe the fuel-rod loading process that is now scheduled to begin Aug. 21. According to Russian officials, Iran has promised in writing to send all spent fuel rods from Bushehr back to Russia for reprocessing, to ensure they cannot be used for nuclear weapons.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man
simple
they are anti semetic,

thats it those anti semetic

Not wanting to choke on the pretty strawman you have going going on here but, Ill need a bit mroe than that. How exactly is it anti semetic? I realize you want to draw it as a gun, hoping that the very mention will end all discussion on this matter but thats not how it works. How exactly is it "anti semitic"?

If the investors running the fund feel that doing business with Isreal is a risk because of its governmental policies and practices then its a risk they may be unwilling to take and want thier money in a safer investment vehicle. aka a business descison

If they have pulled thier funds because fo the numerous human rights violations in Gaza, or because of Mossad assasinations outside of isreal, then its on a similar vein to NOT doing business with say Apartied South Africa. aka a moral / ethical choice

If they pulled thier funds because Isreal is "run by Jews", then I would agree its blatantly anti semitic" and I will fight that as I would any discimination. However, I have not seen anything that points to this nor did you provide any rational, proof etc, in your thought provoking reply. Aside from that nice strawman however

"It is not anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the state of Israel"

-Colin Powell

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I think he was being sarcastic.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

Are you related to this woman in the video above? If not I can see a striking resemblance.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

as mentioned it was sarcastic
normaly with these kind of Boycotts and so on
the Israeli crowd would run in and use the anti semetic bomb on the crowd

reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

no sadly why?

[edit on 16-8-2010 by illusive man]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

Sorry I didn't know you were being sarcastic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join