It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks says it won't be threatened by Pentagon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

WikiLeaks says it won

news.yahoo.com

STOCKHOLM – WikiLeaks will publish its remaining 15,000 Afghan war documents within a month, despite warnings from the U.S. government, the organization's founder said Saturday.

The Pentagon has said that secret information will be even more damaging to security and risk more lives than WikiLeaks' initial release of some 76,000 war documents.

"This organization will not be threatened by the Pentagon or any other group," Julian Assange told reporters in Stockholm. "We proceed cautiously and safely with this material."

In an interview with The Associated Press, he said that if U
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-8-2010 by bigbomb456]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Much sooner than I expected. I wonder exactly what else the remaining documents reveal about our presence in Afghanistan. Also, in the face of the "Insurance" file, I wonder what else wikileaks has hiding up their sleeve. Assange is rumored to have stated that the really explosive stuff will be released towards the end of the year.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
pentagon giving threats only confirms that these documents are genuine.
i expect the pentagon will do something soon.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I hope so!!!!!!!!!

I also wonder about recent media reports that state wikileaks has lost support, I've seen them on Fox News and CNN, yet I have yet to actually speak to a single person who does not support the release of the information.

I understand that some info needs to be kept quite, ongoing investigations, future moves, etc. Where I find the problem is that it would our government (probably every government) not only hides info that needs to hidden, but information that demonstrates their own criminal activity. That is not national security, it is obstruction of justice for self preservation.

As they say, what's done in the dark will always come to light, and baby let the light shine

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
I understand that some info needs to be kept quite, ongoing investigations, future moves, etc.

Any government that operates in any degree of secrecy is ripe for corruption, misuse and subtle overthrow.

There are other solutions for the handling of investigations and plans.

I applaud Wikileaks.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
i expect that if the pentagon doesn't get its way after the threats it will be too late for it to ignore wikileaks to give the position that it doesn't take it seriously.
it can't take aggresive action because that will confirm whats on the documents.
it will be fought with national security laws.
this may actually lead to the end for wikileaks or even unknown government control of it.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by listerofsmeg]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Loss of support makes absolutely no difference to the validity or effect of the releases.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm not too fond of empires i must say.

The Pentagone says if wiki leaks then wiki reeks (applaude me, thank you) but i couldn't care less. In fact i'll spread the word around each & every day.As long as these leaks hurt the big "P" feelings and decisions i'm ok with that.

Now i want the juicy stuff

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
pentagon giving threats only confirms that these documents are genuine.

Yes, I'd have to agree. But on the other hand, why would the pentagon fan the flames when it would be much easier to just let wikileaks be obscure, at least in the mainstream media? The pentagon has to know this and that is exactly the reason why I question whether wikileaks is somehow associated with the CIA.

I'm surprised that the government even acknowledged wikileaks publicly in the first place...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Don't see why you are surprised, its the proverbial elephant in the war room.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wikileaks can't be obscure in this case because too many armies are involved in Afghanistan, not just the USA. They couldn't just say, "Oh lets not make a big deal of this, let's sweep it under the carpet". The whole world is watching and would bring it to the attention of America through the media and the internet, there's no escape.

The fact that they are making a big noise about it, I think, tells you exactly how annoyed they are about it. The government does not like having its toes stepped on and it shows more and more every day with each ridiculous threat they make to Wikileaks. Pride comes before a fall.

I also bet there are a few allied governments around the world sweating just now because my guess would be that it's not just the US military that have hidden all this kind of stuff from us. Maybe it's just that this time, they are the ones who have been exposed.

And I bet other governments are sitting back and watching, and taking note of how the Americans are dealing with the fallout, so that they can form their own PR plans incase it happens to them.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
My only concern is for Julian. He is a human just like the rest of us with the gift of life and love. If he releases the documents, it would mean he is ready for the backlash, and the backlash will be terrible. TPTB had not even bothered to spare the highly popular President JFK, so who is Julian to them?

No precious human life should be sacrificed. The truth will surfaced, one day or another, one way or another.

Julian, if by chance you are reading this, stand back. What you revealed is enough. Keep that insurance for your safety till your time is naturally up on Earth.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

So what you are saying is that there should be no secrets in the govt? We should publish everything freely, openly, no matter how sensitive?

well then lets get started by publishing the go-codes for the nuclear missiles. Make sure they are posted up as soon s they are refreshed. Lets start publishing the encrypted signals our satellites use. Lets just put everything out there in the open! All of our troop strengths, movements, technology. Our defense secrets. Hows about we show every single undercover agent working in the US and around the world, their names, addresses, phones. How about showing the faces of undercover police officers that run anti-gang taskforces? No secrets right? Then we all can feel better about ourselves about how "transparent" we are and without secrets! I'm sure our enemies and badguys worldwide will be thrilled!

But hey lets keep dismantling secrecy! How about you publish your credit card numbers, SS#, passwords, bank routing numbers, bank account numbers, oh what else. Maybe your password to your computer? No one should keep secrets from anyone! If you are keeping your credit card numbers secret (and their expiration dates) from me, then you must have something to hide! We all should know everything about you in the spirit of transparency!

Will you feel better than or have I gone too far? Or is this what you think out govt should do to make you feel better? Cause what I asked you to do, is precisely what YOU are asking them to do.

[edit on 8/14/2010 by GenRadek]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yawn.

Wikiwho? Oh yeah, those people who keep promising "bombshells", yet keep delivering "yesterdays news".

What they have released is condemning, but not one is surprised by it, and it is not causing any change. Up till now, it seems like lots of advertising for hardly any show.

I have no opinion on WL. Yet. But if they don't begin to live up to their own billing, i sure will develop an opinion.

As it stands, i am apt to just label them as "media", and ignore them.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The Pentagon is using it's influence over at Fox to turn the tide of public opinion against wikileaks. I don't think it's going to work though.

Look this isn't WW2, this invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan is all about greed. There is no nobility in this war. Publish the docs and let's see how corrupt it is.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This Wikileaks is a menace. It was created by the Government to make sure that they have a just reason to shut down the Internet as we know it and limit our flow of information.

Please stop supporting this fool. He is a puppet of the US. Make no mistake this will come back to haunt us all.

top topics

join