It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama backs mosque near ground zero

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I for one am glad that Obama is supporting the 1st Amendment Constitutional guarantee of freedom of religion. That is what this amounts to, and nothing more. First Amendment rights are pretty close to absolute, so long as they don't impinge on the freedoms of anyone else. The Cordoba House is perfectly legal and any attempt to stop it would be unconstitutional.

Obama did, in his oath of office promise to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." His statement is nothing more than an act of fulfilling this oath.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bowlbyville
I'm sure someone's already said this but the day that Rome can build a Church in Mecca should be the day that this Mosque gets built in NYC.

Guess what, we happen to live in a country that, unlike Saudi Arabia, protects our freedoms...it's one of the reasons why the U.S. is better than Saudi Arabia.

Why should we base our actions on the lowest common denominator of freedom as professed by other nations? Why should we start copying what they do? Shouldn't we be setting the example for the world? Shouldn't we constantly prove with acts like allowing this to go forward just how much better our system is than theirs?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The designated area, or at least the pictures of it I have seen seems to be pretty run-down. A new build or renovation could only be an improvement. It should attract service industry as well. That's by the by in this thread though. What is harder to pin down, is those that would object to a mosque, a place of worship to God, being built. As God knows, much of the "Christian world" has trouble believing in him but many just go through the motions, just to hedge their bets when it comes to popping their clogs. America has no established religion, and in fact it could be against the constitutionial law to deny such a place of worship to believers of any faith or belief system. Objections on the grounds of, I don't like your face, place or "race" are useless if no other law is being broken.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
the most hilarious part of this entire thread

is when people go on and on and on about the constitution

all those rights came from god not allah( those framers of the constitution had faith in god altho the used the word creator and like it or not they were religious)

so i guess all those pro mosque people need to thank god

that they can all sit here and label everyone who disagrees with them....

but then agian the constitution only protects the people from the government not each other.

and all you people going on like you have about how misguided or how ignorant the idea of the mosque being built are trampling all over someone elses constitutional rights....

yep people scream and shout at the top of their voices constitution this constitution that.................

but when it comes right down to it and by most all posts in this thread

the only constitutional rights that are allowed here are by the pro mosque supporters.......

last thought here for all you constitutional screamers out there

go take an oath and swear before god that you will protect and defend the constitution.....no wait you people dont beleive in god.

nevermind go back to your normal scheduled programming....

[edit on 14-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
reply to post by sweetliberty

You know what? You are right the op got kicked to the side and no one is posting what the news around the world is saying only what we few here on ATS think.

"THESE people said this, add more opinions from the internet to balance it."

You have a good point. IMO we have to many people who are trying to start something here on ATS or trying to sidetrack a post just for attention. Then other people as well as me get sucked in to the childs play .

So thank you Ima get back to working on this website and leave the kids to fight it out and bicker.

It's scary that we are automatically labeled just because we have an opinion.

They are out to divide members on ATS, I hope it doesn't work.

I feel The Constitution of the United States will prevail.

In the meantime, the ignorant will yell racist, nazi, hate ect.

The truth is they can't bully us into silence. Knowing this, I have been able to slack off on the games they play and deny ignorance (as best as a blond can

Those using the hateful words the loudest have lost control and lack inner peace, imo.

Time to get back to work, yes.

Thanks,
sl

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
the most hilarious part of this entire thread

is when people go on and on and on about the constitution

all those rights came from god not allah( those framers of the constitution had faith in god altho the used the word creator and like it or not they were religious)

God did not write the constitution and if they intended the Christian god, why did they not say that? Find Jesus Christ mentioned in there anywhere? Are you telling me that only Christians have rights in the US? Only Christians should get to build houses of worship? Because you think creator means Christian god and you think he wrote the constitution? I say there were talking about the flying spaghetti monster. Prove me wrong.

so i guess all those pro mosque people need to thank god

They do thank god. You do know there are other words for god and God, right? Allah is one of them. I know it is going to hurt to hear this but their god is the same god you claim wrote the constitution. It is the messenger that came after they differ on. You know Muslims revere Jesus Christ, right?

that they can all sit here and label everyone who disagrees with them....

I have yet to label anyone but I am firing up my printer now.

but then agian the constitution only protects the people from the government not each other.

and all you people going on like you have about how misguided or how ignorant the idea of the mosque being built are trampling all over someone elses constitutional rights....

Whoms? What rights?

yep people scream and shout at the top of their voices constitution this constitution that.................

I was singing it and at a low volume.

but when it comes right down to it and by most all posts in this thread

the only constitutional rights that are allowed here are by the pro mosque supporters.......

See anyone protesting a church or synagogue? I think they have the right to put all three there and make it a religious multiplex. Nothing Muslim specific about it but the hate.

last thought here for all you constitutional screamers out there

go take an oath and swear before god that you will protect and defend the constitution.....no wait you people dont beleive in god.

I don't. I guess that makes me less American than you?

nevermind go back to your normal scheduled programming....

Thanks for that.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
What better way to respond to the world about our traditional Constitutional values and morals than building a mosque near a place attacked in the name of the same religion? This is a demonstration to the world that we are smart, that we understand that there is a difference between fanatics and the common people in any religion. This is brilliant PR to both European countries AND muslims. Your fanatics attack us, but we welcome your peaceful members.

Conservatives, think about it for a minute. This is a brilliant strategy unless you like your kids going to war for the next century.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Adevoc Satanae

at the time of the writing they were christian men and knowing the persecution
and torment that christians use to endure they used the word " creator" so that no man or woman after them would know that persecution or torment no matter the religion.

allah is hardly god

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

at the time of the writing they were christian men

I am going to need some proof of that.

and knowing the persecution
and torment that christians use to endure they used the word " creator" so that no man or woman after them would know that persecution or torment no matter the religion.

Wow. So you mean that instead of specifying the Christian god, they used the word creator because they wanted to prevent persecution or torment no matter what religion? How is it that Islam does not fall into that category then?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

well last time i looked i never heard of a muslim being crucified etc

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Originally posted by Hemisphere

This might help these folks feel more at home in NY and the USA?

This is their home. They're Americans.

If this is their home why do they have to face Mecca when they pray?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

"all those rights came from god not allah"

All our Christian beliefs point to God being the supreme being.. the creator.
Allah, IS considered the supreme being..the creator. So who is right? what's the difference, people with faith talking about the same thing.... this could go on forever. The orginal mindset is the same, only you want to distinguish as something different. The intellectual argument is null and void as far as the American constitution is concerned.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

well when the constiution was written allah wasnt a thought in colonial america

pretty sure christianity was the dominate religion at the time by the way

so those christian beliefs played a large part into its writting

hey now this is my opinion noone is saying you have to agree with anything i say.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Wow...I have to say, you guys should be reading Road to Serfdom (F. A. Hayek) while reading these "Ground Zero Mosque" and "Internment Camps for Illegals" threads. Especially Chapters 10 and 12.

It would be humorous, if it weren't so unsettling.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by theWCH]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

well last time i looked i never heard of a muslim being crucified etc

Good for you. I never heard of a potato being used to make ice cream. Glad you have friends to star any random thought that falls out of your head.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tungus

If this is their home why do they have to face Mecca when they pray?

Who prays toward their home?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

and an opinion poll about how many african americans watch foxnews isnt random..

pot calling kettle

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

reply to post by smurfy

well when the constiution was written allah wasnt a thought in colonial america

BS!

Are you saying the founding fathers were not aware of the Muslim religion?

Meet Job. One of the first Muslims written about in American history some 50 years prior to the constitution.

In 1730 Ayuba (Job) Suleiman Diallo, a well educated Muslim merchant was kidnaped and enslaved from 1730-1733. Job ibn Solomon Dgiallo (Jallo) came from Bundu, Senegal. He was captured in 1730 in Gambia and brought to Annapolis, MD in 1731, where he was delivered to Mr. V. Denton, factor to Mr Hunt. Mr Denton sold Job to Mr. Alexander Tolsey in Kent Island in Maryland. He was a Fulani who lived near the banks of the Gambia river in Senegal. Job was one of the first Muslims written about in America. While in Maryland Job wrote a letter to his father, which came to the attention of James Oglethorpe, the founder of Georgia, who helped purchase his freedom and sent him to London where he was finally set free and sent back home to work for the Royal African Company of London in his homeland. While in London Job wrote down three copies of the Quran from memory.source

So please explain, were they not aware of Muslims?

pretty sure christianity was the dominate religion at the time by the way

Does it matter which religion dominated? You just said yourself they used "creator" because they wanted no persecution of ANY religion. Why do you seem to not understand yourself?

so those christian beliefs played a large part into its writting

So you seem to believe. How nice for you. Thanksgiving was a big happy meal when the friendly pilgrims met up with the indians and all had a good time together too.

hey now this is my opinion noone is saying you have to agree with anything i say.

I would not worry.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bowlbyville

Wow. That is just not even remotely relevant and is just a cop out. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES.

We are talking about the US! We have freedom of religion here! That isn't just about when you agree with it!

How many times do I have to say it. This is not burger king. You do not get to pick and choose.

These "Americans" utterly disgust me sometimes. It's ok as long as it's a church. But them muslims? OH NO

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

and an opinion poll about how many african americans watch foxnews isnt random..

Not even a little. If you were following the conversation instead of just reading my posts (I know you love me) you would have understood what that had to do with the conversation and how it was not random at all.

pot calling kettle

Calling kettle what?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join