It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S Korea, US to begin fresh drills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

S Korea, US to begin fresh drills

www.presstv.ir

South Korea and the United States are to launch a fresh large-scale joint military exercise this week amid growing tension with North Korea.

Washington and Seoul said that they will stage the ten-day war games, called "Ulchi Freedom Guardian", to deter threats from Pyongyang.

The drills will involve 30 thousand American troops on the ground and an unknown number of others will be joining from the US via computers, a US military spokesman said on Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
30.000 troops from America and 56.000 troops from SKorea. I don't remember a drill that involved that many troops anywhere in the world. If someone does, please post it...

North Korea sure doesn't like that. A little reminder..
NKorea deploys anti-aircraft missiles as wargame tensions mount

China doesn't like that at all...
Chinese admiral says U.S. drill courts confrontation

A senior Chinese military strategist called planned U.S. naval exercises in the region a provocation and accused the Obama administration of seeking to encircle China and pursuing a "chaotic" approach toward Beijing.

The Pentagon plans new joint naval exercises with ally South Korea that will send a U.S. aircraft carrier into the Yellow Sea, between China and the Korean peninsula.

Those exercises are intended to provoke "enmity and confrontation in the Asia-Pacific region," Yang wrote.

Chine se missile could shift Pacific power balance

China taking 'more aggressive' stance at sea: US admiral

South Korea won't accept any other provocations...
Amid growing tensions between South Korea and North Korea, Seoul has warned that it will not tolerate any further military provocations by its northern neighbor.

Russia's investigation found out that it was a MINE not a torpedo that sank the SKorean ship.
Russia’s Cheonan investigation suspects that the sinking Cheonan ship was caused by a mine in water

N.Korea Warns of 'Severest Punishment' over S.Korea-U.S. War Games

But as always, since we're talking about North Korea here, nothing will happen.

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Sooner or later NK will bite. TPTB have been trying to goad NK into starting something for years now, I wouldn't be suprised if another false flag operation may be underway.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This just seems to me to be another attempt to antagonise North Korea into retaliating as SunDawg says.

It's a pattern....continously have the US and South Korea hold military exercises, provoke North Korea and bingo, pretext for war.

Perhaps they were expecting North Korea to react by now.

Who knows, one day they might.

Perhaps that is what the torpedo incident was designed to be a trigger for, an excuse to hold military exercise after exercise on North Korea's doorstep, hoping North Korea does something to try to deter them, and then we have war, and the excuse of 'North Korean aggression' to topple the regime.

These military exercises seem to aim at backing North Korea into a corner at the barrel of a gun.

Well, if you're cornered, and think you're in danger, you're going to try to protect yourself. North Korea might just do that one of these days.

And China are not happy about this either.

If China and North Korea were holding military exercises just outside US waters and in Mexico, the US might start talking about fighting a sacred war too and warning what will happen if it is attacked.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunDawg
Sooner or later NK will bite. TPTB have been trying to goad NK into starting something for years now, I wouldn't be suprised if another false flag operation may be underway.

I dont understand why they are trying to annoy North Korea so much? Does the US want an excuse to invade or something? Isnt it all just rice fields and no oil?

[edit on 15-8-2010 by rajaten]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Let N.K start something, its time for this regime to end. To many people suffering in that country, its sick. Totally destroy all of Kims military installations, and other government positions.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Jamiethegreat]

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Jamiethegreat]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

IMO it's just more positioning for TPTB. There time is short so they must get WWIII going full tilt real soon. Don't forget about Iran, they are on the radar as well.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
www.jpost.com... 'N. Korea threatens 'merciless' response'

North Korea warned the South Sunday it would stage a "merciless" retaliation against the joint South Korean-US military maneuvers planned this week.

Why does the North keep saying this stuff? Last month it was a "sacred nuclear war", and so on and so on. Why bother saying this crap if your not going to follow up on it? They are so irritating

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

They are saying this stuff because they have military exercises taking place right on their doorstep carried out by two nations that are opposed to them.

Consider it from the North Korean view. They are trying to deter an attack verbally by sounding as tough as possible. They could just skip that and just fire a few missiles at the military exercises to get their point across, but they know there would be hell to pay.

It would be like if China and North Korea kept telling the US how very bad it is and then carried out naval military exercises just outside US territorial waters, and carried out army exercises in Mexico.

The US, thinking something was up and were threatened, might start talking about fighting a 'sacred war' too.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

reply to post by rajaten

IMO it's just more positioning for TPTB. There time is short so they must get WWIII going full tilt real soon. Don't forget about Iran, they are on the radar as well.

That makes sense to me. Positioning themselves in pivotal points for power and range for their missiles maybe. Time will tell.
Iran starts their nuclear plant in a week or so, we might see some action soon who knows.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SunDawg

TPTB don't have to goad the potbelly into doing anything. He knows he is in charge of a failed country, under a failed ideology. He is like a small angry child (albeit a very dangerous one) jumping up and down screaming "Look at me! Look at me!"

The sooner that schmuck is taken out the better. Lord knows the people of NK might finally see some of the food that has been getting siphoned off to the military for years...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten

I dont understand why they are trying to annoy North Korea so much? Does the US want an excuse to invade or something? Isnt it all just rice fields and no oil?

[edit on 15-8-2010 by rajaten]

The exercise titled "Ulchi Freedom Guardian" (previously known as Operation Foal Eagle) has been going on every March and every August for - well, since before i was born.

It's nothing new. This is my third time participating in the exercise in as many years.

The nature of the exercise has changed the past few years, now aimed at transferring military authority over to South Korea with the U.S. playing back-up.

As for North Korea - they're posturing, nothing more. Great Leader needs to go be strong for his news reels he shows to his people - make them feel happy and safe knowing that he won't let the rest of the world take their great and Glorious Korea.

Although, Great Leader is probably not going to last many more years, so who knows what kind of power shifts and what-not will happen to change that.

He's probably one of the few dictators who is actually happy having his little corner of the world, and not too concerned with expanding his authority. He gets any grade school girl he wants, and everyone sings and dances for him - sounds like paradise for anyone.

Anyway - the nature of the exercises are not to provoke North Korea, or China. They are to ensure that South Korea has adequate defensive strategies to preserve its sovereignty.

new topics

top topics

join