It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"There is already a thread about this topic."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
"There is already a thread about this topic. Click here."

I'm seeing this phrase, and variations of it, a lot more recently than I used to.

Yes, I know ATS policy is for there to be only one thread at a time on a given topic (plus breaking news), and I have no problem with mods closing threads and consolidating topics.

Where it starts to get annoying, for me personally, is seeing non-mods doing this constantly, as an attention-grabbing attempt to steer conversations towards their own threads, perhaps. While it may seem rational to remind people of an earlier thread, I feel this is a mod's job, not that of "civillian" posters. when non-mods merely remark that an earlier thread exists, they generally contribute to a further fragmenting and splintering of attention, as half the posters wander off on one thread and half fizzle out on the other.

Moreover, over-zealous policing of this policy can stifle creativity. Right now there is an entire, very lively and informative forum on the Gulf Oil catastrophe. Imagine if somebody rigidly decided early-on that there could be only a single thread on the topic! Hundreds of informative articles and opinions that deserved their own threads would be buried in some thousand-page monstrosity, where they would be ignored by the 90% of posters who don't have the ability or inclination to work through massive threads.

My own personal view is that it doesn't matter who posts a given thread at all, as long as people are talking about it. If a mod decides to close a thread and re-direct traffic in a certain direction, fine. But random posts trying to steer conversations this way or that just muddies the water, IMHO.

I only post about this because it seems there is a lot more of this recently. Any opinions welcome.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
There is already a thread about this topic. Click here.

(it's even on the front page of the BB&Q forum)

(search is your friend)

(have I pissed you off yet?)

(sorry)

[edit on 15/8/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
If someone happens to be aware that there is already another thread about a duplicate or similar topic, it's a courtesy to post this information so that other people who may not have seen that other thread or threads can take a look to see additional comments and information about a topic.

reply to post by Chadwickus

Thank you!

[edit on 8/15/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
There is already a thread about this topic. Click here.

Chadwickus.....

But.....

There is already a thread about that here.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

But..... There is already a thread about that here..... www.abovetopsecret.com...

My apologies, but I do believe you mean this thread:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

there was already a thread about this authored in 2004, also i think...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

But..... There is already a thread about that here..... www.abovetopsecret.com...

My apologies, but I do believe you mean this thread:

Chadwickus.....

Well, I won't mind if you use this link after all:

I won't mind if you use this link after all

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

there was already a thread about this authored in 2004, also i think...

Esoteric Teacher.....

How good's that!

I might link to it too.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Oh my. I seem to have opened a can of worms here...

Please excuse me as I fumble around on my bookshelf for an old, dog-eared, vintage Rubik's-cube-era copy of "Goedel, Escher Bach"...Help, Mr. Hofstadter...

[edit on 8/15/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Yep. I see it all the time, and I have always thought it was rude.

It's the moderator's function to determine this. Leave it to them.

It can be done politely, I've noticed, when another poster might add a comment and give a link stating "more discussion about this here".

But to come in and try to shut down someone else's thread is just rude.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Well this is a nice Escher style est of posts.

So threads that have already started...

I reckon it's fine to point to existing threads. I do it regularly when a story comes up across the various boards. It's good academic practise for people to have a collection of differing opinions and information bulked together.

Just the other day the new swine flu appeared all across the boards and outwith the breaking news section I linked them all to each other. Diseases and Education are 2 separate forums for a reason, but within each of them were threads discussing different parts of the story.

I suppose the OP has a full blue bar beneath his name because they are either incredibly scholarly and supply lots of original research and fresh thoughts on topics and so don't like duplicate threads or they just pass on other people's work with links within threads they've created and get peeved off when someone else does exactly the same.

Either way that's why this thread is here

-m0r

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

members are also responsible for ATS, we are the majority, and we have the mods outnumbered. but, ya, we can be more polite, less belittling, and more helpful to others in our posts. but, we are also obligated to eachother to make the change happen we would like to see in/from ATS.

i'm flagging this thread just due to my rebellious nature.

i'm swimming against the current, while travelling down stream...

at least this subject matter actually has very few threads about it.

and the thread from 2004 ... may be a little outdated..

thanks for sharing, thanks for tolerating my cynical side,
et

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I think it's rude to not respect other members by not bothering to search to see if a thread has already been started or not.

More thoughts on that HERE

[edit on 15/8/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I have pointed out to a member that there is an existing thread, but thats just in breaking news and I still leave a comment...

I do find it sad after reading through 18 pages of another thread about useless, hatefull posts that half the replies in your thread are useless replies that serve no purpose...

If people can't contribute they shouldn't post...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

At least they're not hateful....

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Thats true enough..but to be honest, what percentage of posts on ATS are hatefull???

I don't see that many..Maybe the Mods delete them before I see them..

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You people have too much damn time on your hands.

Dammit, I'm a hypocrite.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by sticky]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

You need those sunglasses Rowdy Roddy Piper had in 'They live' to see them.

They're everywhere!!!

-m0r

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Maybe but some view strong opinions as hate..
Some view anything they don't agree with as hate..

Its a hard word to define, hell, I hate brussel sprouts.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The reason why certain members don't want there to be multiple threads is that the disinfo/ paid posters are busy enough and don't have time to derail/ obfuscate 2 or more threads at once!

And yeah, there are waay too many posters not contributing anything in a thread, thus necessitating multiple threads.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join