It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by mattifikation
I gotta admit, I was choked out by somebody at a party once - we were goofing around wrestling - and euphoric is definitely the word I would use to describe the feeling. You would think something like that would seriously suck, but no...
You kind of wake up feeling like you're being ripped out of heaven.
An eleven-year-old boy is dead because he played a game we've reported on before. Many kids are not grasping how deadly it can be. They call it "The Choking Game", "Pass Out" and other names, but what it should be called is dangerous and crazy.
This is so scary because it could happen to any child, even good and smart kids. Brandon Stine was warned about this game, but he didn't listen. Now, his parents are hoping somebody else's child will.
"I just thought we would be best friends forever and he'd always be there for me, and I just never thought in a million years something like this would happen," said Brian Stine, Brandon's father.
However, on Sunday afternoon, they didn't know it, but their lives would take a drastic turn when Brandon's little brother walked into his bedroom and he was dead.
Brandon's mom and dad are feeling the kind of pain that cannot be put into words. Their family will never be the same again.
The loss they're suffering is still so raw it just doesn't seem real, especially when they think about how Brandon died playing the "Pass Out Game". The goal -- to stop the blood flow to the brain. Some kids play this with friends, others alone like Brandon.
"He promised me up and down that 'Mom, I would never do anything that stupid,'" Jenny Stine said.
Brandon's family is only speaking out so soon after his death because they can't stand to see someone else hurt the way they do. They know lots of kids are doing this, and they are begging them to stop.
"You need to talk to your kids over and over again, and check on them constantly and look for signs," said Jenny Stine.
Young people also need to understand that every time this game is played, you are destroying brain cells, not to mention the risk of permanent brain damage, seizures, memory loss or broken bones.
Originally posted by DangerMonkey
Whatever happened to just smoking a J and listening to loud rock music?
When did asphyxiation become part of the plan? What a bloody awful shame.
Originally posted by duality90
These kids are playing this absolutely stupid game to get 'high's because we as a society have completely castrated our youth of any trust or responsibility whatsoever and have forced them to live in a false world where those under the age of 21 are considered to be such an enormous danger to themselves that we cannot allow them to do anything which is intrinsically fun, albeit mildly risky, behavior.
These kids are doing this because they are extremely bored living in a society which has denied them any opportunity to have normal fun and grow up educated about the dangers of risky behavior. Instead we have decided to excise them from such risky behavior (such as mild alcohol consumption) altogether, whilst all along those over the age of 21 continue to partake in such frivolities right in front of their very eyes. Who can blame them for wanting to see if the grass is greener on the other side? We have denied them a view of the other side for so very long that it is only natural they will become curious.
Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Well, here's what happens when kids can't get a hold of relatively safe intoxicants such as marijuana.
All it takes is a cursory YouTube search to find dozens of videos depicting kids passing out after cutting off circulation to their brains.
Some use their bare hands. Some strangle themselves with a belt or rope. Others push on their chest or hyperventilate.
It’s really no game at all. It’s suffocating on purpose.
A dangerous "choking game" has become popular in Australian schoolyards, with children as young as 12 taking turns to asphyxiate each other for thrills.
The game has gained notoriety in the US where it has been blamed for 82 deaths among children since 1995, most recently last month's strangulation of a 12-year-old boy in Colorado.
Now Australian kids are also trying their hand at the dangerous pastime according to teenagers in Queensland, Victoria and New South Wales, who have told ninemsn the practice is widespread.
'This [choking] is hardly a game — it's quite disturbing," he said. "These things are regrettable but teachers are always available to help."
According the American Medical Association, 86 percent of the 82 children thought to be killed by the choking game in the US were boys, with an average age of 13.3.
But the number of victims could be higher given death certificates do not distinguish between choking game and other strangulation deaths, said the AMA report, which was published in March this year.
This month a survey of high school students in Ontario, Canada, found 79,000 students — or 7 percent — had taken part in the game, according to the Toronto Star.
Twelve-year-old Josh Swaggerty died in Bayfield, Colorado, on April 16 after he apparently wrapped a belt around his neck while mimicking the game alone in his bedroom, the Durango Herald reported.'