It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IDF razes wall dividing Jewish and Arab areas east of Jerusalem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Finally some good news is pointing to change of attitude in the middle-east:

Work began east of Jerusalem Monday morning to remove one of the city's enduring symbols of the Israel-Palestinian conflict, a two-meter-high concrete barrier built to separate the Jewish neighborhood of Gilo from the Arab district of Beit Jalla. The army's home front command began the demolition at the request of Jerusalem's municipality, after security checks suggested that the wall, designed to protect Gilo residents from sniper fire, was no longer needed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.haaretz.com...

This is good sign for Isreal's security, the threat of snipers in that area is no longer and the wall is getting down. I hope this will be the beginning of a process that will spiral up. Peace is badly needed in that portion of the world, but we all know that too well already.

I am wondering if Pink Floyd will make a big show there soon?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
People will somehow turn this into an anti-Israeli topic somehow...

But on topic, yeah, it seems like a very good move, or at least, an act of good will.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Whyhi]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

There are no chances of this thread derailing into religious war, ATSers seems interested in scaremongering and bashing Islam recently... good news are not welcomed!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Intreresting comment:

While we have to admit that taking down this wall is a step in the right direction, its timing is extremely biased and one-sided: it should have been taken down much earlier, when the resistance fighters sent by the PA were still in Beit Jalla, aiming to eliminate some criminal settlers. This would have created some balance and would have advanced the cause of justice. Now, after crushing the forces of progress, and a criminal PA in place that actively prevents armed resistence, the only ones to benefit from the removal of the wall are the zionists!

Source: www.haaretz.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Some good news and i'm glad one wall has come down. Hopefully more will come down on the future, and checkpoints removed, and people allowed to see their families again.

Another interesting comment though from the same source:

It is on the top of a hill. It was only a wall INSIDE of the security barrier. It was never permanently in the ground. On the other side of it, down the hill, rests the real security barrier. Start removing this and then you have done something.

But at least it is a start!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I love journalists. Really, i do. They make me feel so smart! Gilo is South West of Jerusalem. It was part of what is called East Jerusalem (areas of/near Jerusalem occupied by Jordan after 1948) but to say that it is East of Jerusalem geographically is plain silly.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I read somewhere it was part of Bethlehem before they enlarged Jerusalem after the war of 1967...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gagol

Given that there is more then a mile to Beth Lechem from Gilo , that there is Beit Jalla (ancient Gilo) village in between and that there were no buildings before Gilo was built, it is highly unlikely.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

That somewhere was an uninformed comment apparently. Thanks for bringing it up.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by gagol]

top topics

join