It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power in Jewelry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I know, crazy question right? Well, not really....

When a man wants to show his affection for a woman, he will probably opt to buy her an item of jewelry.

Now if a man REALLY loves a woman and chooses to commit to her, he will buy her an engagement ring. If everything goes as planned, on the wedding day both man and woman will exchange wedding bands.

I think this is a pretty good indicator that the bestowment of jewelry coincides with showing affection towards someone.

Jewelry, it would seem, is also designed to be worn by those of high ranking. Think about it. A king and queen wear their respective crowns, princesses wear tiaras, etc...royalty are usually decked out in jewelry.

Most of the most prominent families even store their most prized jewelry hidden for safekeeping. Is it because of the memories it has? Or is because of the POWER it wields?

I have been thinking on this subject for a while, and I have always wondered why a nice piece of jewelry costs so much. I realize that the materials used to make these items are precious in our world, HOWEVER, I think there is more to it than that.

Most of us here are familiar with religious teachings and whatnot. I can't put my finger on the exact quote at the moment, but I do remember reading about how Lucifer (when still in heaven) was adorned in sparkling jems and jewelry.

Could it be that jewelry was originally an adornment solely for angels in heaven? And if so, that would agree with the assumption that jewelry is to be worn by those of high ranking and status.

I don't guess it's that hard to assume that the art of making jewelry may have been yet another secret art that was given to man by the fallen ones.

I just wonder if spells can be cast into jewelry to make it powerful. I think a few authors/moviemakers have tried to hint at that in their literature/movies from time to time.

Just an interesting thought....

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Privy_Princess]

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Privy_Princess]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Privy_Princess

If you want spelled jewelry, just goto the metaphysical
section of eBay. Sometimes its refered to as Haunted Jewelry.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think you are on to something in that jewellery has a strong element of power within it.

In many cultures (in fact the biggest 'gold' cultures in the world, India and partially China) gold jewellery is given to the woman at marriage, as it is generally in many cultures around the world at marriage.

But this kind of represents a dowry, a form of security - in that, should the marriage go sour or something happen to the man, the woman will have some sort of wealth, or security, left after all else fails. I think this is really the historical context of the power of jewellery you are talking about in some ways; gold, and its poorer cousin silver, is money/wealth stored in a condensed, universally-recognized format.

Gold=money (gold is the oldest, longest-surviving, and most universally-recognized currency in existence)

Money=power (in most cultures it is thought more money, more power)

Jewellery=gold (most often anyway)

So therefore jewellery=power

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I don't know about "special powers", but I really enjoy holding jewelry and precious metal in my hands. I could look at silver, gold and diamonds all day long. Wish I had more of it.

Most of the most prominent families even store their most prized jewelry hidden for safekeeping. Is it because of the memories it has? Or is because of the POWER it wields?

Probably because of it's value. No matter what inflation does to a currency, "gold standard" is cliche for a reason. Gold and jewels have stood the test if time, literally and figuratively. It was valued by ancient Egyptians, Romans, and present-day. Also, precious metals are the least easily oxidized because of their reduction potentials, so they last "forever".

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If you really want to know about the power of jewelery (especially diamonds) and the cost that it has had on humanity, then I would suggest that you read about the de beers cartel, and the amount of blood that has been spilled in the world for the sake of diamonds,

starting here

[edit on 14-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Privy_Princess

Jewels have always been so historic and important as indicators of a persons status or class. I prefer totems myself.

Mining and metallurgy are rather odd beginnings for mankind and yet they were some of the earliest professions. You would think early man might have been content or at least preoccupied with what is above the ground, FIRST.

This is interesting. I believe the best use for gold is medical application and diamonds as instrument for cutting or conducting light. Ornamentation is superfluous and extraneous, but I think this is the point.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join