It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open message to you all "Since when did this website become.....

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I agree with you Oz.

Out of the past 5 years i have been coming to this site (on a daily basis) this last year has been alot of junk threads that are just pointless, rude, ignorant and just damn right hatefull. Waiting for the day the old school threads return.

Im not much of a thread starting person as you proly can tell from my profile but i do frequent most posts on the site. When i first came to this site 5 yrs ago it was just pure awsomeness.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Seems unlikely to change.... usually the way these boards go is that the Ego is stronger than the perspective you can gain and intelligent thought.

For example,

Thread goes up....

New Evidence shows that extraterrestrials are among us

1st Poster.... S & F!!!! Wow....
Problem (No input other than a simple comment)

2nd Poster.... Not this again!!! Jesus thats not proof, its a rambling idiot who only holds a degree in Sociology not UFology....
Problem (Counters with anger due to the fact that he had made up his mind before he looked at the OP)

3rd Poster.... S & F!!! Thank you for the post
Problem.... (No input once again)

4th Poster.... Thank you very much for that input, I wonder what kind of electronic divice was used to be able to measure the extoplasma?
Problem (None) ask questions that are relevent to the actual subject.

5th Poster.... that doesn't prove anything, the video could have been faked
Problem (other than an opinion, thats all the poster has)

6th Poster.... I wonder if this is in any relations to these threads (Names threads) they seem to be connected.
Problem (None) (Added relevence)

7th Poster... the video is hazy.... it could have been anything

Problem (None really, but no actual counter question)

Ect...

but were all guilty of this, i can honestly say though the reason Trolls are so rampant here is that we are tolerant to their rants and we fuel their fires by counter argueing their post.

my 3 cents

Fox

PS More than 2 cents because I agree with you post.... ohhh S & F!!!

[edit on 8/14/2010 by FoxStriker]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by B.Morrison

Opinions are just that and I accept yours..
Can you not do the same?
I see my point as correct as far as T&C goes.
Can you argue my point instead of my perceived motives...

Ok, so I see you're saying my opinion on your motives was uncalled for & incorrect, fair enough. But I would like to point out that I had that opinion about your motives because I didn't believe you actually interpreted T&C that way, I see now you were being serious, so I will argue your point instead of motives, as requested.

T&C is not the law, true, but both are things that must be abided by in order to avoid punishment among many reasons.

I had a recent court room experience that showed me an aspect of law I'd never considered before.

Which is that laws are expected to be interpreted a certain way, depending on the context.

When the prosecuter brought up a particular law in court and suggested that I had broken it, the Judge laughed and said he (the prosecutor) had a very unique and peculiar understanding (or interpretation if you will) of the meaning of that law.

The way you call foul on this thread for breaking T&C, I found an interesting twist on what I percieved to be the intended meaning of the T&C's.

I guess the mods would have canned it (the thread) if they felt the same way as you. But I'm just speculating.

-B.M

[edit on 14/8/10 by B.Morrison]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

The site has become a vehicle of hate due to the infection in its community by disinfo agents. Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

the OP forgot to say, any posts mentioning Webot should be excluded from the website as well, since it cause hate

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Thank you for the response..

I see the T&C as black and white..
Its really the only way a place like ATS should be controlled,IMO.

However, I also see a bias towards some and note the Mods are steering clear of this thread.
I find it hard to believe only one Mod has noticed its here and they didn't act as I would have expected..

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

Wait...

Is this a topic about "hate topics"...

...coming from the person who created an infamous topic hating on a HUGE group of people because they believe in the possibility of a time shift/ geographical change, going so far as to call them all "STUPID".

That's rich coming from someone who called people far worse things in that thread. Shall I bring up some quotes?

*shakes head*

IRM :shk:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Yeah I'll flag it....

But while you are add it, could you do something about those Messiah's and channelers that are rampant on this site??

Oh and the fear mongers.....

Peace

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Oz, I couldn't agree more.. I don't come around as much, and for the exact same reasons.. I'm much happier popping by every other week for a glance.. maybe a good laugh..

Maybe one day bro..

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
People would rather search for subjects that they disagree with simply because it's easier to define themselves with what they stand against and not what they stand for.

Many of the members you speak of in high regard have not just left ATS they have been Banned by ATS.

I'm not having a go at the Mods here but most members get banned for arguing with a Mod that's all, nothing else.

Mods should not argue with Members because the only result is that you ban them, ATS doesn't seem to notice that the integrity of the forum is being dismantled by its own ignorance.

I'm sure Mods will snarl at my comments but let me assure you that it's not personal.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Have to agree with Oz here. I lurked for years before joining this year and quality is far from what it used to be. Something's going on and I don't know what. I have seen threads derailed in minutes as people come in and trigger every emotion possible, leaving constructive dialogue little chance to get a foot hold. The whole debunking issue is strange. I am all for people preventing nonsense being projected across the boards, but there's a hard core of members whose life on ATS surrounds chasing the glory of debunking conspiracies.

Trying to foster a culture of intelligent discussion has gone right out the window and people just spew hate and prejudice now. These threads go on for pages and contribute nothing to ATS as a whole. Just page after page after page of people fighting with each other.

I remember the days of people staking out Area 51 and posting pictures of the base and holding really good discussion. Nostalgia is nice!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well said Ozweatherman.

Not perhaps a spin off of internet manipulation by TPTB? Lots of people are paid to disrupt sites like these ...

peace

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
To be honest, I no longer see a reason to be here, and I've only been here for a couple of months.

I thought that this place was going to be a great place to help further consciousness and truth, but, there's more lies going on here than the mainstream media.

Secondly, it seems that the internet is nothing more than another war zone for gigantic egos to prove their superiority over another. How can we as citizens even pretend to be able to run this world any better than the high school jocks that ended up becoming political leaders, when there is not an ounce of solidarity amongst us? We really fell for the "divide and conquer" tactic.

As far as I'm concerned, if the world is going to hell, its because we were the one's that sent it there; and ATS gives me a good view of the macro by studying the micro.

If there was a place to find open-minded people, I thought it would be here, however, the doors seem to be slamming shut in every direction.

So, yeah. I agree with the OP.

Namaste and Love

[edit on 14-8-2010 by PsychoX42]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Before I registered in 07 I used to browse this website, for many years. Usually from work during my lunch break. One reason I never registered was the caliber of the conversation was daunting. I felt really out of depth and felt there was no way I could even pretend to offer an opinion on some of the good threads.

And well... now here I am.

Whats the old adage, I'd never be a member of a forum that would have me as a member?

Something definitely has changed. But I think 80% of it is due to the absolute madness some people bring up and fling around, whereas discussion and observation used to be the norm (for the most part) now it's delusion and paranoia that overwhelms some topics. And it catches on. Before you know it, people are incapable of rational discussion and that leaves some people at odds with the place, and in reality not everyone can handle themselves. I know I lose it a lot on some threads. As much as it infuriates me to see others do it, I am also guilty.

Something in the water? This so called awakening? A shift in global consciousness?

It's making people go batty.

A agree with 99% of your post OWM, and wont detract the thread with what I disagree with, but I think the problem is not ATS or the members per se, it's people in general. It's everywhere. I've met people recently who have no ties to ATS who believe some of the most insane things, and they'd fit right in here with some of the treads I've seen.

I never used to see this 10 years ago. Not in the way I do today.

It's enough to make me want to watch big brother and just zombie out of it all.... Oo

[edit on 14/8/2010 by badw0lf]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychoX42

I agree with you. Especially the egos that like to get flexed across the boards. Often, I find it funny, but sometimes it is quite sinister when certain members are almost given god like status and when you read their posts or threads you are left wondering how their contribution is merited as such. This one really puzzles me.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seventytwo
Mods should not argue with Members because the only result is that you ban them, ATS doesn't seem to notice that the integrity of the forum is being dismantled by its own ignorance.

I'm sure Mods will snarl at my comments but let me assure you that it's not personal.

Actually, threads where Mods participate as members, are not allowed to moderate those threads.

You might have seen the disclaimer message in their posts on such occasions.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I agree with with Oz, we're so wrapped up in 'this-is' and 'that-is-not'
that we've forgotten what this site is for.
If a topic is discussed here -chances are is that it's unproven.
This is a site where we debate the merits of a subject, not proclaim
at the initial post that this proves everything.

What I've noticed... and forgive me if this hurts some, is that a thread
that begins: '100% proof that...' usually doesn't have a response from
the poster or at least not for a while.
Why is that?
I would of thought the Thread-maker would have delighted in the
interaction from the responses.

I think that certain medias have a lot to answer for with
the way that our cultures interact... TV seems to sensationalise
everything (it always did!) ... but these days, it seems a lot more
of us believe it as a plain truth.

Greath thread DownUnder Man!

[edit on 14-8-2010 by A boy in a dress]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Good observation and will agree that the times are changing. Not for the good me thinks as people are more and more argumentative and unwilling to see beyond their own doors of perception. ATS is becoming more and more mainstream and no longer the niche conspiratorial site it once was.

Mighty Boosh fan by chance?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

The kind of threads you speak of are becoming more and more prevalent. The opening post usually leads with a sensationalist headline and spurious comment designed to inflame members and then the thread war ensues. I have a new term for these threads and it is: IETs - Improvised Explosive Threads.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Haven't I seen this type of thread several other times in the past? I don't post much, and I've lurked longer than I've had my account, but I honestly can't say it's changed much. I believe the main reason you're not seeing 'quality' threads anymore is because you've seen all there is to see. It becomes repetitive, and you lose interest. It's not the quality that's really being brought down.

There's always been aggression here, especially during political times. It's just what happens, and it's to be expected. A simple way of not going to those threads is just not clicking on them. There are other ways to find posts other than what pops up on the front page.

I find it funny how people will always complain about how good the old days were, when a lot of the times it really wasn't as good as you remember. Ever seen an old cartoon or something you fondly remember? Wasn't nearly as good, eh? Same thing for this. No need to get worked up.

-Will

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join