It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Few. The Proud. The Marines ... Getting a Makeover?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the Marine Corps has "gotten too big"

WASHINGTON (Aug. 13) -- Declaring "the maritime soul of the Marine Corps" is at stake, Defense Secretary Robert Gates has ordered a review of the seaborne service that since 9/11 has functioned more like a "second land army." In a speech in San Francisco, Gates spoke of "anxiety" over the future role of the service after nearly a decade of fighting on land in Afghanistan and Iraq. He said some feel the Corps has "become too heavy, too removed from their expeditionary, amphibious roots and the unique skill sets those missions require." Though many Marines are battle-tested, some "may never have stepped aboard a ship."

Source

Thoughts?

I know that we have some Marines that come to this board. I'd like to hear their thoughts on this subject as well as others. It does seem like the Marine corps have gotten away from their motto "the few", however, i'd like for our resident Marines to comment on this subject.

I cant really say that I remember a time in which the powers that be try to reshuffle a branch of our military.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

im not a marine so take my opinion for whats its worth...

sounds like a bureaurcrat whos forgotten what its like on the field of battle.

you can never have to much if you ask any marine im sure they tell you most times they dont have enough.

semper fi marines!!!!

[edit on 13-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You go wherever the mission needs you and you do it without griping or whining. Right now, they are desperately needed in Afghanistan and Iraq, where they are doing a fine job, I might add. I think the mission should far outweigh the image. With that being said, my Army unit worked directly with a Marine unit on several occassions, same functions and tasks, only different uniforms and weapons. Adapt and overcome. If the mission is land based fighting and they are needed (as they are), then so be it.

My army unit, the 10th Mountain Div, has a history of training and fighting in extreme terrain and weather conditions, though the mission often calls for something different and more mundane (for lack of a better word). Moral of the story being, you do what you have to, when you have to do it and you always adapt and overcome. I would think that most Marines think the same way.

Image seems to be important with the civilian leadership, while soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen will adapt and overcome. To us (though I'll only speak for myself), image shouldn't be so important.

Now if Gates is worried that we will need the role of maritime soldiers in the neer or not too distant future, then that is something different, though I suspect that they won't have a hardtime adapting back in such an event.

Take it for whatever it's worth.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Thank you for the reply airspoon

I figured as much as well.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The Marine Corps only has a maximum of 250,000 it is legislated. I served for 4 years and never set foot on a boat, many dont. Gates is a MORON. i guess marines jumped off a boat into the dense rainforrests of southeast asia. there are still marines allover the world on naval vessels.

appologies for sarcasm

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Perhaps he shouldn't worry about their role and worry about their funding!

My brother is a Marine, and constantly notes how poorly funded they are, and they are a military service that just has to "Make do, and do more with less"

And this is a common theme I see in biographies by US Marines.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
US Marines are forced to adapt to all situations including being very poor since they are "part of the Navy."

This is stupid, we still have amphibious Marines on MEU's and any 0321 - 0326 could swim circles around just about anyone.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Punishing the Marines for serving in land wars? LOL.

How quickly people forget the Korean War.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
the Marine Corps takes extreme pride in doing more with less.
this was my experience, the first time went to an army chowhall, in baghdad, i was like wtf "the army gets bacon" i know this sounds trivial.
but just a very small example in the difference in services. howevere, as i said doing more with less, faster, and more effecient.
its called esprit de corps

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
As much as I understand the pride and respect people have for the Marines, isn't it kind of redundant (and costly) to have 2 seperate land armies?

Wouldn't it be far cheaper to make Army land, Navy sea, and Airforce air?

This is the biggest thing that I have never understood about the US military.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-

Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the Marine Corps has "gotten too big"

Though many Marines are battle-tested, some "may never have stepped aboard a ship."

Thoughts?

1833 YAT-YAS!

If they don't want the Marines to be so large maybe they shouldn't be deploying the Corps to every possible hell hole they can find.

Just an Opinion is all.

Semper Fi.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

excuse me sir, but marines arent concerned with the pride of the people. Marines have pride in the Marine Corps. large difference. please my friend read my post, doing more with less.

any Marine will agree.

250,00 the marine corps is not getting any larger.
simply doing more with less.

semper fi
do or die

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I might be wrong, but it seems like every once in a while someone gets it in their head that they need to get rid of the marines. They're still here.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If they can pass boot camp who can say that they are not marines. hell i have been on a ship that does not make me a marine. how can you have to many?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Im not really sure if having only 3 Marines to occupy Afghanistan is really that great an idea.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by godsenddeath

I know they are proud of it.

But I'd rather see my brother and the rest of the Marine Corps well equipped to survive and win than proud.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
You know what I think is getting too big? Gates mouth and Obamas head.

Ooh Rah.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

3 Marines to occupy Afghanistan? How do you figure?
Line 2.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I am not a Marine my father is some of my uncle are my brother in-law is and many friends. But i would like to add my 2 cents if thats ok.

The Navy should get rid of the Marine Corps seeing as how the Marine Corps is a division of the Navy.

The Marine Corps should be its own branch like the ARMY NAVY AIR FORCE lets face it why should the best not be a branch?

I say have the Marine Corps retrain the ARMY and take over the ARMY so you just have NAVY AIR FORCE and the MARINE CORPS.

But thats just MHO on the matter.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

Lol, you actually have it backwards, as the Army trains some of the Marine Corps. Furthermore, I wouldn't say they are the best. Maybe at guarding embassies (which I'm sure will one day be replaced by Xe), maintaining prisons and storming beaches but due to technology, I don't think that's really needed anymore.

To be honest, I think that both the Navy and Air Force have the most critical job for maintaining the empire. The Navy for projecting force and the Air Force for applying force. As far as the Marine Corps goes, Army light infantry has taken that spear-heading role. I'm not saying that they aren't needed, only that the lines have blurred with the mission standards of the day.

--airspoon

[edit on 17-8-2010 by airspoon]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join