It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Destruction of My Generation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
We all know that times are rough for many. But I wanted to give you a picture of my generation.

My generation was born between 1975 and 1985. Now we are 25 or older. We were raised by the 60's generation and we were spoiled. Our classes in government education were a joke, we learned about how important our self-esteem was, we learned that all people are equal, we learned very little about math or science.

Our parents made a ton of money in the 90's. While we attended high school and college. We graduated in the mid 2000's thinking we could run the world. We worked hard and got a massive mortgage because we were told that investing in property was the safest thing we could do.

Now most of us are in foreclosure and looking for work. The America Dream rug pulled out from beneath us. Now we look around and realize that we live in a police state with very limited future. My generation will become known as the lost generation. Poorly educated, and spoiled we were ill prepared for the adversity we face and will continue to face. I hope that my generation will stand strong and take this government back, but I have my doubts. We are paying the price for our parents failures.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
And it was all part of the plan sir. The process of subversion and demoralization is going extremely smoothly in the U.S.A. Just took a couple of generations-worth of indoctrination.

Check out the videos of Yuri Bezmenov I posted here, you really should:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The entire interview is very good, it's an hourish if I remember. It's been a while. The videos with JR Nyquist are also pretty informative but I find Yuri more appropriate.

I'm at the very very edge of this generation. Born in 88. Just be glad you don't see how incredibly stupid many people younger than me are.
It's just getting worse.
The times are hitting me hard too, but we will survive.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Funny, I was born in '66 and I could identify, in theory with what you just said. I think the only difference is that I was raised to believe that the blame for lifes issues lies in the mirror and not with society in general.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
As a parent of a 25 and a 27 year old,allow me to apologize for our mistakes. Chances are,we had no idea just how bad the indoctrination was,since alot of the information available now on the internet wasn't available then. We still had some faith in "the system".

Our parents made mistakes,too,and so did theirs,and the ones before then. No one is without their share of regrets when looking back. We could have done a better job,but we like to think we did the best we could with what we had to work with. (Parents are people,too!) We aren't any more perfect than you are.

You are bright,and now you know what we have all come to learn over the last few years,and it really is discouraging. I feel awful about your generation not having the opportunities of the ones before you. The environment is in deep trouble,the food and water is toxic,everything you may have taken for granted,things we took for granted,is under assault!

If you're lucky,somewhere along the way you learned that material success is not the key to happiness. At some point,you learned that to overcome problems you had to dig deep down inside and see if you had the fortitude to carry on. You learned that in spite of your parents,or your employer,or any other person or thing,your attitude is something that only you can determine.

Please don't be resentful. Resentment will eat you alive. Look at it now that you are an adult,that we are all in this together,no matter how we got here. If you're going to be mad,a little "righteous indignation" at those Powers That Be that shaped this world would be more appropriate.

Your parents aren't going to be immune from the troubles ahead either

I hope you can forgive them and find something in life that gives you satisfaction,something that no one can take away from you. I hope you have a faith in something beyond this world that gives you hope for something better,and I hope you do all you can to make your world a better place with all that is in your power.

(Oh,and don't forget to say "Please" and "Thank You"! )

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well, that's the point. The only person responsible for you life is yourself and that is certainly the way I look at it, but many in my generation have been indoctrinated to expect the government to provide for them. But guess what I don't blame them. You know why, because I sat through the classes where teachers taught us that the government would defend and provide for us, etc. They were sold a bill of lies. T

We were lied to. Doesn't really bother me, but the less intelligent in my generation are so lost right now it is sad.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

On the Edge, Thank you for the post. Yes there is a positive in everything, I think that our generation will give our children a little more direction when it comes to their ability to provide for themselves and not just how they feel about there self-esteem.

I am certainly not resentful and I currently have a very well paying job despite this economy. Of course, I am in a foreclosure on the home I first bought but I will make it through this.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Our generation is already known as the lost generation, or generation x if you will. I was born in the late 70's and have no such ills that you described above. Of course I was a country boy, who had a ton of work and responsibility from an early age. I grew up thinking life was hard, could be a lot of fun, and ended up believing whole heartedly in the law of the farm- you reap what you sew. I am successful in that I have a family that I love, and a job that supports them. Notice how I didn't say I love my job

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

If I knew then what I know now,my children would have benefitted greatly.
Your children will have parents that will have learned alot the hard way,and hopefully they will benefit from your experience and the examples you set for them. You can teach them how things really are,and with any luck,you can keep them out of the indoctrination mills!

I'm glad you are not resentful,and it sounds like you are able to stand on your own two feet and learn whatever it is you need to know. You're in a far better place than many your age,because you can see the damage done and admit it sucks! That's empowering,actually!

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best! Keep learning to make up for what you lack,and keep seeing those positives!

P.S.
Have you seen this? I think you can relate!

Video: Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schooling
www.informationliberation.com...

[edit on 14-8-2010 by On the Edge]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Not so fast with the blame, thank you

Yes, your generation was spoiled

Yes, your generation was encouraged to believe you could all be brain surgeons, computer-analysts -- anything in fact, other than work up a sweat or touch anything heavier than a mouse

Yes, you ARE the sacrificed generation

Yes, your egos are immense

Yes, you were never told 'no'

Yes, your education was a farce

Yes, your dreams in many instances aren't worth a dime. BUT -- they weren't worth a time from the start. Dreams have no substance. They're ten a penny. They usually aren't realistic

But here's an alternative to the scenario you've painted:

My children are of the same generation as yourself

In Australia, in the 80s and the 90s, we were in recession -- the recession a Prime Minister-former Treasurer informed us we 'had to have'. So there were very few 'making a fortune' in Australia during the time you say Americans were rolling in it

Next, even though Australian education is pretty well dominated by ridiculous American theories, I stood firm and educated my kids to know the difference between fantasy and reality (on a par with the difference between eating vegetables and eating sugary treats, basically)

I made sure they understood that commercials existed not to inform or be of benefit to anyone other than manufacturers - and that tv programmes existed to hypnotise the viewer and render them receptive to the commercials. I made sure they understood that the Brady Bunch was a group of actors - were not real, no matter how much people wanted them to be 'real'

No, you can't have My Little Pony. Nor can you have Bikini Barbi. They're overpriced. I don't care if everyone else in class has them.

No, you can't go to McDonalds and Waterworld this weekend. This weekend I'll be mowing the grass and clipping the hedges and you'll be cleaning up the yard. Then, we'll go for a brisk walk down on the beach and if you're very good, you might even get an ice-cream and be allowed to stay up and watch a video

I don't care if all your friends are wearing $299.00 Nikes. I've told you how much Nike pays its workers. $299 for basically plastic buckets with a Nike symbol on the side is obscene and this family is not going to buckle under consumer pressure. If your friends ridicule you for not wearing idiot Nikes, then you need to find better friends

No, Large-Bank --- I dont NOT want a credit card with $5,000 on it. I do not want it. Do not contact me again. I only spend money I already own. Yes, old fashioned. But that way, you see, I'm not in debt to you. So get your damn claws out of me and go away

See, kids, in this family, we don't spend money that doesn't belong to us. Nor do we have a $40,000 four-wheel drive with personalised number plate. We drive our Honda -- our bought and paid for Honda. It takes us from A to Z, just like the unpaid-for car your friends' parents hoon around in. We can AFFORD our car. We didn't get until we COULD afford and pay for it. And THIS way, if I lose my job or break my neck, you won't be menaced by men with no-necks, coming around to take our car away. Because it's paid for. We dont' owe anyone a cent.

And so on. I made our clothes and drapes and recovered furniture myself. I painted the house myself. NO credit cards, no debt. Our home was paid for by 1988. Not a cent owing

Now my children are being pestered by the banks who want to advise them how to invest their savings. And they offer my kids platinum cards. Unsolicited. Like vultures. My children did learn from my example. They save. They don't borrow. They work hard. They're thrifty. They don't use credit cards. Their properties are paid in full.

Their education was a farce, no question. All about 'communication' and 'self esteem'. I used to suggest, when my children were in school, that we initiate a class-action against the education department for failing to deliver on that which they promised, i.e. a sound education. But non of the other parents were interested. They were happy just to have their kids off their hands and in school. And expected them to become brain-surgeons and engineers and fashion models. So I hired tutors for my kids, to help fill in the gaps, and I put hours each week into helping them with the endless and pointless 'assignments' which comprised at least 50% of the joke that was their education. Fortunately, they're well employed and natural intelligence has substituted -- in real life -- for the rubbish they were offered as 'education'

There are millions of parents like me who didn't indulge in excess and debt, rampant consumerism, etc. But it's become trendy amongst your generation, OP, to toss the blame onto the generation which came before.

People of your generation were encouraged (by sadists within the education departments) to 'decide what you want to be '. And of course, all those kids developed the belief that Life is all about what you want. My kids were a bit that way, until I told them over and over until it sank in, that Life is rarely about what we want and far more about what we GET. We deal with what Life hands us. That's what Life is. That's where Life goes. You just get on with it and do your best with it. That's how character and personality are formed.

Instead, people of the younger generations like to believe that people who earn their living slitting the throats of pigs or plucking the feathers off dead chickens at abbatoirs, do so because they 'chose that job '. NO. They did not choose it. Maybe they wanted to be fashion models and sports stars too, when they thought Life was all about them. But they woke up. They decided any job was better than no job at all. They decided that earning their keep was more admirable and better for their self esteem than living on welfare and off the backs of their tax-paying neighbours

OP, you behave as if the generation before you was handed Life on a silver platter. Why ? Is that what you've 'heard' ? Well, maybe you need to visit your local library's achives and research life in the 30's, the 40's, the 50's, the 60's and onwards. You'll discover that the generations before you didn't live on fast-food. Instead, they spent hours preparing the family meals from scratch. They didn't have the technological excesses considered 'usual' by today's generation (iPods, plasmas, sat-nav, wine on tap like water, luxury apartments, overseas travel etc). In fact, people received a wrist-watch for their 21st birthdays, or a fountain-pen set. A tv was a luxury .. tiny little black and white models, and required to be saved for, sometimes for years. The family car was a major outlay and many didn't have one. Clothing had to last and be handed down. People didn't have wall to wall carpeting or acres of imported tiles on their floors - they had worn lino and carpet squares. Washing machines were primitive and often dangerous. Few synthetic fabrics -- ironging for a family used to take all day. Air conditioning was virtually unheard of. Taking a family to the movies was a rare treat and usually had to be budgeted for

Many older people in the US continue to live that way. These are the people your generation are attempting to blame for what you consider your problems.

OP, put the blame where it belongs: (1) on the ridiculously high expectations of your own generation and (2) on the governments and their cronies the Big Banks, the outsourcing-manufacturers and others of that ilk

And then take a look at the calculations relating to rasing an average child from the age of zero to 18. The sum is said to be in the region of a quarter of a million dollars. If you had parents, then raising you to age 18 is where a big chunk of their life and earnings went

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I'm sorry to hear about all of your problems....I was born in 1980 and I must say that I live a very good life. I started investing in real estate at an early age and skipped the whole job thing. I'm very blessed for how my life has turned out so far and hope everyone nothing but the best moving forward.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DondeEsta?
Our generation is already known as the lost generation, or generation x if you will. I was born in the late 70's and have no such ills that you described above. Of course I was a country boy, who had a ton of work and responsibility from an early age. I grew up thinking life was hard, could be a lot of fun, and ended up believing whole heartedly in the law of the farm- you reap what you sew. I am successful in that I have a family that I love, and a job that supports them. Notice how I didn't say I love my job

DE, that's what is truly important isn't it. Family. Many in my generation have not been as lucky as you. While you appear to have been raised in a family first, agriculture family, many in my generation were raised by a company first family where the father figure has been forced to move cross multiple states to be maintain his income, this has fragmented the family beyond belief.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I can't speak for you OP, but I was born to middle class parents in 1984, and I saw how hard they worked just to stay above the poverty line. My father was a meat inspector and my mother is a nurse, yet she could have easily been a doctor had her family (one of her brother's went on to become a rich MD) supported her, and not embraced the "traditional" beliefs of their time.

They held onto the American dream that their parents passed down to them, all the while big brother and big business sold them out to the highest bidder. It was our parent's generation that first suffered the effects of this neo-America. Their parents were able to support even the largest of families (my mother was the eldest daughter of eight siblings) with just one person's income. Contrast that with the struggle the majority of our generation's parents went through just to keep a three or four person family afloat, and you can see that something went awry before they even had a foothold as adults.

You can slag off your parents if you wish, but I know full well that mine were honest hard working citizens who did their damnedest just to keep the dream alive.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge

...You can teach them how things really are,and with any luck,you can keep them out of the indoctrination mills!

I'm glad you are not resentful,and it sounds like you are able to stand on your own two feet and learn whatever it is you need to know. You're in a far better place than many your age,because you can see the damage done and admit it sucks! That's empowering,actually!...
[edit on 14-8-2010 by On the Edge]

Good point. Yes, not resentful at all, because as a fan of history I know other generations have had it much worse. I feel bad for others in my generation who are going through some of the things I have gone through, with little support system. I have a loving wife and most importantly now a decent job. By the way Bank of America can suck on my mortgage, you will never get another penny, foreclose if you want, you are the fourth company to buy my mortgage and most likely got it for pennies on the dollar.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
@Dock9......

Talk about a Debbie Downer!..LOL

You sound like a bitter old man! I'm not trying to attack you....I just want to know what went wrong in your life to make you sound so bitter?

I have dreams, and so far I have been following them. I didn't just dream....I took action and made them come true. I'm sorry that you could not make yours come true.

I was not spoiled, my parents are older than most people my age. My dad was born in 1936 and I was raised on the "earn your keep" mindset!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Funny, I was born in '66 and I could identify, in theory with what you just said. I think the only difference is that I was raised to believe that the blame for lifes issues lies in the mirror and not with society in general.

Ah another person aspiring to claim they know all and that
the ppl on wall street, the government, and corporations are
not corrupt and have no impact on anyone or the planet.

How very closed minded of you, the facts stand.

I guess it is all his fault they setup a giant derivatives ponzi scheme.

I guess it is all his fault the congress was bought off and shipped
all the jobs overseas OR shipped in cheap visa workers OR
left the border open for decades to drive down wages while the
cost of living went up and the buying power of the dollar went down.

You are just another opinion in a sea of opinions and when
things fall apart Wiemar style and your living under a bridge
I will tell you to look in the mirror.

You make me wanna puke.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Torgo

I can't speak for you OP, but I was born to middle class parents in 1984, and I saw how hard they worked just to stay above the poverty line. My father was a meat inspector and my mother is a nurse, yet she could have easily been a doctor had her family (one of her brother's went on to become a rich MD) supported her, and not embraced the "traditional" beliefs of their time.

They held onto the American dream that their parents passed down to them, all the while big brother and big business sold them out to the highest bidder. It was our parent's generation that first suffered the effects of this neo-America. Their parents were able to support even the largest of families (my mother was the eldest daughter of eight siblings) with just one person's income. Contrast that with the struggle the majority of our generation's parents went through just to keep a three or four person family afloat, and you can see that something went awry before they even had a foothold as adults.

You can slag off your parents if you wish, but I know full well that mine were honest hard working citizens who did their damnedest just to keep the dream alive.

Well that is my point exactly! Our parents generation busted there butts and then fell for the politicians hook line and sinker. They voted in politicians who where for sale to the highest bidding company.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

YES!

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

No, you implied in you're original post that the parents to this generation lived high off the hog all the while passing the bill onto us. My parent's might have bought into the lies of politicians, they were raised in a more honest time, but they were never rich, never greedy, and I don't for one second believe that it was their generation's fault for the mess we're in.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Torgo

No, you implied in you're original post that the parents to this generation lived high off the hog all the while passing the bill onto us. My parent's might have bought into the lies of politicians, they were raised in a more honest time, but they were never rich, never greedy, and I don't for one second believe that it was their generation's fault for the mess we're in.

Then how are we here?

Answer that.

Your parents generation elected the politicians that put us in this place. It is their fault? No?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Really, that's quite a huge assumption from the statement I made. So, in your estimation, blaming myself from my own problems makes me a mindless sheep who is easily led and will fall victim to the evil establishment?

Just curious.

Oh, and the people who fell victim to Ponzi schemes knew that they were risking their money when they invested. The majority knew that these supposed investments were paying exhorbitant dividends - far higher than anything which might be on the up and up. So they gambled. Investing is nothing more than gambling anyway. Betting that a company or investment is going to prosper. If I invest and go broke you are damned skippy it's my own fault.

This is now the second time in the last few days that you have posted this sort of response to me because I said that I was responsible for my own problems. Is it actually beyond you that a person should have a clean house before they have any right or justification to start complaining about the state of their neighbors houses or beyond?

I think it is opportunistic and irresponsible to blame everything on Big Brother and the endless array or corporations and entities that might have a little bit of power or control. If you don't agree with these institutions you have many avenues of recourse. You can vote. You can boycott products. You can picket, complain, and start letter writing campaigns until your heart is content. But I see by your profile that your plan is to, and I quote, "bug out". So why act so righteously offended when you've already stated, publically, that your answer is to complain then leave?

And Sir, the naseua reaction is completely reciprocated, I assure you.

[edit on 8/14/10 by Hefficide]

[edit on 8/14/10 by Hefficide]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join