It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This bill picks up where Bill HR 339 left off. ...Remember the "Cheeseburger Bill"?

That Bill let major corporations off the hook for spreading unregulated infectious food-borne diseases.

Bill H.R. 339, the “Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act” denies the real problem. Obesity-related diseases are epidemic world wide and spreading; the food industry and medical profession both play a role in spreading ‘unregulated’ infectious microbes that cause the diseases, which are defined as “obesity-related” on a technicality. By denying the true situation, the Act blocks efforts to find a genuine solution.

FAST FOOD AND FAST MOVES: DEFINE “OBESITY-RELATED.”

Since then, the situation has gone from bad to worse to unthinkable. And we don't know the half of it. But diseases are crossing species barriers like crazy, and kingdom barriers too. Like bird flu and swine flu, which jumps from animals to humans to birds and back again at the drop of a hat. And salmonella - which used to infect only animal proteins but now gets picked up by plants from groundwater, infects their roots, leaves and fruit - and then infects whoever eats the produce.

Tip: No, you can't wash it off.

...So what's the solution?

Bill S 510, and...

Monsanto to the rescue!

Monsanto will engineer disease-resistant food for us, and when the resistance mutates into reverse resistance, create more new GM food. Talk about guaranteed obsolescence - AND a guaranteed market.

...And oh yeah, we have to make it illegal for small farmers and backyard gardeners to trade or sell their wares because, well, it could be infected with one of those pesky new diseases (and because Monsanto wants a totally captive market).

Seriously though, I think the barn door's been opened, the cat's already out of the bag and the hinges fell off the lid of Pandora's box. We're best off letting nature take it's course at this point - time to mutate, adapt and evolve along with everything else.

No way can we stay ahead of this game. Mainly because everything we do with GM/GE just keeps the game going - forcing new mutations and ever-deadlier new microbial species.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

If every you had any doubts that this government is a band of insane, evil psycopaths, this has got to be it.

If people don't kick up one helluva noise and if the American people allow this to pass, they too must be insane.

To consent to this bill is to consent to being murdered.

The downright lies make me so very angry:

Monsanto says it has no interest in the bill and would not benefit from it, but Monsanto’s Michael Taylor who gave us rBGH and unregulated genetically modified (GM) organisms, appears to have designed it and is waiting as an appointed Food Czar to the FDA (a position unapproved by Congress) to administer the agency it would create — without judicial review — if it passes. S 510 would give Monsanto unlimited power over all US seed, food supplements, food and farming.

Monsanto has to be one of the most evil, murderous groups of psycohaths on this plant, surpassed only by those who are leading of this insane plot to murder humanity.

"

www.theworldsprophecy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Sun Aug 15 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

You sit there so high and mighty judging the American people and saying they are as insane as teir government. In case you haven't noticed the American people are not getting what they ask from their government. The more they fight against their government...the more the government strangles them. Do you think this economic recession (soon to be depression) is an accident? No! They planned this calculatively to punish and weaken the American people for not "playing ball" in regards to the New World Order. It doesn't matter wat the American people want, the government holds their lives and the lives of their families in their hands and the government is clearly abusing their power for self-gain at the sacrifice of the American peoples wants and needs and sacrificing the country to fill their own pockets. What do you suppose the American people do? Let's hear it smart guy. I suppose you are going to say that they should all pick up their weapons and go out and just start manhandling the country until they get what they want? That won't work either because then they will have a reason to bring in the NWO police and the United Nations military and subdue, arrest and start filling the FEMA camps. And don't, say that the FEMA camps don't exist. There are policies set in place that allow FEMA to do just that. I have worked for the government and I know that if they have a policy of any kind.....you can bet that they have every intention of using it. Thye policies are out there and the prisons (although denied) are out there as well. What do you do when your government is whipping you and you ask them to stop and they won't? I want to hear what you would personally do (because you seem to be holding all Americans responsible) to stop this...that the American people have not already tried. Everyone needs to give the American people a break......they are not doing all of this stuff in the world, their hijacked government is! Stop placing blame on the most innocent and easy prey and turn your focus to where it truly belongs. Americans were just duped and lied to for generations and they are human like you and I, totally prone to making irratinal descisions under the pretenses of fear and teir familys well being. The American government has controlled the American people with fear for generations now and they mostly fear for their families or they would have already done something about it, i'm sure of it. I am not in anyway suggesting revolution, but I am just saying that it is not the fault of the United States people......they are clearly being ignored by their government and the rest of the world hates tem for what their governemtn is doing. It seems to be a win.win situation for the government of the U.S. as they hate the very people they are supposed to be protecting from tyrants. What do you suggest we do?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Thank you.Star for you.

Another facepalm thread brought to you by the brand new sensationalists on ats.

I read it. I speak governmentese.

All it is that you can't sell food without meeting fda guidelines. Good guidelines that prevent things like e. coli killing you off.

or someone grows tomatoes next to peanuts and gives some poor kid with a peanut allergy a major reaction.

They have to cover all levels people, not just large farms. Just like a restaurant can sell one sandwhich but they still have to get a permit.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

you make a good point
whether its dried herbs being illegal in Oz, or the sovereignty being sold out to the WTO and WHO in the US and Canada, or the EU in Britain, none of our governments are functioning as advertised. They are all becoming tools of the globalist agenda...and that really is the heart of the problem..

again please refer to the section of the bill i posted last page which states that international treaties superceeds national law.

naw we are just one big happy world.....

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
A strict policy of purification by fire on all carriers of any disease would ensure to remove any diseases in your population. Just sayin.

The problem with unnatural genetically modified foods is they could add any crazy thing they want to your food.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by guyopitz
A strict policy of purification by fire on all carriers of any disease would ensure to remove any diseases in your population. Just sayin.

Diseases mutate to adapt to environmental change - call it evolution, but that's how microbial life "harmonizes" with the environment.

Maybe microbes are the "agents" used to harmonize complex organisms/higher lifeforms with the (changing) environment - and diseases are actually evidence of the mutation/adaptation process.

So killing sick people prevents our species' adaptation and survival. Just sayin.

The problem with unnatural genetically modified foods is they could add any crazy thing they want to your food.

Yup.

Not the kind of power I want to hand over to anyone. Especially sociopathic corporate-power mongers who are legally required to put profits before people.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I don't know if any of the below has been posted before, so apologize if it has.

Will this bill stop me from making my own sauces and then sharing them with friends or family? Will I be required to pay $500 and classified as a food producer, subject to inspections and regulation if I choose to give away or sell any of my home grown and canned foods?

Section 102 refers to 21 U.S.C. 350d(a) to determine who is required to register.

From 21 U.S.C. 350d(a)(1):

"The Secretary shall by regulation require that any facility engaged in manufacturing, processing, packing, or holding food for consumption in the United States be registered with the Secretary."

The definition of facility is found in 21 U.S.C. 350d(b)(1):

"The term ?facility? includes any factory, warehouse, or establishment (including a factory, warehouse, or establishment of an importer) that manufactures, processes, packs, or holds food. Such term does not include farms; restaurants; other retail food establishments; nonprofit food establishments in which food is prepared for or served directly to the consumer; or fishing vessels (except such vessels engaged in processing as defined in section 123.3(k) of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations).

So, no. It doesn't look like you'd be required to register if you are only making your own sauces and sharing them with friends and family. If, on the other hand, you started to sell your canned foods to stores (not directly to the consumer) for resale, then yes.

GovTrack.us Q&A

Farmers markets sell directly to the consumer (usually, though I do know of instances where local resteraunts buy fresh foods from local farms, so I don't know how that scenario would count). If you look at the GovTrack website, someone who purports to be part of a farmers market believes the bill will endanger their existance.

However, I think it is interesting to note the supporters and detractors of this bill:

OPPOSE:
Weston A. Price Foundation
Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund
National Independent Consumers and Farmers Association
Raw Milk Association of Colorado
Farm Family Defenders
American Grassfed Association
Small Farms Conservancy
National Family Farm Coalition
Carolina Farm Stewardship Association

SUPPORT:
American Frozen Food Institute
Grocery Manufacturers Association
National Fisheries Institute
United Fresh Produce Association
National Restaurant Association
Produce Marketing Association
General Mills
Kraft Foods North America
Consumers Union
Center for Science in the Public Interest
Food Marketing Institute
American Public Health Association
Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention
Consumer Federation of America
International Bottled Water Association
National Association of Manufacturers
National Confectioners Association
National Consumers League
Pew Charitable Trust
Trust for America's Health
Snack Food Association
Safe Tables Our Priority (STOP)
American Bakers Association
American Beverage Association
International Dairy Foods Association
International Foodservice Distributors Association
National Coffee Association
American Farm Bureau

As someone who has an interest in public health and the things that affect it, this would seem like a good idea. However, one only needs to look at how well the FDA and the USDA regulate and check food producers only to have the CDC bail them out and find the source of the outbreaks. We already don't have enough inspectors working at the FDA, nor do we have enough checks. The FDA and USDA are corrupted with officials and staff funded by the companies we are supposed to be protected from. One can only wonder how well a new regulatory body would fare.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I heard about this bill some time ago, however I can't remember specifically where or from what source I heard it. At the time I thought "Well that really sucks major monkey balls" but I lived in an apartment and couldn't do much more than a potted garden. Since then I have moved to a home with a nice chunk of land and we are all about gardening. We got here a little late in the season and so we haven't got much in the garden plot right now. We were looking to spring for a huge planting party!

Also, I live in Amish Country and I go to a place called "The Corn Wagon" on a weekly basis. This is a small farmer's market or a large roadside stand and they have the BEST sweet corn on the cob (13 ears for $2), tomatoes, green peppers, string beans, egg plant and all sorts of other locally grown and organiclly grow veggies! We love this stuff, not to mention the home made pies, cakes, chow-chow and other delectible delights that are common in this area.

This bill would absolutely kill this local economy, I mean it would pulverize it!! A friend of mine has chickens and a small garden herself, she gives me things, but she sells her overflow, what her family can't use before it would go bad. That is how they stay afloat. Her and her husband work full time jobs, but they need that little extra and her itty-bitty farm provides that for them. This is the direction my family is going to go and if this bill passes, we're screwed, along with many others in the area!!

This is insanity! We can not and WILL NOT stand for this, this bill will not pass!! I swear, if it's the last thing I do, this bill will not pass!!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Guys, I think you are getting your knickers in a knot over something relatively minor.

From what I have read, they can sell you a basket of peaches, they just can't sell you a jar of peach preserves, without first meeting criteria to sell "processed foods".

I'm just wondering what effect, if any, this will have on "bake sales", for churches, and other fund-raisers for smaller organizations.

Hopefully that won't change.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

if this passes in the US then I wonder how long it will take the UK to follow in the footsteps of this... I will still grow my own food regardless of what tptb want and say!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Don't worry, this bill is only for your safety. It will protect you from the food terrorist, the small farmers.

Just like:
The patriot act, to protect you from the terrorist, not to strip your freedoms away.
Banker bail outs to help the economy and fill the bankers pockets with more tax payer money.
Joemommacare for free health care for everyone, but if you don't purchase it you will be fined.

There's plenty more, it's for your own good. You don't know what is good for you, only the government does. There people would never ever do anything to harm you or take your freedoms away.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
this sounds like a precursor to a great food shortage and the basis for plans to only provide and distribute food to only those deemed worthy. If all the talk about the WTO is true, those with a nice size garden, and a couple of goats and chickens could easily provide for themselves and be self-sustaining throughout the year. i believe during WWII it was illegal in German to provide for certain people.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
How about we all just actually read the bill, rather than these crazy interpretations flying around.

Read the bill here (it's pretty boring stuff)

www.opencongress.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Guys, I think you are getting your knickers in a knot over something relatively minor.

On the surface, yes - and many are inaccurately presenting the bill's long term implications as present fact. ...But the proposed bill is a major problem because of those implications.

Mainly, the Bill will secure exclusive rights for major corporations to produce, manufacture, process and distribute our food.

Why? ...The reason given is to ensure FDA oversight of hygiene and to prevent contamination.

BUT. ...The fact is, most major food-borne infectious diseases are not even regulated, by the FDA or anyone else.

The reason most food-borne infectious diseases are not regulated is because they're new - new disease mutations, resulting from animal exposures to antibiotics and other human meds, followed by contaminated run-off into industrial produce farms, and etc. And more new disease-causing microbes are appearing faster and more often.

SO...

Instead of updating the FDA's food-borne disease list and regs, policy and lawmakers choose to shift liability to consumers by focusing on "Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption" and legislation like the "Commonsense Consumption Act" - making consumers personally responsible for the health impacts of unregulated food-borne disease-causing microbes.

IE: From Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act HR 339 to H.R. 554. in 2005. to the "Commonsense Consumption Act" S. 908. 93. U.S. Congress. Senate. 2007.

Granted, it looks like these bills may have stalled at the federal level, but many states already have passed laws to limit corporate liability for unregulated food contaminations.

The point is:
New food-borne disease-causing microbes are NOT being regulated; instead, corporations are being protected from liability and consumers are being held responsible for the resultant health impacts.

...The bill being discussed here is part of the 'legislation package' that protects major corporations from liability, shifts responsibility onto consumers, and secures and protects the market for major corporations.

From what I have read, they can sell you a basket of peaches, they just can't sell you a jar of peach preserves, without first meeting criteria to sell "processed foods".

Vegetables like carrots, spinach, and lettuce now can be contaminated with diseases like e. coli and salmonella inside the roots, leaves and stems - not just on the surface. ...This is the "problem" lawmakers and policymakers are trying to address while protecting corporate interests (not consumer health and rights).

So - in its current form, the bill may not explicitly prohibit the direct sale of produce to consumers, but the ground is well-laid to introduce amendments to do just that.

And incidentally [sic], pave the way to justify regulations mandating the use of "disease-resistant" GM/GE seeds for all food crops.

I'm just wondering what effect, if any, this will have on "bake sales", for churches, and other fund-raisers for smaller organizations.

Fall suppers, bake sales and community potlucks all (inadvertently) spread food-borne disease and cause local "epidemics" - worse when the culprit is a new mutation. ...Unfortunately, the laws protecting major corporations from liability do NOT protect "smaller organizations," and people are not being told what's happening...

PS. Thanks for the link ommadawn.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
alright this bill is to much
im sorry but if we just sit there and let this happen then were pretty much asking for the government to completely control our lives.
Come on people we have to stand up to this unfair and inhumane law
its our right to choose how we live so we should be able to grow our own food to support ourselves

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sorry nixie. I tend to read your posts and agree with you, but I can't here.

For starters, if I have an eatery why do I need a government sanctioned permit? If I sell beans to a guy that is allergic to beans, how is that my fault? Caveat empor. Let the buyer beware. Not the seller. If I produce a safe, quality product, I stay in business, if my product sickens or kills people, I will be tarred and feathered. No agency should hold that power over me or you. Only the people I serve.

As to this bill. It's been out there for awhile, like the one requiring registration of all barnyard animals. Neither is going anywhere anytime soon, so raise your animals, grow your own, and buy locally. The day for rising up with your hayfork is not yet at hand.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I just read the bill...can any one point out which section says we can't grow trade, or sell our own food?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
BTW...it doesn't apply to farms...or restaraunts, just the people who make the food, not process it.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

Permits cover more then just allergies. I assisted restaurant inspections. Very few restaurants ever get 100%.
They check all temperatures
foods have to be kept seperate
food preparers have to wear gloves and wash hands

If you are allergic to peanuts, you should be able to buy a tomato salad without concern.

Though it may not be as common, people still die from salmonella and e. coli.

I saw a wedding party of 175 come down with e. coli poisoning because one chef didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom.

So if this goes on in permitted establishments, imagine what goes on in non-permitted ones?

You will rarely see restaurant inspectors eating from hot dog stands. Why?
no sinks

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
Government homepage for this bill.

The only scare tactics being used are by the OP and the website he got this from.

The headline "Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food" is absolutely false.

I challange anyone to find the wording in this bill that makes this headline true.

As no one will be able to answer my challenge, as there is nothing in the bill to support this headline, I appeal to the mods to change the misleading and false title of this thread.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by craig732]

I AM WRITING THIS IN ALL CAPS TO GET THE ATTENTION OF THE MODS, SINCE MY PREVIOUS APPEAL WAS IGNORED.

READ THE BILL. IT DOES NOT MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO GROW, SHARE, TRADE, OR SELL HOMEGROWN FOOD.

MODS: PLEASE ISSUE ME MY WARNING FOR USING ALL CAPS, THEN PLEASE CHANGE THE FALSE TITLE OF THIS THREAD.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join