It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama backs mosque near ground zero

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Thank you for pointing out how you misused the word bigot by calling me or implying that i am one. And freedom of religion does not supersede American law so trying to bring sharia law here is a violation of the Constitution of the USA . And i have never said they don't have the right in fact i said they do have the right.

I only said it would be a bad idea and if what they want is against what the people want then the people can supersede there freedom of religion because the people supersede the Constitution, remember that the Constitution only exist because of the people.

Forgot to add a snipit from a news article

"While his pronouncement concerning the mosque might find favor in the Muslim world, Obama's stance runs counter to the opinions of the majority of Americans, according to polls."

Seems like the people don't want it there.

But to be fair it is not as close as they are making it out to be so 2-4 blocks away is not that bad IMO however its not what i think but what the people of NY think.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by GunzCoty]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

1/ first of all : sorry for what I shall say if this could eventually disturb you man, peace and go drink a beer with me one day. We have to care about our being banned because of being too assertiv no ?
2/what a stupid ridiculous position you have here !!! how can you be so hatefull against Obama ??
what is wrong ? liberty of religion ? what have moslims to do with extremism ?
what, for example, has Hitler to do with christianism or what have pedo priests to do with catholic religion ?????
you make a mix up, please do not mix everything upside down, try to see what is essential and what is b..llsh..t.
I agree that we have to be very aware of their eventual hidden plans, but is USA noit strong enough to defend itself without cutting off all (y)our liberties ???
have a beer ! nice to meet you !

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Sunlionspirit]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

so trying to bring sharia law here is a violation of the Constitution of the USA

Equating all Muslims with fundamentalists / extremists is a poor attempt at hiding your hatred of them. It's like accusing Christians of preparing to launch another series of crusades. Thankfully, this is why we have the constitution to help give us things such as freedom of speech, freedom of religion etc.

Obviously you have no problem with someones irrational xenophobia and racism towards Muslims as long as you're supported by enough racists / xenophobes?

The constitution isn't meant to basically be "mob ruled" to death while taking away others freedoms. What if the vast majority of Americans wanted to amend the constitution to make it a crime to talk about conspiracies? You would be all for it as long as it's what the people want?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

one more ridiculous answer ..... really, in what kind of world do we live ???
please accept my apologise if I hurt you by saying this ( sarcasm ).
how can you say such things ??
USA is NOT and never will be moslimland, I think you are smarter than that.
We have to be aware of all that what is happening but freedom of religion is one thing, constitution is the garanty we live in a FREE society ( up there at yours in USA or in Europe where I live ) so please do not compare sh..t with cake !!
Did you ask yourself how 9/11 was possible ?? did you ask yourself what eventually was the implication of MOSSAD in all this killing ?? I think you did NOT think about all those questions because you only think black/white !
Have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

USA is NOT and never will be moslimland

Yes, you're obviously being invaded.

Did you ask yourself how 9/11 was possible

Obviously the mosques give the evil Muslim superpowers...? Is that a real question?

did you ask yourself what eventually was the implication of MOSSAD in all this killing

Let's tie the Jews into this somehow...

So, yeah...the first amendment trumps your racism

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
All you repugnantans and Tea Baggers need to quit grasping at every thing you can to slander Obama, it gets old.

Obama took an oath when he assumed the presidency, that oath was to defend and uphold the constitution, in the constitution it clearly says and has said since it's inception that; "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Him supporting the building of this cultural center has nothing to do with him being a closet Muslim but has everything to do with the oath he took.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

The president has me rethinking this whole mosque deal. You know maybe we should be united behind this. After all the POTUS is down with it and he's no Islamic extremist sympathizer and he's a stalwart defender of Constitutional rights. This might help these folks feel more at home in NY and the USA and become better integrated here. They came here seeking western freedoms, that was not an easy decision, they deserve them.

This is going to be more than a place of worship it will be a community center. I was thinking of ways that maybe they could help finance this as well as integrate into the larger community. They could rent out a little space inside to mainstream NY/US institutions. That might help the economy too. Would a Nathans' Famous fit there or what? Everybody loves French fries! Maybe they could move the 4th of July festivities from Coney Island to this community center. Good publicity, participants from around the world, a patriotic display and fun for the whole family. I see a win/win situation in this all too dog eat dog world. God bless America!

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one - John Lennon

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Because of the controversy they knew it would cause, they should have built the mosque somewhere else. But they aren't building it somewhere else. And that is their right, like it or not. Freedom has no "only when it suits me" clause. The city council voted to put the mosque there. If New Yorkers want to move it they'll have to convince the city council. The fact that some (not all) conservatives want government officials to step into our lives and tell us what we are and are not "allowed" to build seems blatantly ironic, given the usual conservative stance of "less government."

Public opinion is so disgustingly predictable. This happens every time there's a war. Whoever the war is against becomes symbolized, stereotyped, and applied to all people across the world who have any similarity at all to the wartime enemies. Before 9/11 Muslims would have had NO problem getting a mosque built in New York. Now, all of a sudden, they're bad and evil, because people cannot stretch their petty minds enough to realize that there is no connection between them and the 9/11 attacks.

"Al Qaida => Quran => All Muslims": Most ignorant and over-simplified connection you could possible make.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me a bit. He's defending the values, laws, and principles of this country, not any particular project or religion. As it should be.

It's ironic that those who don't have the strength to stand by the values, principles, and laws of this country or maybe don't have faith in them seem to be the same people most willing to allow them to be destroyed. If it was the plan to destroy America from within or prove its hypocrisy, it might be working.

This post hoc argument of Sharia law creeping in is no different than the danger of Christian or Jewish law creeping in. Spend more time worrying about that truck that might run you over tomorrow. That's a more realistic fear.

[edit on 8/14/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

what have the Jews to do with this ?????
I did not speak about Jews, I did speak about MOSSAD ok ????
can you read and not confuse anti-zionism with anti-semitism ???
I speak about the politics of the zionist government ok ?
please read a bit more into the threads here on ATS, semitism and anti-semitism, zionism and anti-zionism ...
MOSSAD = politics of zionism.
have a nice day and a beer !
hope I was not to agressiv ?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere

This might help these folks feel more at home in NY and the USA?

This is their home. They're Americans.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by frimilden
All you repugnantans and Tea Baggers need to quit grasping at every thing you can to slander Obama, it gets old.

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. So I can speak out against the government as I please. The moment that comes to an end Shots will be Fired.

Obama took an oath when he assumed the presidency, that oath was to defend and uphold the constitution, in the constitution it clearly says and has said since it's inception that; "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

I guess you didn't read all the post here. I made a comment about how Obama messed up the oath of office along with Chief Justice Roberts. Secondly according to his own wife he is from Kenya.

So even if he took the oath correctly it wouldn't matter.

Him supporting the building of this cultural center has nothing to do with him being a closet Muslim but has everything to do with the oath he took.

My Muslim Faith? Could be a slip.

The below video speaks for itself.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

USA will never be moslimland because you up there will never allow it this to happen !!
you have a Constitution, you have the people, how ever would you allow to have sharia up there or people crying from minarets their prayers ???
there is a difference between freedom of religion and burka's wearing women or sharia executions or mutilations. No ?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

No we have no problem with executions, torture, mutilations all without the need for sharia law.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Geuuuhhhh.

*facepalm!*

Obama's wife talks about how he went to Kenya, (as we all know) the land his father was from. Therefore Obama himself was born in Kenya.

Obama accidentally uses "my faith" in a context that implies his faith is Muslim, which is quickly corrected. Therefore everything Obama has said about his Christian faith, even including the highly controversial Reverend Wright from his church, is a lie, and he is in fact Muslim.

Al Qaida claimed responsibility for the 9/11 attacks and said they were retaliation for the fall of the towers in Lebanon. Al Qaida also supports Sharia law and death to all western societies. Therefore, ALL Muslims support Sharia law and death to the West, and a Ground Zero mosque is a horrible and insulting thing to build.

*facepalm, facepalm, facepalm!!*

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Brilliant plan by the Muslims all the way around.......first they flip us all off, they get approval from Commrade Obama, and they get to laugh at us. All the while hoping someone does something so they can bring in CAIR, the ACLU and other terrorist extortionist organizations and sue sue sue. This isn't about the first amendment, it's about what's right and decent.....of course I'd expect no less from Obama, the muslins or the apologists enablers on here. It has no business there, and before we get into private property rights etc, the government already does choose what get built where and if something can be built or not, so thats just grasping at straws.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I agree that that they have the right to build their mosque, under the 1st ammendment, only that it is poor taste for them to build it there, especially when land has been offered elsewhere to build it, and the vast majority of local people dissagree with it being built. I believe that by building it near GZ the Imam is trying to send a message to Americans.

The only real questions are:

1. Who will build it? The vast majority of the steel workers, electricians, plumbers, and laborers unions, will probabilly refuse to work on it (on moral grounds) and their BA's know this, so union labor is more than likely out. And I doubt you can build something that size in Manhattan without the unions. IMO.

2. How long will it stand? As has been posted here by many, "there are a lot of crazies here in America" and if some psycho can blow up a government building in Oklahoma, really, how long do you think it will take before some "crazy" parks a truck filled with BOOM out in front of this place? My guess: Not Long!! The very idea of this mosque being built there is rubbing WAY to many people the wrong way to think it will stand for long.

Which brings me to my 3rd point.

3. If the place does get built and they do have a fire or problem there, do you honestly think that there are very many firefighters or police officers in NY that will be willing to risk their lives to defend the building. They would probably help the people inside (common decency, after all it is not the people who did 9/11, but a lot of civil servants in NY still have trouble seeing the diffrence between Islam and Radical Islam) but still take offence at the building and what they feel it represents (mainly the desecration of the memory of their fallen friends, and the people who needlessly died that day) and might not give 100% to stop it from burning down.

These are my opinions based on the information that I get and the people that I talk to. All you have to do is scroll through some of the posts on this site, or watch some of the MSM or Fox coverage of the days leading up to the decission to allow building of the mosque, to see that I am unfortunately, probably right.

Personally I am all for freedom of religon, (after all it is the cornerstone of the founding of this country) but a little common sence and compassion on the part of the Islamic Religious Organization in NY (such as there is) and the Imam towards the citizens of NY and the memory of the fallen would go a long way towards defusing some of the tension between the people of America and the people of Islam.

IMHO

[edited for grammar]

[edit on 8/14/2010 by Ghost of Chewie]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

It couldn't be that he (Obama) is defending the rights of American Citizens to practice their religion as they see fit. If you want to destroy our freedoms to satisfy your personal needs/ wants, you can go suck eggs. This is the United States of America. Here, we worship freely. Here, we attempt to understand the difference between those who are extremists, and violent, and those who only wish to live in peace, and within the laws of this land. If you are unwilling to do that... then you are the most UN-American people out there. Extremists want to choose how you live, what you can do; hell, even who you can associate with. If you would take these basic freedoms from people who have done you no harm, then you are JUST. LIKE. THEM.

There are Muslims who are American citizens
There are Muslims who have fought and died for this country
There are Muslims who were victims of 9/11 (that is, workers in the WTC and pentagon) - chances are their friends and families would benefit from this center.

This is not an issue of appeasing terrorists. This is an issue of protecting the constitutional rights for a group of Americans who have suffered and prospered as Americans.

Originally posted by tungus
Oh, wait what was his middle name?
You know, the middle name that no one was supposed to mention?

Dude, the president has many faults, but being a Muslim - as you tried to portray (or having a faith in general) is not a fault. Argue to the legitimate issues.

But I think I get your point Obama also lied about being Black in order to get the African American votes! You know he did - look at him!

And he SMOKES! The bastard smokes! How sick is that.

And, get this, he speaks and makes sense?! Can you believe that? A President should fumble his words, stammer, and be born into a rich family with Middle Eastern ties!

A President should sell us out to Islamic Countries that sponsor terrorism! Like Saudi Arabia! Bush: our greatest President EVER!

[edit on 14-8-2010 by Sheol]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Originally posted by Hemisphere

This might help these folks feel more at home in NY and the USA?

This is their home. They're Americans.

Who said they're not? I said "feel more at home". Some have immigrated here I'm sure. Others might not feel as welcome and as integrated as other natural born Americans. I "feel their pain", I truly do. I clearly remember the prejudicial horror stories passed down from my own immigrant ancestors coming to this country and also the generations of further prejudice they endured once settled. I am often reminded of my own wife's experiences as a first generation American growing up in racially explosive Miami in the 1960's.

We want these people to feel fully integrated. I want for them to enjoy the fruits of our great nation, Nathans' Famous included, if it be their hearts' desire. I think that's something we can all support. After all, 60 or more Muslims aside from the terrorists died on 9/11. That's truly sad and I feel for all the families that suffered and still suffer. I do believe that their wounds are not sufficiently healed and consideration for their continued suffering should remain one of our communal, local and national priorities.

God bless America! Allah bless America too! Pick your God any old God and pray for he/she/or it to bless America!

Thank you. Vote early, vote often!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

Many millions of Muslims have been here for generations upon generations and have been born here and were fairly well "integrated" before the events of 9/11 and some people's actions thereafter created an atmosphere of distrust and rising bigotry that has singled them out. I simply found it a rather broad statement. No biggie. Thanks for elaborating.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join