It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are animals stupid?? (interesting question)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Sitting on the floor, surrounded by an assortment of objects and utensils, Kanzi the bonobo pauses for a moment, a look of contemplation flickering across his warm brown eyes, before picking up a knife with his left hand and beginning to chop the onions in the bowl in front of him.

He has done exactly what the researcher asked him in English, in much the same way as one might expect a toddler to react to a series of basic commands.

Next, the ape, which is a close cousin of the chimpanzee, is asked to 'put the salt on the ball'. It may not be a particularly useful skill, but nevertheless Kanzi understands the sentence and begins to sprinkle salt on the multi-coloured beach ball beside him.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

We have under estimated the intelligence of some animals. I think animals have intelligence, they just have different beliefs which makes them look less intelligent.

It would be hard for a Christian to understand why a Muslim believes in Islam, and vice versa. The same goes for animals and humans.

In exactly the same manner, he carefully executes a series of other requests - from 'put the soap in the water' to 'could you take the television outside please?'.
Kanzi has an extensive vocabulary - 384 words at the last count - and not all of them easy nouns and verbs such as 'toy' and 'run'. He understands what the researchers call 'concept words' - words such as 'from' and 'later' - and he can cope with grammar, differentiating for example between past tense and current.

I believe they have given up on thinking, I have said this many many times that if you suddenly inherit this belief that you shouldn't think, and let others do the thinking for you, you will become like an animal. Our brain is like our muscle, when we use it, we unleash its true potential.

Another of the Iowa bonobos, Nyoto, loved to get kisses and to eat sweets, so he worked out a way to ask for both. Pointing at the words 'feel' and 'kiss', then 'eat' and 'candy', he got what he wanted.

Cute

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I think animals are very intelligent.
its the humans who are stupid!
look at how long and how much effort they put in to teaching a human baby.
if they did the same with some animals,
they would see that the animals are very intelligent.
but they would not be as intelligent as a human child.
yet! as you go down, we go up in intelligent.
ook! feeding time. bananas yum yum...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I agree with Buddha!! Has ALWAYS annoyed me that humans firmly believe all other life here is less intelligent!!
People argue that they don't use tools...they DO! That they haven't learned to speak OUR language....errr..and the "superior" human in all these centuries has yet to learn dog, cat or whale either!! Even though humans have so many diverse languages of their own which they learn!!
Just can't STAND the normal sheeple's smugness and arrogance! Grrrr!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeyDawn

Uhmmm... the article clearly showed an inate inteligence. it also showed that humans are and will always be the MOST inteligent species. Its one thing to recognize intelligence in animals, its a COMPLETELY different thing to compare animal inteligence with human nteligence...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

We have under estimated the intelligence of some animals. I think animals have intelligence, they just have different beliefs which makes them look less intelligent.

It would be hard for a Christian to understand why a Muslim believes in Islam, and vice versa. The same goes for animals and humans.

IMO you can't gauge intelligence by learned behavior, rote, taught behavior, etc.

As for a Christian not understanding a Muslim or visa versa - the only reason why they could not, IMO, is hate and racism.

If Christians and Muslims examined each other they'd find the same thing. A person with a belief system learned from the culture they were born into.

peace

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

is hate and racism.

I tend to disagree.

A Muslim and a Christian wouldn't understand each other because of their belief, that they both believe in two different things, giving them a whole different sense of reality.

Once again, animals can learn, just like humans, and they can become as intelligent as humans I believe, if we give them a belief system, which I suspect they have lost.

Once again, if you have inherit the belief that you shouldn't think for yourself, what is the product? I say animals.(do you disagree?)

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Cool thread.

Animals aren't stupid, though. Humans just try to think too much.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I don't think animals are so stupid, my dogs are pretty damn smart!

They know where to find food and water, they know where to go pee and such, they know where to find their toys, they 'tell' us when they want something by barking and looking at what it is they want, they can do tricks like bouncing a ball and 'singing' on command, they know if they like a bath or not, and if not, they hide. Mine also watch tv, they will sit and stare straight at the set when they hear other animal sounds, and watch to see what it is! If a friend calls and says they are coming over, somehow the dogs know this and line up near the door, and begin barking just before the guest arrives. They know when we are coming home too, I have watched them sleep until 10 minutes before time for my husband to come home, they jump up and run to the door watching for him long before he gets there. I find them amazing.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

They have different beliefs?

Ehm, no, it's just like it is, they are less intelligent than humans because they have less brain capacity.

Some animals are very intelligent, like the apes and dolphins, because they have similar brain capacity.

Animals are equipped with the intelligence they need in order to survive in the wild, beliefs have absolutely nothing to do with it.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

Animals are equipped with the intelligence they need in order to survive in the wild, beliefs have absolutely nothing to do with it.

who domesticated humanity?

who made us tame?

i hold the belief i am equipped with some measure of intelligence required to survive in the wild. but on some issues i happen to believe my dog has more senses than i do, and thus sensory input i do not, ie a broader spectrum of hearing/smelling.

i'm sure our brains are doing more than we give them credit for, and our bodies are doing more than our brains give it credit for as well, sometimes.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Animals are ANIMALS, why ask more? Why the worthless posts?
2nd line.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Just another thought, this reminds me of how people think of aliens. We assume they will be super intelligent beings. The images of 'aliens' presented to us are what a lot of people expect them to look like.

What if they look just like us, but are not as intelligent by our standards, but by their standards, we are not as intelligent as they believe themselves to be.

Dogs, cats, elephants, whatever animals, may think the same as us, and I must say, since we buy the food for our pets, pay the medical bills, buy them treats and toys, take them riding and on vacation, I am now wondering who's laughing at who

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Originally posted by Jamiethegreat
Animals are ANIMALS, why ask more? Why the worthless posts?
2nd line.

IF you decide to become an animal, and hold that belief long enough, it becomes culture, and then it is deeply rooted within all human societies, slowly turning us in to animals, then when we do become animals (due to our beliefs), how can we go back?

[edit on 15-8-2010 by oozyism]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

who domesticated humanity? who made us tame? i hold the belief i am equipped with some measure of intelligence required to survive in the wild. but on some issues i happen to believe my dog has more senses than i do, and thus sensory input i do not, ie a broader spectrum of hearing/smelling.

I don't know if we're tame, but there are some theories on that.

Your dog has better senses, but it needs them because it is not as intelligent as we are.

We are more intelligent, so we don't need such good senses, we solve problems with brain power.

I mean, your dog is not smarter than you, because it can smell and hear better, I presume.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

No videos, no proof, no nothing. Yeah, everbody can puke out an article like this without any real proof.
There's the saying "Monkey see, monkey do" and that's what it is, show the monkey what he should do and he copies it, i guess that's what was done here. They don't understand our language, they're not intelligent, just driven by instinct. If animals were intelligent, they would've evolved over the thousands and millions of years. But not even dogs and cats, who are living with humans since hundreds of years haven't evolved. Nothing changed in them.
That alone proves, that there is no intelligent in them, nothing that let them evolve, nothing that changes them.

Just take a look at humans: We evolved, we learn, we discover, we create, we invent and we live a good live, unlike animals who live in the dirt, in the cold, die because they can't help themself.
We are intelligent, despite what some stupid animal-friends are saying

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

They do seem smarter if you look at it from another perspective that dogs and cats are ultimately hustling us ^^

True hustlers, they just act cute and they get everything for free.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

So what you are saying is, that a dog is basically as "intelligent" as a 3 year old child, because he can make noises, play with a ball and can eat.
Whoa
Now that's intelligence

(Sorry but i really had to laugh about the post
)

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Actually Shadowangel, they are as smart as a 2yr old! This article was posted on livescience just this august, but the 'breaking news' of it was earlier this year. Dogs CAN be as smart as a 2 yr old.

www.livescience.com...

The finding is based on a language development test, revealing average dogs can learn 165 words (similar to a 2-year-old child), including signals and gestures, and dogs in the top 20 percent in intelligence can learn 250 words.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I don't know what there is to discuss. Are you saying our pets have a biiger brain capacity than we have?

I know pets are smart, I know dogs that seem almost as smart as we are, but they don't quite have the capacity that we have.

PS: the reason we have pets in the first place is because we had the brain capacity to domesticate these animals for our own uses, on the other hand, I think I once read that it's the wolves that sticked close to man because we left scraps, and that the domestication was actually a process that was initiated by both human and animal, because it was mutually beneficial.

I'm not sure.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Point of No Return]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Dogs Vs Cats:

I believe animals have intelligence. I have owned many of both dogs and cats, and I can tell you I think cats are way smarter than dogs naturally, but then dogs can be trained easier than cats can to do special things.

I see training the dogs as a sign not so much that dogs are smarter, but that they are more foolish because they allow themselves to be taught.

Cats that do not allow themselves to be taught but still retain their natural smarter than dogs intelligence are smart enough to in effect say, " You want me to do what? Silly human, tricks are for dogs. I'm going to do my own thing that pleases Me."

Just my observations over the last 40 years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join