It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't Understand Why Some People Think This Way:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I remember in world history class last year, half the damn class was on the side of the Muslim Terrorists durign a debate. Apparently, these people just want to be left alone, and they are good people?

Now maybe this was just a localized thing, but I do not understand how Muslims and or terrorists sympathizers can say the things they say.

HEres how it really is:

Islamic Extremists (YES THEY ARE MUSLIM, DEAL WITH IT, IF YOU CANT CALL THEM WHAT THEY ARE DONT EVEN RESPOND) have killed thousands upon thousands, by beheadings, torture, bombings, gunfights etc.

Now I understand that the Military and World Governments have killed their fair share... In fact I am completely against them too. But this isnt about them.

Islamic Extremists abuse their women HORRIBLY.

Islamic Extremists have been the cause of 70% of world conflicts directly or indirectly.

Bosnia, Yugoslavia, Iraq, Iran, partly in Israel/Palistine.

I am not even going to get started on 9/11... thats one thing the terrorists DIDNT DO.

The fact about how sensitive the world is to the ISLAMIC extremists fascinates me. ITs mostly the government, most of the citizens could care less except for the liberal ones.

The point is call them what they are and call them out for what they do.

They are Muslim Murderers, Extremists, Killers.

(In no way am I saying anythign about the majority of Islam, I understand that most are peaceful, and that there are soem christian extremists but they do nothing of the sort... I sympathize for Peaceful Islam because of the # they go through over there.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mooradian

Islamic Extremists have been the cause of 70% of world conflicts directly or indirectly.

If you're goona throw around this much fodder, at least supply a link to back it up.

And any Extremist, not just Islam, should be regarded as a waste of a human being...

Great OP...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I am not sure what you smoked that day before class, but I call you out on your presumptions.

What person would support abuse of women? What person would support beheading and wanton killing? I don't believe your class actually does.

Some people on the other hand do understand that there are all sorts of reasons why a person might join a terrorist group. They are not all the same. No one supports the actions attributed to some terrorists any more than they support "collateral damage" by the American side. Maybe that is the argument.

There are in fact many understandable reasons why one might join a terrorist group. That is not the same as condoning everything that is done once there.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Well then, the major western problem of woman abuse seems to have been solved over night.

People are people my friend. The best you can do is not do those actions yourself.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

You seem to be confusing "Muslim" with "terrorist". Not all Muslims are terrorists and not all terrorists are Muslim.

Islamic Extremists (YES THEY ARE MUSLIM, DEAL WITH IT, IF YOU CANT CALL THEM WHAT THEY ARE DONT EVEN RESPOND) have killed thousands upon thousands, by beheadings, torture, bombings, gunfights etc.

Sure and they should get what's coming to them, however we have killed and tortured far more people, innocent people at that, than they could ever imagine. Remember, it is us who is over there, not the other way around.

Even if you believe that Islamic extremism is responsible for 9/11, it was us who was over there first. It is western governments who ship weapons money and soldiers to their lands and these things wind up oppressing them. It is western governments backing brutal dictators who abuse their own people, such as the case with the Shah in Iran.

Furthermore, many Muslims don't like Americans for our blind support of Israel and their genocide against the Palestinians. It is America who is supplying and allowing Israel to do what they are doing. It is the ignorance of the people who allow their government to do it.

Islamic Extremists abuse their women HORRIBLY.

That is your perception. I'm not going to deny that women are abused over there, but where are they not abused? Many, if not most, women agree with their customs and religion. In fact, western customs and the Christian and Judea religions have their own staples against women. Take for instance the hijab. While you might find this offensive, they don't. Are American women oppressed because they have to wear shirts in public?

For the Muslims that do abuse women (stoning, beating, killing, etc..), you can't distribute blame across the entire religion. That's as stupid and silly as blaming all Christians for child sexual molestation. In fact, just as many Christians abuse women physically, mentally and sexually. You could even venture to say that Christians and westerners are far more prone to sexually exploit children.

The moral of the story here, is just because a custom may be different than your own, doesn't mean that it is wrong. Who are you to impose your will on others?

Women are abused everywhere and it isn't indicative of Islam only. To talk down on Islam for the abuse of women, is ignorant. Is it not in the Christian bible that you shouldn't pick splinters out of the eyes of your neighbors when you have a plank in your own?

Any sources for this? I think that is wholly inaccurate. Many of these "conflicts", I'm sure can be traced back to the western world. It is us who arm and instigate these conflicts and it is often the US who is backing brutal dictators such as the case in Saudi Arabia and the former Shah of Iran. We do it in Latin America as well.

The point here, is that it is ignorant to focus on Islamic extremism without knowing the conditions that cause that extremism. Furthermore, to talk down on Islamic extremism, while ignoring our own extremism is ignorant and hypocritical, at best.

We are no angels either and in fact, it is more safe to assume that our own extremism is far worse. I'm not saying that Islamic extremism isn't bad, only that we shouldn't ignore the deciding factors. Who are we to call out the atrocities committed by others, when our own atrocities are far worse?

I happen to think that Islamic extremism is horrendous, though I think our own policies are more so and this Islamic extremism is because of our own brutal policies. We can't complain about that which we create.

For instance, if I constantly bully my neighbor, stealing from him, beating his wife, raping his children and preventing his family from eating, I really have no ground to stand on if I complain when he murders my entire family.

--airspoon

p.s. please excuse my haste in this reply. I had to pump it out quick, as I'm late for a dinner party.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

That's a refreshing viewpoint on this debate - being antagonistic against Muslim extremism (rightfully so) yet believing they were NOT responsible for 9/11. I must agree, though I think on the larger issue we see things quite differently.

There's a big difference between sympathizing with someone, and justifying their actions. I sympathize with basically everyone in prison, regardless of their crimes - because I personally believe that, given different life circumstances, they would have never committed those crimes.

I feel the exact same way about terrorists. Neither you nor I nor 99% of people in the western world can imagine what it's like to grow up in the ME. Forget Islam, that's just a religion. All religions teach absurd practices, but thankfully our human instincts override stupid teachings. We're naturally good people despite religion, not because of it.

But in the ME, the squalid living conditions quite easily override these natural human virtues of being excellent to each other. (How often can you throw in a Bill and Ted's quote in a social commentary about Islam? Baaam!) It's actually because they are naturally empathetic people, that they become extremists. It seems ironic at first but, one's capacity for hate equals one's capacity for love. They have a LOT of hate.

I would bet all of my belongings and entire life's worth on the argument that, if the living conditions of the ME were to improve to those of Europe, as well as instituting basic education for all children, there would be no more extremist Muslims coming from there, and also there would be a steady improvement in human/women rights.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Maybe people seem to be jumping to the defense of Islam because Islam is NOT the cause of the violence. It is the extremists that are the terrorists. Not the true faithful.

The USA has produced the largest number of serial killers of any nation. Do you refer to them as Christian extremists? I think not. Do you call the "Son of Sam" killer Berkowitz a Jewish extremist murderer?

A killer is a killer no matter what faith or religion they follow.

Do you refer to mob (mafia) killings as Roman Catholic extremists when they may have killed a rival?

It's all too ridiculous to blame a person's faith and/or religion for their own personal actions.

Would you consider me an agnostic extremist if I killed your neighbor? NO.
Terrorism is conducted by terrorists. Murder is committed by murderers.

Quite simple.

[edit on 15/8/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Well I think he is referring to those who deny evidence even
when a woman from Syria comes forward and tells what
it is like to live under Sharia.

When other ppl speak of Dhimmitude.

en.wikipedia.org...

There are some who are basically brainwashed into thinking it
is just a few bad eggs and nothing bad is in the Quran.

Don't get me wrong, most other religions got a WHOLE lot of
blood on their hands too.

Religion is an Apex predator on this planet.

There is so much lying going on from so many vectors that it is
hard to know what the truth is, so by default most ppl have
an over active BS detector.

And who can blame them.

But after watching several videos of Wafa arguing with Islamic
scholars on Al jazzera I will take her at her word and I think she
is for real.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

"Religion is an Apex predator on this planet. "

I couldnt agree more. and it seems as if it is only getting stronger.

as for 'thinking' that way, i think the OP got it all wrong. there are extremeists everywhere and they are not all muslim.

top topics

join