It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 2 cents on the Ground zero Mosque yea or nay and why ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I say nay. I do not believe that we should try to control where people build their places of worship, but this is somewhat of a special situation, which will only add to tensions.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I vote yes.

My reasons.. First, it is not on ground zero... It is near it ( 5 blocks away from ground zero... I believe) but it is NOT on ground zero.

Second, it is an Islamic community center....

People who think it is being built on hallowed ground.. It is not. As I said, it is not on ground zero.. Hell, the building they are using, used to be a burlington coat factory for god sake.... Yeah, they have some great deals, but not good enough to call it hallowed ground.

Third, Who cares? This is the United States. Here in this country we have the right to practice any religion we please. With all due respect, holding the actions of a few Muslims, against the whole of the Islamic world, is just plain wrong!

Why is it wrong to hold a grudge against a whole people because of the actions of a few? Look up discrimination.

Now, to those who say they should just build it somewhere else.... Have you watched the news lately? There have been similar issues across the country! People protesting the building of a mosque in their own neck of the woods....

It comes across as not having to do with 9/11 or ground zero or anything like that... It comes across as being afraid of people. Refusing to try and understand a whole people. Refusing to be open minded.

Ladies and gentleman. I know many people who are Muslim and they are great people! Don't hate something just because you may not know about it.

It is 2010, time to let go of the fear, hate, and abuse of our fellow man. Ever heard of turning the other cheek? Being the bigger man? Taking the high road? Why not try it? Why not try extending a hand in peace, rather than raising a fist in anger?

Why not?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Benevolent Heretic is correct here.
People can't hide behind the excuse of ''it'll cause problems'', because that is a self-perpetuating scenario.

New York City has an estimated Muslim population of half a million, so why on earth shouldn't they have a new mosque in the centre of NYC ?

The city that I live in in Britain has a number of Anglican churches, a RC cathedral, a central Mosque, Hindu temple and two Sikh Gurdwaras within 15 minutes walk of the city centre.

There are no religious tensions that I know of in the city that I live in.

Everyone just does their thing, and if that includes religious or spiritual worship, then that's cool.

Why can't people just keep their noses out of other peoples' personal beliefs/disbeliefs ?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Any intelligent person would know that this is an incendiary gesture by the mobsters who run this place. Their hope is that those people who are monotheistic will war between themselves, killing one another and creating chaos. Our leader is a godless blaggard without conviction. He certainly holds us all in contempt and would like nothing better than to have us all submit to the jackboot. It's coming and it can't be stopped.
This man is an affront to all things true and decent. He was voted into office by people who knew that he supported partial-birth abortions. Now God's judgment is on us all. Standby to reap the whirlwind.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Why not?

See my previous post in this thread, and then really think about it.

Why not?

Because we do not live in a tolerant Utopian society, despite those who have and propagate this fantasy.

This will not be a pleasant thing for anyone involved, and it will only make things worse, further dividing peoples and raising tensions.

It will get ugly, so I suppose some of you who are supporting this, really want to see something bad happen.

Much like those who secretly want to see a crash when attending auto racing events.

Why not?

Indeed.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I believe if the Mosque is denied to be built threw governmental actions we as a nation will be setting a dangerous president .

For a government to tell a religion it cant be built here with out zoning regulations to prohibit it is taking a little bit of your rights away . We deny this house of worship and community center because of a handful out of 1.5 billion.
What is next Catholics are denied because of bad priests . Baptists because of Jimmy Jones and the Seven day Adventist because of David Koresh .

When the government steps in and says what is a tolerated religion when do they stop . When ever the government is allowed to do something they run with it and there is no stopping it then . Who is in power will determine what the state tolerated RELIGION IS .

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

Your 2 cents on the Ground zero Mosque yea or nay and why ?

My .02: yea OR nay. Doesn't matter.

The whole purpose of this non-issue is to enhance the diversion of the mindless masses away from the real issues that threaten our country. And issues that threaten our very existence.

With this kind of media circus mind-control, continually providing tripe for the water cooler conversations of the herds, there will never be serious discussions nor investigations over the core issue of the so-called mosque controversy. That being the attacks of 9/11/2001 and exactly who perpetrated them and how. Nor will any of the other matters that led us into perpetual war from 10/2001 thereafter until now... have more than a 5 year old's attention span given to them.

Get a grip, find out about things that matter. Please.

edit spelling

[edit on 15-8-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Because we do not live in a tolerant Utopian society, despite those who have and propagate this fantasy.

This will not be a pleasant thing for anyone involved, and it will only make things worse, further dividing peoples and raising tensions.

It will get ugly...

I have to disagree. NYer's are the thickest skinned people on the face of the planet. They have to be. They live with millions of other thick skinned people. I really haven't heard any NYers that are having a problem with this. Only 1 actually. The ones that are having a problem with it are people not of NY and the media BS is effecting them

My opinion? Same as 1SawSomeThings. This is a non-issue. Why devote time to it. I vote, "eh."

Edit to add: 1SawSomeThings name. He's right.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I have to disagree. NYer's are the thickest skinned people on the face of the planet. They have to be.

No doubt, but this isn't entirely a NYC issue anymore.

There are people and hate groups there and elsewhere who will see this as their calling in life, and some generally crazy individuals full of hate.

Why give them this focal point?

If this goes ahead as planned, I hope all of you who support this, and believe that it will not be a problem are right.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

No doubt, but this isn't entirely a NYC issue anymore.

Who's to blame for that?

There are people and hate groups there and elsewhere who will see this as their calling in life, and some generally crazy individuals full of hate.

Yup, and who's fault is that for feeding their deviance? The answer to both is the MSM. They should be held culpable for anything that may transpire but they'll just keep making prophets, er, I mean, profits and then hide behind the 1st Amendment. No matter the people that suffer because of their actions.

Who made it a focal point, again? NYer's DON'T CARE. It's their damn town. A city so nice they named it twice. If I were a NYer I'd be pissed at how I was being represented to the rest of the country.

If this goes ahead as planned, I hope all of you who support this, and believe that it will not be a problem are right.

I have faith in my American brethren.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I can't even spend 2 cents on this issue because like BH... I'ts none of my business.

Anyone that legally buys property and wants to build a legal entity as deemed by planning, zoning, construction, and purpose should be allowed to persue their goal even if a few thin skinned, outsiders with ideological axes to grind, find it objectionable.

I find it astonishing that conservatives that tout individual freedom and the constitution want to prevent a mosque being built 3 blocks away from the WTC site.

Talk about letting your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

Mind your own business and allow others to mind theirs.
This is just a transparent issue building ploy to try and shore up the GOP base, when in actuality it makes them look small and silly. imo.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Abstain.

Let the community these people live and work in decide.

I'm also more with these two mothers of differing opinions who both lost a child on 9/11.

Welty jumped in. “Don’t,” she said, her latent anger roaring to the surface. “Don’t go down to Ground Zero and make speeches. Don’t use family members as a backdrop for photographs. You ought to be ashamed of yourself, using people who are grieving for your own political advantage.”

“Amen, sister,” said Regenhard, clapping her hands above her head.

War Over Ground Zero

This is not a political football.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I have faith in my American brethren.

Never underestimate hate, no matter how it is motivated, or misplaced.

Your American brethren also contain radicals, extremists, fundamentalists etc. no more or less dangerous than Islamic "brethren".

Again I hope you are right.

Tough gamble, even tougher bet.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Im sure it will become a target.

But wouldn't giving into it justify domestic terrorism?

Just sayin'....

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Tough gamble, even tougher bet.

Good luck!

I've been to the States many times, including NY state. Some of the finest people you will meet. I'll make that bet. Guess what. The MSM is going to give it up when nothing happens. They can't make any money in a non-issue. Weeeeeellllllllllllllllllllll, they're making a lot off of one now. They'll just whisk it under the carpet later. "We said what? Are you sure?"

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Are you suggesting that the Constitutionally-protected rights of certain religions should not be exercised in order to appease the crazed and hate-filled individuals in this country?

Tell me that's not what you're saying.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Tell me that's not what you're saying.

I'm not saying that, is that what you wanted?

I am saying that there must be consideration given to any potential threats to public safety.

Apparently that point isn't getting through here, so it seems rather pointless now.

The fact that this has national and even international implications at this point should raise several red flags... especially amongst ATS members.

This whole plan stinks, and to me it appears to be a set up.

By all means build the damned thing, without any regard for potential problems, but also when or if something bad comes of this, don't come back here bitching about it after the fact.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It's a problem because people are making it a problem.

Many INNOCENT MUSLIMS WERE KILLED in the 9/11 attacks on the twin towers ALONG WITH CHRISTIANS and others who follow other BELIEFS.

Some of you are walking a fine line....especially those who are always first in line to bring up the Constitution but then don't agree with the Mosque being built.

Bin Laden would be proud of many of you.....this is exactly what religious extremists love....more fuel for their cause....

Too many of you can't see the forest for the trees.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by David9176]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Bin Laden would be proud of many of you.....this is exactly what religious extremists love....more fuel for their cause....

And which side does it fuel? Both? Epic win for the PTB. We're blind again to the real issues.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

First, I am not a muslim, but that shouldn't matter. Muslims also died on 9/11 and I don't mean the 19 labeled hijackers either. This shouldn't even be an issue. As long as the zoning regulations and all other laws/statutes/codes are followed, why shouldn't the mosque be allowed? A few extremists make up the world terrorists. What, 10,000? 20,000 total in the world out of millions in the world? What if the terrorists were of a western religion, say catholics or protestants, would there be the outrage and pressure to stop those churches/areas of worship from being constructed? This country was founded on freedom of religion. It's pathetic that this conversation is even going on. Ignorance and stupidity are like assholes, everyone has one and they all smell!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join