It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive new images unearthed of British nuclear bomb testing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Explosive new images unearthed of British nuclear bomb testing

www.dailymail.co.uk

Never-before-seen images of nuclear tests undertaken in Australia in the 1950s have been revealed.
They were taken by a Tyneside member of the RAF and amateur photographer John Alfred Milsom.

The striking images have been stored for decades among the possessions of the late Sgt Milsom, who witnessed the moment the bombs were detonated.

Discovered by his daughter Janette Hoyles, from Dunston, Gateshead, she said: 'I remember him saying they were told to stand in a circle with their backs to the site of the explosion.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Photographs of the development of Britain's nuclear deterrent. A stark reminder that the UK along with the majority of Western Nations have developed these horrific weapons and even tested them.

I have visited the Imperial War Museum in Manchester where there is a mock British nuclear weapon issued during the Falklands War era. Beside the weapon was a diagram describing the effect such a weapon would have if detonated in the centre of Manchester. This was truly terrifying as it completely consumed the city, but the damage also spread as far as North Wales, and the fallout? Even further a field.

It was a real indication for me if these weapons were ever used there is no escape. The US and the Russians both have much larger weapons in service than the UK.

It is interesting to also note that Margaret Thatcher allegedly commissioned the use of such weapons on Argentina. The plan was later thankfully withdrawn.

www.bluelight.ru...

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
just thought I would put them up for easier veiwing

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

It's funny that she would commission their use on Argentina....of all places.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

Thankyou for that I really appreciate it. One of these days I will have to learn how to do it.

Plus avoiding the Daily Mail website is never a bad thing!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
What are the streaks of smoke in the sky from? I remember someone explaining, but I can't remember....

Also, I hope the pommies paid for the cleanup, not my taxes.

Also, I wonder what the site is like now? Are you allowed to visit?

[edit on 14/8/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I think they are to take thermal measurements, I can't remember how though. Will look it up and reply!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks for posting these BRL, it only leaves it to the imagination at what pictures or other evidence may still be held by these ex-soldiers. I bet theres all sorts of stuff out there, that we at ATS would love to browse through.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Here you go;

Several years later this phenomenon was put to use with the aid of smoke rockets launched from the ground seconds before the detonation. This created an vertical array of reference lines against which the progress of the shock front could be photographed.

nuclearweaponarchive.org...

To measure the resultant shockwave apparently.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I like the XXX effect, hope lots of people die this way, I mean by accident or technical problem.

Killed by their own bomb - priceless.

No. not directed to anyone, take it generally.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bigbomb456

Why is it funny we where at war with them at the time.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Found some interesting info about the original inhabitants of the site. It would appear that the British government relocated Aboriginals from an area about the size of greater London.

However even after the tests had begun some of the natives continued to walk through the area. The result was severe health problems as you can imagine, for these aboriginals and eventually they sought legal representation to sue the government. They also took legal action to press them to carry out adequate clean up operations. Shocking that they even had to...

It would appear that the health effects were not felt by the aboriginals alone, as members of the RAAF also development severe thyroid problems and health defects as a result of exposure.

The Australian members of the team had not been prepped in appropriate protective clothing, and often attended the tests in shorts and T-shirt. Meanwhile their more experienced British counterparts had full protective gear on at all times.

Now, Aboriginal groups and veterans affected by the blasts plan to have their day in court. A group, so far consisting of 250 people, are suing the British Ministry of Defense for the range of cancers, deformities and trauma that has been caused by radiation exposure.

www.globalpost.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Here is a short documentary about some of the survivors. The actual footage of the explosion in the OP article, takes place at 1.00 and 2.00 minutes in.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

To answer your earlier query it would appear the area is now safe for visitors after the extensive cleanup operations taking place between 1996 and 2000.

The Project surpassed the standards set at its inception. Most of the former Maralinga test site (approximately 3,200 square kilometres) is now safe for unrestricted access. As a precautionary measure, approximately 120 square kilometres is considered safe for access but not permanent occupancy.

www.ret.gov.au...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

You've been a busy boy lately!

That's some cool pics, but the story just shows how governments test all kinds of things, without knowing, or caring about the consequences.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

I have four weeks off so my time is being primarily spent on ATS

Nowehere else I'd rather spend it!

Absolutely I think the story in particular shows the lack of care for their own personel. The fact that they were not all equipped with proper protective clothing is just shocking. It's not like they weren't aware of the effects, as by this point they were well documented!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by shmo5

Just the abounding rumors of Post-War Nazi Penetration into Argentina (more specifically around the San Carlos de Bariloche region). But nvm.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigbomb456

It's funny that she would commission their use on Argentina....of all places.

She wouldn't.
It is yet more nonsensical propaganda, doubtless from the loony left.
Loathe them or fear them, these weapons assured that there was not a world war 3 in the 60's, which if they did not exist would have happened.
Make no mistake, Mutually Assured Destruction kept the peace.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neil wilkes

There were indeed nuclear weapons on British subs in the war. Whether they would have been used is another matter.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
However even after the tests had begun some of the natives continued to walk through the area. The result was severe health problems as you can imagine, for these aboriginals and eventually they sought legal representation to sue the government.

It's kinda like that movie the Hills Have Eyes. The government wanted to use a mining town for nuclear testing but the miners didn't leave so they nuked 'em anyways. But, y'know, a little different.

Does anyone know if Britain still has them? I believe they signed the NPT so I doubt it but hey, look at Isreal.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by jkwashere13]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join