It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 2 cents on the Ground zero Mosque yea or nay and why ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Your 2 cents on the Ground zero Mosque yea or nay and why ?

One view is this is a protected right for a church to build a place of worship with out governmental intervention . That is with in the zoning descriptions of the said lot . To ban one religion from building could easily bleed over to eventually to certain religions being state approved . So in the frame work of our government the Mosque should be able to be built .

The other hand the popular belief is that Islamic Extremist caused the death of 3000 people on 9/11 . Some believe this is being built there is more of a memorial to the suicide attack rather than a memorial to the death of the people . It will be used as a victory sign over America and not as a bridge for different cultures . Much like the old Christian church building their church over holy sites of conquered people in the past centuries .

From a legal stand point there should be no choosing of what church is built where .

From an emotional stand point this Mosque will be a hurtful reminder of the attack on the twin towers.

Do we deviate from the laws and rules set forth by our for fathers to strike down this Mosque .

Or do we allow it and live with the victory Mosque to be built near ground zero .

This is going to becoming a political foot ball .

Regardless of the meaning I find it hard to leave the legal framework that allows it .

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
i say nay.
it will offend some people.
a place of worship doesn't really have a place in a commercial zone.
whats wrong with building more skyscrapers?

[edit on 15-8-2010 by listerofsmeg]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

yea

Not our place to tell people where is in-appropriate to worship if its their land.

And there's already several mosques there as is. Some of them been there longer than the WTC.

if people have a problem they should fight back by building churches around it. I'd have no arguments.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
yay, and it's three blocks away...not that it matters. They have every right to build a mosque.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Good point .

But if there is no zoning restrictions for the commercial district against churches how can we legally stop it ?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
mosques and chyrches should only be built if other churches and mosques near by have capacity problems. i haven't heared of any so far.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I say nay.

Nothing should ever be built there again,unless a memorial garden,where relatives of the dead can remember their lost loved ones.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
As its three blocks away I say yes.

A much better idea would simply be to build a memorial place for all faiths to come and offer prayers. It would communicate a very positive message that would defuse a lot of the religious tension we have now.

Such a facility/garden/place would need to be accommodating for all major faiths and religions. Furthermore, the message should be that we are all one people and that everyone lost with the destruction of the WTC.

It might sound a bit corny but it would be the right message to send. And you could work on the formulation.

The only problem I find is that the proximity of members of various faiths might clash considering what happened. It would depend how this project would be done. Though I believe it would be done right.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
I say nay.

Nothing should ever be built there again,unless a memorial garden,where relatives of the dead can remember their lost loved ones.

Agreed.
I too, say NAY!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I say freedom of religion is prevalent, it should be built.

For those who are clueless and lack the capacity to search about an issue and just spit out what they heard on the TV :

There has been a mosque in that neighbourhood for a long time: www.masjidmanhattan.com...

The existing mosque and the proposed mosque are probably 800 feet apart; one city block, let’s say. I would be far more worried to let the churches operate in the neighbourhood where there are schools, they are full of paedophiles!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
IF it gets built now after all of this bad press it would only stand as a target for anger and hate, a focal point for violence and vandalism.

Regardless of right or wrong, it is literally an issue of public safety and on that premise alone should not be allowed to go forward.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Let them build it. It might benefit the surrounding community. I did feel differently. A number of threads about hate and racism and how the Muslims are taking over, made me change my mind. I've been guilty of feelings of racism to Muslims. I don't like negative feelings. I've decided to be more charitable towards people of other races, to give people the benefit of the doubt. Yes, build it.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In some towns and cities walmart and other business were blocked
from building because the property owners attend a meeting and
if they do not want the business or building there it is blocked.

Happens a fair bit near where I live for much less heated reasons.

As for my opinion, I think all religion has a lot of blood its hands.

Most of the ppl believe in it though, so we are stuck with it for
quite awhile longer most likely.

We are a democratic republic and with that in mind let the ppl
in that district vote on it, by the ppl for the ppl ??? or not ???

I am willing to bet like many things that have come to pass
what the ppl want will tossed on the trash heap of history.

They are trying to incite rebellion and riot so they can crack down.

That is my two cents on it.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Clearly ''yea''.

It is a place for people of the Muslim faith to worship in central New York.

People should have religious freedom, and be able to build churches, mosques and temples wherever they wish ( provided it gets the all clear from the local council and planners ).

What can logically be the problem with this ?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Yea

I throw my hat is the Yea ring, and since you asked for my explanation.

I believe that all religions have the right to build their site of worship anywhere in this country, which is protected by the Constitution. But people also have the right to protest, boycott or whichever form of peaceful action they wish to pursue is perfectly acceptable, excluding a lawsuit.

But my reason for support extends beyond the purpose of the Mosque and beyond the Constitution, it is the view that we should not categorize, except in comedy. Bin Laden and his rag-tag group Al-Qaeda attacked America and murdered our people, which was an act of cowardice terrorism, and he was a member of the religion known as Islam and it was religiously motivated. But we must not enter into scapegoating an entire group of people for the actions of a few.

We are taking our hostilities against Islamic extremists out on every Muslim regardless of their person or background. It is scapegoating an entire religion and we should know better than that and especially be better than that. Throughout history we have seen horrifying atrocities occur from categorizing, attacking and/or scapegoating an entire ethnic group, religious group or both. If we cannot learn from history we are bound to repeat it, just this time it is beginning to shape up as a religious war.

While the elite see using propaganda and bigotry against Muslims as a great way to condone any future conflict with Islamic nations since there would be a lack of sympathy for those people. They may be interested in the oil but use racist propaganda on the common person to establish a psychological control where anything they do to those people are justified.

If we fall into this scapegoating, bigotry and hostility towards such a small minority group then we will fall down a slippery slope into a time that I would prefer not to mention. It not only could lead to horrible future acts but it also plays into the hands of the elite. Sure you could say I’m over exaggerating this into something more than it is, I would just like to say when national leaders scapegoat a small minority bad things are bound to happen.

Just remember Hitler.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

agreed- I say NO.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies .

I an sorry if some of us disagree . But I respect that position . Truthfully I myself have been torn over the issue .

My defense of it is strictly from a legal and constitutional point of view . The legal frame work we live under allows for it to built .

Freedom of religion and speech is a given all the time not when its convenient but when its hard as well.

I may not like which god you adhere to or what you have to say but will defend your right to worship and your right to say what you have to say .

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Why exactly are people against this ?

I'm talking logically here.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Regardless of right or wrong, it is literally an issue of public safety and on that premise alone should not be allowed to go forward.

That's a new one! "If they build it, people will commit crimes, so don't let them build it. It's for their own protection."

I say I don't care. Neither yea or nay. It's NONE of my business. BUT... They have the legal right. A constitutionally-protected right. To disallow it because someone is offended is ridiculous!

People are going to be offended every day. We can't go around making laws to make sure that people don't get offended!

[edit on 8/15/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join