It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive new images unearthed of British nuclear bomb testing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by neil wilkes

Originally posted by bigbomb456
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

It's funny that she would commission their use on Argentina....of all places.

She wouldn't.
Mutually Assured Destruction kept the peace.

Yep but the capability was clearly demonstrated when we flew our Vulcan's down there and bombed the begeebies out of the runway they had captured at Port Stanley on the Falkland isles (Black Buck operation)... At the time these 8,000 mile bombing missions were the longest in history and they clearly demonstrated that we could drop bombs on them should we so choose... And that could easily (in principle) been the old bucked of sunshine.

That would have sent shivers up any Argentinians spine, and it worked because no nuke was deployed, all that really happened was that we put on a great show of how to put holes in a runway from 8,000 miles away.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jkwashere13

The UK absolutely still has them and they have also just put forward a plan to update the Trident nuclear deterrent, which was the subject of much controversy during the last election.

I doubt the UK will ever give up their nuclear weapons, however if they did most likely they would just house US weapons here instead. They had previously based US weapons here, but the last of them were withdrawn in June 2008. 110 air-launched B61 gravity bombs were removed from RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk.

This was due to the Us changing it's tactical nuclear positions to concentrate on southern Europe.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Thanks! I have always wondered this myself. Always see the X smoke and was never really explained properly on the TV Shows and what not. Makes sense. Nuclear detonations are amazing to look at, for lack of better description. Maybe fascinating would fit better.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by arcnaver

I totally agree, of all the weapons on the planet nuclear detonations are particularly awe inspiring. This does not mean we like the idea of them, only that we have a morbid fascination with them. Just like when you can't take your eyes off a tragic event as it unfolds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join