An open message to you all "Since when did this website become.....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:28 PM
Not only a place for hate, but a place that lacks love. I've been a member here for almost 2 years on and off because the site shuts down my password and I have to create a new name every couple of months. Just that fact alone woke me up to how this place works. I have never said anything against T&C, but here I am, seven or so screen names later.

Here is a link to a story posted late Thursday night and look at the response. It is indicative of what this site has become. It's truelly shameful. Not only some Mods, but the callousness of the people who visit here.

We are becoming more and more divided. The weak are severely outnumbering the strong and this site has turned into a place where those sentiments are nurtured. Block me, ban me, whatever, I'll be back to fight against the tyranny and despotism this site has become. If you don't agree with me I don't care. I've seen it with my own eyes. There no better proof. Don't take my word if you aren't sure. Hang here for awhile and watch how things go down. Also, seriously research cointelpro and the tactics used to subvert threatening movements. You will see that much of what goes on here falls right into that category. The choice is yours.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:31 PM
Oz, you are neither a whiner nor a crybaby. After being away from ATS for a few days, I logged in this afternoon and looked at the recent posts page.
My heart just literally sank. I was thinking "hate threads" even before I noticed this thread.

You can disagree with an ideology, a religion, a political group, a country, a government, a style of dress, or anything else without regurgitating vile hatred for the individuals who make up those groups.

You can express an opinion without hatred. I do understand about feeling "passion" surrounding a particular subject, which can be really a great thing. There are several subjects for which I have a great deal of passion, as most of us do.

But to constantly display hatred only speaks to the poster's character, generally far more than it does to the subject matter, and I think we can all see that. But it does get tiresome.

I am trying to be optimistic that it is just a "phase".
(When does school start?)

Also, I have noticed there is a new breed of TROLL on the boards.
It amounts to "Trolling by Questions".

Someone can make a simple one-line statement, typically an opinion, and it is bombarded with follow-up posts with fifteen to twenty questions, demanding links, and sources, with all manner of accusations and implications.

I understand asking for links and sources is entirely acceptable and even mandatory at times. But these NEW TROLLS, are using this in an attempt to intimidate, accuse, and insinuate.

A statement as benign as "it's a nice day", can be met with demands for definitions, links to weather forecasts, and what in the person's life led them to this manner of thought. If the questions are then ignored, as well they should be, the "Trolling through Questions" troll, then makes a huge big deal of "You Haven't Answered My Questions", as though the poster is absolutely obligated to respond to this manner of trolling. This is an over-simplification obviously, but nonetheless is not an unfair example.

It's absurd, and it's nothing but a thinly disguised style of trolling.

This too, shall pass. I hope.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:32 PM
I can't agree more about the hate and garbage that sometimes hit this site. I am one of the older members and like the head scratching seek and you shall find attitude.
My uptake on this follows a similar path. There is an awakening in members of all ages that are bewildered and apprehensive about what is happening to our world.
Some are locked in to personal struggles and they cannot affect any changes in their life for whatever reasons and they have to lash out and vent as they feel trapped in their own world.
They look to others for answers and some guidance as there does not seem to be any way for them to find resolution for their lives that may have been quite meaningfull at one time.
In some ways they need others to calm them down from sometimes total despair to events happening that are not understood.
I feel it is also a duty as a member to maybe throw in my two cents and show I care.
In this worl , we are all ONE!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:34 PM
I find it ironic that this comes from a person Notorious for treating the "atmospheric spraying AKA 'chemtrailer" crowd like trash.

I mean you totally forgot or hid the fact you rant all the time against people you don't like, now you are wanting them off the site for good. Thanks for the laughs, I do enjoy some good humor.

Also, threads JUST like this have been popping up EVERY WEEK for the entire 6 years I've been here. "Woe is me, ATS is garbage now, it used to be intelligent X amount of time ago." Crap.

I would hope you and the 60 people starred your post could realize how dime a dozen this type of rant really is.

I never agree with any of these rants though. I always enjoy ATS and can forgive posters I get in arguments with.

So you won't ever see me post a "ATS is getting bad" threads ever. I think it gets better all the time.

Subjective Opinion works like that. I picked a positive view.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:43 PM
Hate Speach, Personal Attacks, Belittling Others Opinions is the "TRADEMARK" of Professional Debunkers.

They do this in order to silent the opposition. Showing a disapproving attitude toward someone or their ideas will inhibit an open discussion.

Recognize the tactic, and the tactic becomes useless.

Never take it personal, it is just tactics.

Also, When this does happen, KNOW this, YOU are very close to the truth, and you are trying to be silenced.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:08 PM
You heard it folks, watch what you say, say what I say, do as I say, these topics are ok and these are not, muslims are off limits
, people of other nations are off limts. TREAD SOFTLY!!!

And the sheep applaud!..... a lot

[edit on 13-8-2010 by StarFox]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:11 PM
reply to post by StarFox

Well actually, by logic this thread is 100% outside the sites T&C..

Its whole purpose is the attack of other members....

I thought Mods were here to remove unwanted threads and posts, not disgruntled members..

So, why is it still here??? Any Mod care to elaborate????

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:22 PM
ATS members need to speak out more against threads they see as hate filled. This site is not about hate.

We need to deny hate, deny racism, deny bigotry!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:34 PM
reply to post by Dock9

I could not agree more. ATS is for the freedom to explore many topics that are not covered in the mainstream, or in everyday water cooler conversation. We all should treat each other with respect, but to say certain topics, certain people are off limits, that is the anti-thesis of this site. One can either participate or not, no one is forcing anyone to read anything that do not agree with.

When ever a large number of people gather, you are going to find the bell curve of intelligence displayed in the sample. We have our profound thinkers and we have folks better suited for X-Box 360 and comic books.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:44 PM
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I haven't seen too much of this myself...nor have I been on this site for very long, so I'm not familiar with how it was a couple of years ago. I have not seen evidence of much hatred or racism 'spewed' out at all in the time I've been here.

I have seen lots of frank and at times heated exchanges and debates between people with totally opposite points of view or sets of beliefs. I think that's good too, as long as, of course, it doesn't degenerate into an attack on the person rather than the views being expressed....which does happen too frequently IMO.

Some reflections, however....

It is to be hoped, and I think it's true, that more people are becoming aware of the truth of the way things are - and that truth is far from pretty.
When people begin to see how they are being duped by TPTB, some do become angry I think that's totally appropriate. People have every right to be angry..... IMHO better that than the dumbed down complacency of many.

I don't want to go through each of your points, but on the issue of religious intolerance, for example, I'm not sure what you specifically mean by that. But once again, people are at last waking up to the level of corruption which exists in many religions, and thank goodness they are. The belief that religions are somehow 'sacrosanct' and shouldn't be criticised is just oone more tactic to keep people silent and in the dark.

For example, I refuse to be tolerant of genocide carried out in the name of religion, or oil, or anything else. Likewise for paedophilia and worse - by ordinary people, of course, and especially by those who are representatives of any religion whatsoever. I will not remain silent or censored in my thinking or my freedom to express my outrage or my contempt for such deplorable actions.

As more and more of the truth comes out and as more and more people become aware of that truth, it seems to me totally natural that they will be angry. We are being robbed our basic rights, our money, our security, a fair judicial system, democratic elections, freedom of choice and freedom of expression, we are being lied to and duped, we are being poisoned through the water we drink, the air we breathe and the food we eat...many believe we are being 'culled' like animals and we are seeing many of our human brothers and sisters suffering the most horrendous consequences of this madness, and we are suffering too.

So, I am wary of accusations of 'racism', 'religious intolerance', 'hatred', 'prejudice' - not because I agree with any of these in essence - but because these are labels which have been criminally abused by TPTB to keep people silent about these very things.

The house is on fire, and people are becoming more vociferous - and if you want 'nice' and 'comfortable' , with the greatest of respect, I think that is to deny the reality of what is going on in our world.

Many of the truths which are emerging are very, very ugly and shocking, and many people are trying to grapple with these things and try to somehow comprehend the bigger picture which is, frankly, unimaginable and an assault on the psyche.

So, whilst I agree with you that we need to respect each other and be as courteous as we can, and as a stuation warrants, and avoid doing more violence to each other in the form of senseless and unwarranted ad hominem attacks, (IMO the mods do a pretty good job of being on the ball when such things occur and manage to strike a reasonable balance), I can't help feeling wary of the language you are using and what you seem to be implying about the way you think people 'should' be.

As the saying goes:

"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

[edit on 13-8-2010 by wcitizen]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:58 PM
Sorry Oz... late on the scene mate...

I support majority of what you are saying. Lately I'm finding it harder and harder to spend an extended time at ATS. Not many of the threads grab me for varying reasons. It's due to many of the things your saying combined with an incredible amount of ignorance, gullibility, craziness and stupidity that honestly makes me ashamed to be human some times.

I truly worry for the future of the human race.

However, having said all of that... we must be careful not to become too politically correct here and we must maintain a healthy level of free speech. I guess it's as management and staff always say; If it ain't your cup of tea, no ones forcing you to go in there.

Sometimes though, it's easier said than done huh
... If you know what I mean! PMSL

OK... I've said my piece.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:00 PM
reply to post by whatukno

Yes I agree in theory but to be honest, If you use the alert button it can take quite a while for something to be done. Mods are not here 24/7 and I think they may even have another life outside ATS..

If we all hit the Alert button at the first sign of touble, I fear the Mods would never keep up.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:08 PM
...cheer up, oz... it can always get worse... at least you have internet access and the opportunity to post your opinions... millions of people are not so lucky...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:10 PM

Oz you are so right. It is not only this site, it's the world in general. Because of the speed and the ease that information/communication can be transmitted, people post or rant because they can. In general, people feel insignificant these days because the world has become smaller and faster, there is less time to absorb and learn knowledge for discussion. Reaction happens more than thoughtful patience, the "I want it now" happens more than the "slow down, be patient" does, thus all the ideological battles happen. With that being said, money and "the biggest, loudest mouth" unfortunately gets its point across more often actual critical discussion takes place. People like you just need to keep doing what you're doing, stay true to your ideals and do not give in to losing your control. I commend you for your thread. Thanks

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:11 PM
Quote: Any thread that claims one country is better than another for whatever reason

- But it is understood that usually, depending on context) when that kind of comment is made it is referring to the policies of that country. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't express an opinion about whether they believe one countries policies to be better than another, or even evil?

Quote: Any thread that attacks communism, or any other political sect, which again most of you either use disinfo from unreliable, or propoganda websites or even blogs.

This surely is to exemplify the very thing you are criticising. Why is criticising communism or any other political agenda wrong?? What on earth is the problem with that? And 'most of you either use disinfo from unreliable or propaganda websites or even blogs' is not only inaccurate but risible condemn blogs - why? Many blogs are written by well informed, reasonable individuals. So - now you want to write blogs off as rubbish, and whilst you criticise others for rubbishing other things, you seem to think that your own particular prejudice is reasonable.

Quote: Anything that attacks Israel and the Jews, where some comments have been down right ridiculous and disrespecftul.

What is wrong with attacking Israel? I consider much of Israel's foreign policy to be vile and murderous and evil, and I hate their duplicitiy and lies. You obviously don't agree, but surely you can see that your statement is simply shows that you don't want people to express views about Israel which are different from yours.

So, that's a 'no' from me.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:12 PM
Just yesterday I followed a thread with a couple of immature super-mac-posters. Countering their own arguments and plain ignoring factual data. After long enough people who works for à living went to sleep and the immature posters postes How much they "won" cause others logged off.

I suspect with the school resuming quality will get better. Also, it seems to coincide with a radicalization of the far-right movements. Maybe some people just post anything to reach 2000 post to reach bronze and be "cool" without actually contributing qualtiy content threads.

Painfully posted from a touch phone...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:20 PM
Hello There,
I have noticed a great deal of the Thread Titles are kind of
"edge of the cliff" so to speak. Is it not, a reflection of
all the top new disappointments these days?

I was hoping to see a thread about a secret society that focuses every
electron of its power to channel ,beam,and radiate the light and
knowledge,for the benefit of mankind myself.

There are a great deal of souls here who want to make it better.
Who want to hear a good word, who want to think positive in a world
that is letting them down more and more everyday.
Who wrestle with the tumultuous emotions,the ensuing responses,and the myriad of modern distraction whether they like it or not.

People are responding to provocation in the mindset that best suits them
and their current level of understanding.

It would take a talented group of individuals to gradually change the
current topic mindset, and at the same time re introduce a new
conceptual state of awareness.

Just to let you know, It can be done. Double Plus Good

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:33 PM

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Its time for us to act ATS'ers (I know many of you want to say it, but dont know how, or dont want to). Let it be known that this kind of BS is not wanted here. We want the board of ATS to be filled with interesting, mainly conspiracy related topics, no matter how silly, or far out they are, wether we agree or not with the OP!

agreed, and personally I know that I can't help but get angry at intolerance or short-sightedness & generally anything that causes suffering, and sometimes that anger gets away from me & I post thing I don't mean, regret shortly afterwards, and numourous edits later arrive at a post that belongs here. I know the responcibility falls on me to handle my own aggression, but the abundance of button-pushing statements that as OzWeatherman says is 'polluting' the threads, doesn't make it easy to keep my cool. I miss ATS about a year ago when I had to lift my game to meet general conversation standards, I had to develop some decorum....

could it be that the slipping standards are a result of a niche becoming mainstream...? or is that just pretencious....? both?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:34 PM

I know what we should do,
turn ATS into a pirate music shop...

Hence your enlightening thread,

Help me fill my mp3 player!!!!!

Now thats real news and site worthy, lol...

Or these words of wisdom,

AAAAAAAAAAAAGH! Burnt roof of my do i soothe it?

[edit on 13-8-2010 by CynicalM]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:41 PM

Originally posted by CynicalM
reply to post by StarFox

Well actually, by logic this thread is 100% outside the sites T&C..

Its whole purpose is the attack of other members....

I thought Mods were here to remove unwanted threads and posts, not disgruntled members..

So, why is it still here??? Any Mod care to elaborate????

I interpreted the OP's intentions as motivational.

I interpret your intensions in posting the above quoted as knit picking or deliberate misunderstanding to incite an issue of conflict.

people interpret things differently.

Probably the last thread I remember having a fantastic 'community' feel to it where insulting or anti-social behaviour was quelled (qwelled?) fast, was the 'ask a cop!' semper thread in its best days.

That is not to say I don't meet fantastic members every time I log on, or that I don't still see excellent threads being posted.

Those that argue they don't know what ATS was like 2 years ago could always read some threads dated 2 years or older. Just saying.

[edit on 14/8/10 by B.Morrison]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>