It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Paulding Light Case: New Evidence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The Paulding Light of Michigan

This is definitely an interesting case, and the reason I decided to pick it up is because I myself live in Michigan, and would really like to see this. Understood there are a few threads on ATS about this already, none were covered very well, and new evidence has been presented.

The occurrence is located in Watersmeet, Michigan. The interesting thing is, this light doesn't just appear randomly. It happens every single night, for the past 40 years. Thousands of people, from all over the world come to see this light, and those who live nearby come to see it very often. Some people even claimed to see the "Grim Reaper" floating across the road near the light.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0b87b6b514e.jpg[/atsimg]

Theres a couple legends to this story I found. Now one legend is, there was once a railroad on this long stretch of road. A train happened to stall on the track, and the signalmen stepped in with his light to try to signal to the oncoming train to stop, and the train crushed him and he died. So apparently, the light appears every night, as a ghostly warning.

Another, states that an engineer was murdered along the railroad grade. And the last being, a man was out late at night carrying a lantern looking for his lost son in the woods, and the man accidently got hit by the train, and so the light is his ghost still looking for his son.

Now just recently, the show Paranormal: Fact or Faked, went to the location to do a series of tests. They tried driving a car down there to see if it re-created the light, they tested the area for radioactive activity, swamp gas, and electromagnetic activity, none of which showed any off results of what it could be caused by. And finally, they even rented a small plane, so when the light appeared they could fly to the location and see what was causing it, when they got there, they saw absolutely nothing, yet the people who were still in the area looking at the light, saw the light very clearly.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5bde420a5a63.jpg[/atsimg]

Heres an excerpt from someones experience.

My mom and I sat there and talked. After a while it almost seemed like it was getting brighter, that it seemed like it was getting closer, but we were not sure. When we knew it was getting closer, we backed up slowly. I pointed my flashlight to where it was coming from. It almost seemed like it was dancing up the power line. It crept closer and closer. When we knew that it was less that 20 feet away from us we hopped in the car. When we noticed that it was less then 10 feet away from the car we tried to start the car, but it wouldn't start! The huge red light got closer and closer and my mom tried to start the engine so much that she almost broke the key! Finally it started and we sped out of there.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a90899b9cf23.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/686c35f09b26.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/93a346c3ce25.jpg[/atsimg]

www.castleofspirits.com...
www.pauldinglight.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Thank you, Jess

I'd never before heard of the Paulding Light, so top marks (Flag & Star) for introducing it via this thread

Looks completely different during the day, doesn't it -- and makes you realise there's nothing visible out there during the day which could explain the nighttime light

Usually, these mysteries are based on something mundane or are simply stories which grew. But you've kindly posted the photo of the sign which illustrates the Paulding Light is a recognised phenomenon -- a semi-official phenomenon of such reliability that the local council or someone has attempted to organise visitors and ensure the spot won't be spoiled by litter

I'm astonished, to be honest, especially after learning from your post that such effort was expended by investigators in their attempt to locate the source of the light (even including a light plane)

Very enjoyable post

thank you again

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

I had never even heard about this either till yesterday! And I was really suprised to learn that all the tests they did, and still couldnt find the source of this huge light. Apparently theres a group of people there everynight to watch the light appear.

Its too bad its so far up north or else I would love to go see it myself.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I've seen it! I go to college in Marquette, and freshman year, some friends and I took a trip out there to experience the light for ourselves. Admittedly, we only spent about five minutes looking at the light, because we had beers and were more interested in camping out . . . .

Buuut, the light was very interesting. It looks exactly in person as it does in the pictures you posted.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by funkmob_starchild]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I saw that episode earlier this week of Fact Or faked. I'm going have to go back and check it out again because I remember feeling as if there was a huge flaw in what they were doing, or they didn't check something out. I really can't remember which as it was really late when I watched it.

I walked away feeling like they could have done better though.

I think they should have had a four wheeler with a light on a pole on the top. Once the light started, haul butt towards it and be told when to stop by someone at the other end of the road. That at the very least would have allowed them to find the exact spot where it is at.

It's a weird phenomenon, but I just get the feeling it's not "paranormal". No real reason other then a gut feeling though.

Thanks for the thread, it reminded me to go back and check it out. If I can figure anything out, I'll post back.

Side note: that same episode about the Rail road in San Antonio...didn't that get your blood pumping until they spoiled it at the end?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Now the fact that is seems to happen every night, does raise some questions for me also. There was probably more they could of did, but theres only so much you can do in a day or two. It definitely makes me think though.

AND YES. I really thought the car rolling was because of the ghost, I couldn't believe the road was actually downhill. Such a disappointment.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The more I think about it, it seems a little fishy with how the town promotes it ya know?

I know that small towns tend to embrace their local legends the one I'm in has quite a few. But I have never seen a plaque set up about a ghost.

Maybe it's best that it stays a mystery though.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
S&F!! I remember hearing something about this a long time ago when I was little. Something about a signal man and his light always being there. So I guess this is what it was. So thanks for reminding me what it was and making it clear. But I honestly think its cool as hell. But my problem is I really think it has something to do with the power lines and the trees being soo close. I think when I get some vacation time I'll take a trip up there with some buddies. But when that light comes on, I'm bum rushing it with a camera and see what I can get. I have to agree with iamsupermanv2
. It seems fishy, but I have to go for myself and like I said bum rush the light, lol. Knowing my luck it will kill me

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
LINKY So I did a little looking for myself. And I found this guy talking about what he thinks it is. And its pretty dang convincing. Heres the link so you can check it out and read it. I'm going to dig a bit more and see what I can find.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I get the sense this is a purely electrical phenomena.

When did this effect begin to happen? How old are those electical lines and transformers? If someone would be brave enough or perhaps bring some equipment with you... like a conductive extendable pole with insulation for your hand as well as a connected wire and conductive stake to wedge into the ground to well, ground the phenomena to prevent possible electricution or other hazardous effects. When traveling down the road when the effect is taking place is there a snapping, sparking, or buzzing sound in the air? Are any of the transformers making a buzzing or humming noise (this is part of what I suspect the phenomena to be apart of)?

From the paulding light website:

"When it started to get closer to us it would vanish and start all over again each time moving towards us faster and FASTER!"

Does anyone get the feeling this is something like a jacobs ladder?

Perhaps this is something about electromagnetism that we just don't understand yet, I would love to see this tested. Maybe even add some sort of franklin bell aparatus to the grounding equipment to confirm if its an electical phenomena or not?

I would love to go out their one day and test these theories out!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
For those who aren't so far north, there's This. The "Hornet Spooklight" sounds a lot like the paulding light and from the videos that I've seen, it looks a lot like it too. This one is not quite a reliable as the Paulding light but can be seen most nights. The same types of theories about what it is have come up over the years but there is documented accounts of this thing long before the advent of automobiles, so the "car headlights" theory can't completely account for it.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This story definitely has my interest as well. I am baffled by it. If they fully ruled out automobile headlights, the only other thing I could imagine would be atmospheric reflection of headlights or searchlights farther away. Like a mirage effect? Either way it is intriguing. I made a separate post where I linked to the investigation video:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 16-8-2010 by kadyr80]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
As to what's actually causing it, I personally don't think it's anything really paranormal. Just some strange atmospheric condition - possibly a sort of "mirage" of the sun (technically possible although unlikely) - or maybe someone out on some hill who finds it funny to shine a spotlight in that direction every night.

But I think it's absurd when people make fools out of themselves by trying to attribute things like this (stationary lights) to things are ordinary as cars / planes flying by. It's as absurd as people claiming that lights darting back and forth in the sky are just planets or satellites.

It's like some people just hear "light in the distance" (Paulding light) or "moving lights in the sky" (UFOs) and their brain totally blocks out the other important details like "completely stationary and blindingly bright from a distance" (Pauldine light) or "darting back and forth like no aircraft could" (UFOs).

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This 'phenomenon' is pretty interesting! I too saw it on Paranormal Files: Fact Or Fiction (great show). The only confusion I have is: where is the light's supposed location? Is it floating above the trees? On the road the investigators were on? I'm sorry if this was previously mentioned, but I am just curious.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I saw the same episode and realized that I remembered hearing about these light as child while reading some ghost story book.

Anyway, I went online today and looked at the area on google earth. And it pretty much seems to me that this is a simple case of headlights and taillights from cars on highway 45.

If you look you will see that from the Paulding Lights viewing area due north (where the lights come from) is a straight line view all the way to Bruce Crossing. Bruce Crossing is only 12 miles away and when traveling south on Hwy 45 you are pointing straight at the viewing area for nearly 9 miles before it turns more east and out of direct line. In fact the highway then turns back west and goes behind the viewing area.

Since the land has been cleared for the old road and the powerlines and then for the highway it makes sense that you would be able to see down that road especially when you take a look of a topo map and realize that the highway is either level on with the viewing or higher than the viewing area.

And anyone who has been driving out at night where they can see for miles and miles will know that you in fact can see car headlights very bright and large from miles away.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

And anyone who has been driving out at night where they can see for miles and miles will know that you in fact can see car headlights very bright and large from miles away.

Not that bright, and it's always in a line anyway if there's lots of cars. If it's just a single car, if it's bright enough to see at all, it's clearly a tiny pinpoint moving along.

Then again maybe that's what the pauldine lights look like, I've never been there myself.

And it pretty much seems to me that this is a simple case of headlights and taillights from cars on highway 45.

I don't remember what highway they shut down in the TV show, but if it's highway 45 then your theory would immediately be debunked.

Even if it was a possibility, then why is it the light suddenly appears, rather than a few light pinpoints at dawn (the few drivers who turn their lights on early) gradually over hours getting brighter to the point it gets instantly.

In any case, I don't understand why someone doesn't just take a nice telescope out there and point it at the light, and see where it's coming from. Then if it is cars, or anything else, it should be quickly revealed by the telescope.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by ac500]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
this thing is not FAKE at all .. i've gone 2 times in my life . ( i grew up in WI) i loved how it would come from a distance and when it got close i remember it changing colors and moving all over the place and suddenly disappear and come back just like before . over and over my friend who thought this was b.s was amazed and for the first time knowing him 10+ years i knew he could not explain . in the pic. and i went during the winter . we walked down to the river which is about 100yds from where the cars are parked . You can't see it at all . when you walk back WHAM! there it is .. I remember Unsolved Mysteries having a show about this .. THIS ISN"T FAKE i really have no clue what this is .. But I love it. Thanks for posting this !

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrakeDarc
LINKY So I did a little looking for myself. And I found this guy talking about what he thinks it is. And its pretty dang convincing. Heres the link so you can check it out and read it. I'm going to dig a bit more and see what I can find.

Thanks for the link. Seems pretty conclusive to me...
Also while looking around I found others who have used telescopes and binoculars to see that the lights are coming from vehicles.

Also now some locals claim that sure people are seeing headlights now but that is only because the real light has shown up in more than three years.

Oh okay.

Anyway I agree with the poster on your link. It still seems like a pretty cool place to chillout for the evening, enjoy the area and try to spook yourself. Even you do believe it is only car headlights.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ac500

I don't believe it was highway 45 they shut down, I think it was the old country road just north. I think they might call it OLD hwy 45. And they certainly didn't shut any road down for more than 9 miles! Like I said you have a straight view all the way to Bruce Crossing 12 miles away.

And yes, when you take into effect atmospheric conditions you can see ONE headlight very large and very bright from miles away. If you have ever driven on a mountain top where you can see a highway clearly or even the desert at night you will see this very easily.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
On the TV program, they tried to re-create the lights while flying in a small plane, they tried the lights of a vehicle, nothing worked.. What they didn't try, and I wondered why during the program, is, when the lights finally appeared, why didn't they have a helicopter standing by. They could have flown towards the light. Maybe this has already been done before, but we didn't see on TV before... I want to see them fly towards the light, with camera rolling, and find out what it is once and for all... and furthermore, approach this light from several different angles, in case of movement. OR, could it be that nobody wants to know for sure what the lights are?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join