It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama defends ground zero mosque plans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Obama defends ground zero mosque plans

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Friday endorsed plans for a Muslim mosque two blocks from ground zero in New York City, declaring that "Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country."
Speaking at a White House dinner celebrating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, Obama said all Americans have the right to worship as they choose.
"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances, Obama said. "This is America, and our commitment to
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm glad that he is coming out to support this and so should everyone else. Being opposed to this Islamic cultural center is ridiculous. There are already several mosques in that area. And not to mention...Islam is not al-Qaida.

Wasnt Tim McVeigh a Christian? Should we ban all Christian churches near the Oklahoma City Building?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
Being opposed to this Islamic cultural center is ridiculous. There are already several mosques in that area.

It's well known, and the Muslim community will not deny this, that Islam is anti-Western culture. Their motive, no matter how moderate a Muslim may seem, is to destroy Western culture and impose Islamic law.

Like you said, there are already several mosques in the area. Do they really need another one? I would think so. Terrorists are all the time needing a place to stash their cache of weapons and this would be the ONLY reason besides flaunting in our face of what they did.

You can't compare Timothy McVeigh to terrorists. McVeighs' beef was with the FBI and their "jack-booted" siezure of the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas under the authority of Janet Reno during the totalitarian rule of the Clinton administration.

While I don't condone his actions, they were politically motivated. Islamic actions are purely theologically motivated.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I agree with you OP. Many people just have a distaste for Islam. Because they have know clue to what the Islam is about. Many will be surprised as to how Muslims are credited with many great accomplishments throughout the years of the founding of Islam. Yes Islam has it bad fruits, just like Christianity, Even Atheism has it bad fruits.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

That is still terrorism. Joesph Stalin robed banks before taking power in the Russia and they even called him a terrorist.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

It's really comforting to know coming from a member whose avatar dons a Kraut uniform.

Terrorism is exactly what the name implies. To bring terrror in the hearts of entire populations.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Yes, that what Terrorism means. Tim McVeigh and his buddies did the same thing in Texas.
Thanks for the complement for my avatar.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I am pleased that he now has the gut's to come out and show his true colors.... good on him for being out in the open so we can see what he is passionate about...

Avoiding the National day of prayer, and now this... Hmmmmm

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

I avoided the National day of prayer. The same with numerous of other people in this country. I never heard anyone get upset for any other leader avoiding the national day of prayer.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

It's well known, and the Muslim community will not deny this, that Islam is anti-Western culture. Their motive, no matter how moderate a Muslim may seem, is to destroy Western culture and impose Islamic law.

And by denying them the right to build a mosque, are we not showing the same level of ignorance?

I'm also going to call your statement opinion with regards to the Muslim faith. There are also some Christians who feel that raunchy TV and video games and gay marriage are things put on this earth by the devil. They spend vast amounts of time and energy trying to destroy these things. And many of these things are representative of "western culture". So just because someone doesnt like something or is against what it teaches, doesnt mean they should be denied rights that others are given.

hile I don't condone his actions, they were politically motivated. Islamic actions are purely theologically motivated.

Are you under the impression that no Christians have committed crimes in the name of their religion??? Wasnt Dr. Tiller killed by a Christian extremest? I would not allow his actions to imply that ALL Christians behave in such a manner. Should we not allow any Christians churches to be built near Dr. Tillers murder site?

Freedom of religion applies to all religions. You cant pick and choose.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Allright then, let's get started on the New Life Baptist Seminary Construction In Medina, Saudi Arabia... right next to good old you know who....

Think that would draw some protests????

I know, I know... apples and oranges... right?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Looks like the current Pope is right ahead of you with that!
www.newsweek.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

I never heard anyone get upset for any other leader avoiding the national day of prayer.

It began with Truman in 1952, and became an official ceremony with Reagan.

The National Day of Prayer was created to remind people to pray for family, friends, the country, etc. It wasn’t created for a specific religion, but for anyone who wanted to participate.

Obama is definitely showing more openly his spite for long-honored American traditions.

Look what you've done to my Country!

jw

link   
I have to agree with the OP and the President. Islam is not the enemy. Radicals rule when we give into a mob mentality; I hope we can stay above that.

link   

Originally posted by freetree64
I am pleased that he now has the gut's to come out and show his true colors.... good on him for being out in the open so we can see what he is passionate about...

Avoiding the National day of prayer, and now this... Hmmmmm

What do you mean true colors? Are you implying that Obama is a....dun, dun, dun, secret Muslim? Do you have any evidence to back this claim?

He is clearly not a Muslim but if he was, why would it matter?

The national day of prayer was a violation of the constitution anyway. Not to mention, the day of prayer was never designated as "Christian" day of prayer but a day for ALL faiths to pray. Also there was a legal battle going on over this day and it has since been ruled unconstitutional.

On October 3, 2008, the Freedom From Religion Foundation sued President George W. Bush, Jim Doyle, Shirley Dobson, chair, National Day of Prayer Task Force, and White House Press Secretary Dana Perino at a Madison, Wisconsin federal court, challenging the federal law designating the National Day of Prayer.[15] The Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) is defending Shirley Dobson and the National Day of Prayer Task Force. The Obama administration asked U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb to dismiss the case in March 2009. The administration argued the group has no legal standing to sue and that the tradition of the National Day of Prayer dated back to 1775.[16] The suit was then amended to include President Obama and Press Secretary Gibbs.
On March 1, 2010 U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb stated that FFRF's lawsuit can proceed forward because the plaintiffs had shown that they suffered "concrete injury" that can potentially be remedied by judicial action. Justice Crabb stated about those supporting the federal law designating the National Day of Prayer, "adopting [the] defendants' view of standing would allow the government to have unrestrained authority to demean members of any religious group without legal consequence. The federal government could declare the 'National Day of Anti-Semitism' or even declare Christianity the official religion of the United States, but no one would have standing to sue because no one would have to 'pass by' those declarations." [17] This was in regards to the defendants position that the plaintiffs did not have standing to engage in the lawsuit. Mr. Bolton, legal counsel of the Freedom From Religion Foundation stated, "The Foundation has never been opposed to nongovernment parties designating and participating in their own Day of Prayer activities. Here, however, government officials have too often adopted the religious perspective of Mrs. Dobson and the National Day of Prayer Task Force as the official public statement and position of the government. To the extent that Mrs. Dobson and the Task Force, operating from the Focus on the Family campus in Colorado Springs, concentrate on the private sphere, that is their prerogative. FFRF is concerned about the government's respect for the separation of church and state, which the court intends to address."[18]
On April 15, 2010, Judge Crabb ruled that the statute establishing the National Day of Prayer was unconstitutional as it is "an inherently religious exercise that serves no secular function". Judge Crabb also stated in her opinion, "If the government were interested only in acknowledging the role of religion in America, it could have designated a 'National Day of Religious Freedom' rather than promote a particular religious practice."[2][19][20] However, Crabb stayed her ruling pending the completion of appeals.[21] In her ruling Judge Crabb stated the following:

National Day of Prayer

[edit on 13-8-2010 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Allright then, let's get started on the New Life Baptist Seminary Construction In Medina, Saudi Arabia... right next to good old you know who....

Think that would draw some protests????

I know, I know... apples and oranges... right?

So you are saying that we should change our constitution to reflect that of Saudi Arabia? We should be as religiously intolerant as them?

It probably would draw protests but here in America we have freedom of religion and I feel that we should set a higher standard for how we treat people and their chosen faith...dont you?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
Being opposed to this Islamic cultural center is ridiculous. There are already several mosques in that area.

Like you said, there are already several mosques in the area. Do they really need another one? I would think so. Terrorists are all the time needing a place to stash their cache of weapons and this would be the ONLY reason besides flaunting in our face of what they did.

You can't compare Timothy McVeigh to terrorists. McVeighs' beef was with the FBI and their "jack-booted" siezure of the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas under the authority of Janet Reno during the totalitarian rule of the Clinton administration.

While I don't condone his actions, they were politically motivated. Islamic actions are purely theologically motivated.

Oh, I see, but if it's more churches or synagogues, then IT'S COMPLETELY FINE, right?

Why the hate?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Islam is not the enemy, on that I agree, what is the enemy is the constant allowance for others (muslims), while not allowing those who have freely practiced their religion in this country for many years (christians) any tolerance. We are becoming a nation that see's the rights of some over the rights of others, to be far more important, they should all be equal, not prejudiced one way or the other.... correct?

This is but an ongoing battle, in which the rights of some groups are championed, while other groups rights are vilified....

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Well every is both good and bad. Unless they have some problems. I'm not seeing any dominance from Islam in the U.S. The reason this mosque is such a issue is because there are people who oppose as well support the building of the Mosque at a cretin location on ground zero. Really I thought they were building a tower called the Freedom tower. I believe that the land owners can have anything built on the land though.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Islam isn't the problem.
I believe people should be able to practice their religions freely and without impinging on my rights to practice my religion or enjoy the other freedoms allowed by the US Constitution.

And the President giving this project the nod doesn't nothing to quiet my fears that this is something American will come to regret.

I quote ATS member Hudson when he said:

According to this Muslim, there is little doubt the Ground Zero Mosque is meant to be a deliberate provocation. This is not hard for me to believe given the fact there are already 30 mosques in the Manhattan area and the reasoning for putting one on ground zero seems to be so steeped in liberal guilt. I'm not a religious person, but it seems to me if they wanted to "heal wounds", this mosque would have been a community center for all religions.

"We Muslims know the Ground Zero mosque is meant to be a deliberate provocation"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join