It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Deaths Prompt Police Alert Over 'Choking Game' (*Updated*)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Our children have too much time on their hands, are too spoiled, don't have to struggle (in a moderate manner) to survive, are given far too much, AND should be working part time and NOT watching TV, hanging out with friends, chatting on phones etc!

It is the fault of parents that such children behave in such a moronic fashion without using their own thinking capacity. Parents need to take CONTROL of their foolish young people.

The young should be WORKING and SUPERVISED as the majority of young people are sadly, easily led fools!

Successive governments have ensured this kind of behaviour by making children powerless and poor. Teenagers should have more supervision than toddlers.

I should know as I have enough experience with children to tell you that they must be watched like a hawk.

My eldest son, now left home and settled down.. (thank God) was constantly sneaking girls into the house and going to their houses for sex. I gave up work to keep an eye on that FOOL! On the worst occassion his girlfriend came into the house and ran straight upstairs to his bedroom with barely an hello. Several minutes later I calmly went upstairs walked into his room. Found her in his bed. I gave them both some 'home truths' which caused them both to cry uncontrollably and they both fled up the road still crying. Calm direct and pointed observation about behaviour work much better than an angry confrontation and being told calmly exactly what you are and what your behaviour makes you works wonders!

My son NEVER brought a girl into his bedroom again!

The main cause of stupid behaviour is NOT WORKING and children should be required to work, for money NOT for Free, for at least three hours a day after school. This would give them some independence and self respect and tire them out!

They would be exhausted and happy to sit on their backsides and rest!

They certainly would not have time to choke themselves or engage in any other stupidity!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by pathwalker

and i would almost go as far as to say they are making a massive deal out of this knowing at lest 50% of all kids this is taught to by telling them not to do it. will do it . so increasing the death toll of kids.

Great point. In fact that's what led me to posting this.
I read the article and after went to You Tube and saw sooo many pages about this, I was floored. From there I thought - well - the words out there - now kids are going to try it - so - might as well post a thread just in case.

But you're right. Some kid might read about this here on ATS, try it, and die.

What's the lesser of the evils? I chose making the post.

Thanks a lot for your input though.

Reminds me of a movie named 'Never Cry Wolf', based on a true story of a man who investigates a family of white wolves in Alaska.
He loves them and lives with them, even eats like them (mice) to prove a large carnivore can stay alive solely on mice. (In order to prove the wolves are not responsible for the decline in the number of caribo).
Inadvertently he calls attention to the white wolves and gets them shot and killed.
Ok, so I've given you the *spoiler* but it's worth a watch, and, goes right along with your point.

peace

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

As for your comparing the death of two beautiful teenage girls to the idiocy of adults paying gross amounts of cash to buy coffee beans mellowed by the intestinal juices of a wild civet before being expelled from their rectum?

Check it again. I did not compare the deaths of two girls to coffee. I compared two stories that often appear on a slow news day.

That's fine though and you made a fair point: maybe enough people don't know enough about the choking game and should be made aware. So star and flag for helping more become aware....

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

i was going to reply to this but there is so much to say about trying to raise kids in this society, specially if the parent is part of it at all. for the whole system of trained thought destroys who and what we are that makes us human. greed lust money. lack of having what you need for things that make you cool.. the trained acceptance of poisons and chemicals. of using things and not caring that what your taking part of is destroying your rivers ect. we as a human. used to care about our land and our environment. now we dump wastes in our rivers. work for companys that destroy the lands around our homes. let our kids be taught by tv.s and schools that dumb everyone down. what do really expect kids to turn into. REALLY. and what future do you think they will have .. to work for a corporation to eat and drink poisons . basically to take it up the butt everyday and say hey i have the new ipad i am cool lol.

i am adding this// this was a rant i have because i care about what is happening to the kids in this world,, and i am ashamed of what i am leaving for them,, i had to learn what i was doing to my part of the world on my own ,, and i felt i figured it out to late, wish i had a teacher to show me the real way when i was young.. no offense intended to anyone just a rant

[edit on 14-8-2010 by pathwalker]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I sometimes wonder if kids are just getting dumber or we are teaching them to be dumber.

I knew how to play this game when I was seven. That was three plus decades ago folks. We did it by breathing helium baloons until we fell out and had the added bonus of talking like chipmunks for a few seconds. We got dizzy fell down and then went and found some other nonsense to get into.

No bruises, ropes, strangulation, corpses hanging for their parents to find....

How these people decided that hanging themselves was a good Idea I'll never know. A kindergardener could teach them all a thing or two about the difference between inadvisable and fatal.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
"Ball tapping" and now a choking game, great names your making for yourself younger generation...

I suppose most kids don't see people with epilepsy having seizures. It's a horrible disease, and life destroying when epilepsy can't be controlled. And these guys are asking for seizures for fun, and enjoy seeing their buds having seizures.

Just fantastic... young kids must not know what "fear" is, but hey, God bless their naivette.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If you're a 15 year old kid and you die choking yourself for kicks, I can't help but think that an early death was bound to happen anyway. Any loss of life is a bad thing, but it's probably fortunate that they died this way rather than in some other dramatic fashion, potentially taking out innocent folks with them.

Tremendous stupidity.

Darwin, baby.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Monger]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Nventual

Don't think it's anywhere near as common as the news likes to make out.
More sensational news to keep people in fear.

Normally I would agree with you, but, in this case these two teens just died and as nothing can be as traumatic to a parent as loosing a child

I can think of something more traumatic than a parent losing a child - a parent losing a child because said child decided that it would be wise to choke himself to death for a 'high' and then having that information splashed all over the international media.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'll just say one thing, hanging oneself is relatively different from chocking myself with my bare hands.

I think the intention was different.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Yowch. There must be some kind of inbreed knowledge that all kids are born with, that keeps this game going. When I was in fourth grade (a VERY long time ago) a version of this was going around that we called "Knock Out". You would kneel down and scrunch yourself up into a very tight ball, and breath in and out very fast about 50 times. Then as you jumped up, another kid would squeeze you around the solar plexus very hard, and you would just ........black out.

The last time I did it, we were in my basement after school, using the spare mattress down there as a safety mat. We each gave it a couple of rounds. The last time, I instantly completely out . Came to what must have been a few seconds later, with a nauseating, pounding headache, and my friends looking very scared. I had absolutely no idea where I was, or what time it was. That was it. We at least had enough common sense back then to be done with the fad.

Oh yeah, shortly after that, another kid had an incident in the bathroom at school. Some fifth graders were playing it during recess, and a boy passed out and smashed both of his knee-caps on the cement floor. Our teacher had a talk with us after that.

None of us however, no matter how goofy, would have been stupid enough to try this with a rope or belt around our necks. There is just something missing in kid's heads these days.

On a lighter note: another fad that WAS really cool, was turning out the lights in the bathroom, and playing MARY WORTH in the mirror! That's another fun memory though....

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
what is actually causing the high ... is more '___' produced by the brain when this deprivation of oxygen occurs .... what is the actual high ??? sorry if its already been said.

[edit on 14/8/10 by King Loki]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I use to do this when I was a kid. I've done it about 20 times. The last time I did it I was standing up. My friends couldn't hold me up and I fell and smacked my head. I got a severe concusion and couldn't see out of one eye for a week. Not to mention the worte headache I've ever expericanced.

This game is nothing new. I took part in it over 20 years ago. I can see how it can be dangerous now but when your a kid you think your gonna live forever.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Just the gene pool cleansing itself folks. Nothing to see here!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I remember doing something like this at school but it was something along the lines of breathing really hard and then having someone push up your rib cage (i can't remember exactly. I remember having a dream or trip of some sort, quite a strange experience.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have seen this done years ago. I will not mention where because it was at one of the safest places you would think to send your kids. All I am going to say is that it doesn't matter how protective you are, kids will be kids (or in my case, boys will be boys).

We didn't call it a game. It was just something people were doing. I never participated, because I was a "wimp." It just never seemed appealing to me. The idea is to cut off blood circulation to the brain by putting pressure on arteries to the brain.

That's also the idea behind non-lethal chokes taught by the military. If you cut off the blood circulation to the brain then you can quickly take down the subject. People will have different reactions to this maneuver, like the article explains.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Styki]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Somebody should have warned David Carridine..from kung fu to hung fool.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I regret to inform you, but I think that this sort of thing is itself the direct product of what has been our society's attempt to eradicate, demonize, and criminalise the use of alcohol and drugs (this part of my statement will shock people, but please, read on and I shall explain) by our youth since drinking first became a real issue of taboo after it the national minimum-drinking age was raised to 21 in 1984.

I will first discuss the issue as regards drugs. I believe wholeheartedly that society is responsible in dissuading the use of drugs which are intrinsically harmful to those who use them; people will cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war and say 'the gov't has no right to regulate what I do with my body', but I think most people would agree that we should not legalise the use or possession of crystal meth in the interests of a more 'free' society.

What I do think should be discussed however is the fact that drugs in general, and in particular marijuana, are demonized to such an absurd extent that most youth are left with no actual or real education about drugs and then go on to experiment by themselves. If we told the truth about marijuana, we wouldn't be convicting 850,000 people a year of criminal offenses which are so minor in their net effect on society that I honestly believe the moniker 'criminal' is a wanton overstepping of government's bounds. We do not bother educating children and youth with the facts on drugs; we decide instead that it is better to tell them that if you even look at drugs, your genitals will fall off and you will die in some alley, fellating an old man to pay for your habit. Although that is invariably true in some cases (the latter part, anyways), realistically this is just not the case with most drug use, notably marijuana use. We should inform our kids of the facts about drugs. Perhaps then they would understand why it is improper and dangerous to use them, rather than tell them a pack of lies which then lead them to experiment to discover the truth about drugs.

Furthermore then, we get on to the issue of alcohol consumption and the culture surrounding it in this country. Perhaps if we allowed our children even the tiniest sliver of responsibility and trust and educated them about the use of alcohol and other substances to alter their consciousness, perhaps introducing a few sips of wine here and there at the table at the ages of 15 upwards (as we do in Europe), the youth's innate desire to revolt against authority might be quelled somewhat. These kids are playing this absolutely stupid game to get 'high's because we as a society have completely castrated our youth of any trust or responsibility whatsoever and have forced them to live in a false world where those under the age of 21 are considered to be such an enormous danger to themselves that we cannot allow them to do anything which is intrinsically fun, albeit mildly risky, behavior.

These kids are doing this because they are extremely bored living in a society which has denied them any opportunity to have normal fun and grow up educated about the dangers of risky behavior. Instead we have decided to excise them from such risky behavior (such as mild alcohol consumption) altogether, whilst all along those over the age of 21 continue to partake in such frivolities right in front of their very eyes. Who can blame them for wanting to see if the grass is greener on the other side? We have denied them a view of the other side for so very long that it is only natural they will become curious.

Although this tragic event will undoubtedly only lead to more parental oversight, perhaps it might be worthwhile to just, for one solitary moment, think about how things could be different if we raised our children and instilled in them a slightly greater sense of trust and responsibility. Perhaps if we did, such desire to act out and do crazy things to rebel against their parents might be sated and tragedies like this could be prevented.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
As far as one of the videos, I find it odd that the one kid would have such an effect from a lack of oxygen. The brain can go without oxygen for more than 3-5 minutes and not have permanent brain damage. And even if higher brain functioning goes, the brain stem is not affected so breathing/heart beat would be normal. So physiologically, why would he stop breathing for that long? I wonder if this activity can produce strokes or something. More likely that he hit his head rather than the damage being from oxygen deprivation imo.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

And even if higher brain functioning goes, the brain stem is not affected so breathing/heart beat would be normal.

It's not so much the lack of oxygen as the stimulation to the large arteries in the neck.

When the kids 'friend' has the heels of the hands pressed into the neck, the fingers wrapping around from there, what I believe is happens is the carotid artery is being stimulated in a negative way.

I learned about this two ways. One, paramedic school, two, watching people fall off stationary bikes at the gym.
They'd be peddling away for a while, reach up to check their pulse in their neck (something you should never do while working out by the way), not find the pulse directly (they wouldn't stop peddling and their fingers would be jerking around) - inadvertently they'd 'massage' their carotid artery, and flop to the ground like beached tunas.

Here's a Wiki Definition of what I refer to.

The carotid sinus can be oversensitive to manual stimulation, a condition known as carotid sinus hypersensitivity, carotid sinus syndrome or carotid sinus syncope, in which manual stimulation causes large changes in heart rate and/or blood pressure.

Carotid sinus syndrome is a temporary loss of consciousness that sometimes accompanies convulsive seizures because of the intensity of the carotid sinus reflex when pressure builds in one or both carotid sinuses.
(my bold)

And no, don't try this at home, lol.

peace

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I am all for saving lives but some people are just too stupid to live.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join