It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody else looking forward to the coming chaos?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATLien
reply to post by shuck

Oh, so you've experienced the coming of a new age?...Do tell...

I have, in a manner of speaking. But first, let me preempt this with a quick background. I grew up the first half of my life in the poorest place in America, Pine Ridge Sioux Rez in South Dakota. The last 8 years I spent hopping the globe as one of "America's Finest". Some real nice destinations they send us to, the kind of places that make your "Bottom of the bottom" look like a day at the Ritz. Hell, PR Rez probably makes your bottom look like the lower class 'burbs, to be honest.

Moving on, the situation you are describing, using the chaos to rise to the top by force, is already happening; through out Africa, bits of SW Asia, and here and there in South America and Eastern Europe. Except, these particular warlords have the benefit of modern (to some extent) technology to establish trade routes to get those important manufactured things they need most, guns and ammunition. Now, even with a steady supply of these things, most of these warlords rarely make it past their early thirties. They get killed off by enemies, by power-hungry folks in their own organization looking to move up in the world, or by the problems associated with a general lack of good hygene and proper medical care. Having seen this first hand, I can say that there are very, very few from the "developed" world who would "flourish" in this new dawn you envision.

As someone who has seen combat, I can also attest that if you haven't been in the heat, you're not ready for it. I was highly trained mentally and physically, and I wasn't ready for it my first time. In that situation, if you don't have people next to you that are ready, that do know what they are doing, and that absolutly have your back no matter the cost, you won't make it. And you better believe that there will be people out there more ready than you.

I have no illusions that while I may be useful in that situation, maybe even more useful than many, I will still need a lot of skills to survive that I don't have. It takes more than an army to live. Anyone thinking they can live solely on force is going to look awfully silly starving to death inside their little compound. That's if your "friends" don't pat you on the back with something sharp first.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

Yes and how old are you?

Have you had a boring life thus far?

I'm 58 and ever since my mother died 48 years ago, my life has been like a mixture of True Lies, Oliver Twist and the Wizard of Oz.

No, I'm not looking forward to armageddon and mahem, I've had enough excitement for several lifetimes.

It would be nice if I could finish out the last 20 years of my life in a quiet backwoods cabin, gardening, reading, writing and watching the birds and squirrels fight over the seeds and nuts.

I'm tired of excitement, I'm ready for some peace and quiet.

Doesn't look like it's going to come anytime soon.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5396411dd9c0.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 25-8-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
There's one thing I've learned about major disasters, whether they be man-made, natural, or supernatural. They're never as chaotic as you'd expect. There are a surprising number of people who will either just go about their day as usual, or hole up in their homes and watch TV coverage. Even during the L.A. riots, most people were just home watching a few people out of control people on TV.

All in all, it's not much chaos.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
In the chaos my shackles will be broken and I will become a free man once more.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Segador]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
All things considered I would have to say no I am not.

I quite enjoy my life in it's current state, sure some things could be better, I'm not exactly rich, but I keep myself busy, have good friends and my day to day existence is fairly OK.

Seeing this replaced with a never ending battle to stay alive, the stench of the dead pervading the air, having to avoid megalomaniacs with private standing armies
I can't say that it would be a welcome change.

If you think this lifestyle would be so appealing then you can try a little taste of it right now, catch a flight into Mogadishu and take on some of the local warlords. Don't forget to keep us all updated on your progress here on the ATS it would probably make one of the best selling travel journals of all time

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join